Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #21
N.Hall

Bad warranty and misrepresentation of their Fulltimer units!

Upset owner
I bought a new 1014 Keystone Montana 3850 FL last year. After using it for a few weeks, we noticed a soft spot developing in the floor so we took it back to our dealer to check it out and fix a few other minor issues. The review came back as normal and within Keystones specs. It took two days to fix all the issues and we had to cover our hotel accommodations. We was told everything was fixed and would NOT have any problems living in our unit ""full time" (we are full timers due to the lack of reasonable or available housing in western ND and refuse to pay $250,000 for a $40,000 house that is falling apart!) Our Montana was over $104,000 and you would think Keystone would build their units to a quality to nearly match that value, but they do NOT! This spring, when we were able to get our unit in for our scheduled appointment to fix issues, it was discovered that our water heater had a pin hole in it since new and had been leaking ALL this time. The damage created is; two whole sections of floor which is covered in black mold, the rubber roof bubbled up and detached from the plywood, you could see the roof bowed in sections and the raised rounded sharp edges at the roof edge would eventually cut or wear through the rubber roof. The roof was so weak, I was afraid to get on top of my unit. Our unit had a dark brown substance which leaked into one of our LED lights at our doorway, most likely mold. After calling and talking to Keystone representatives numerous times and contacting the dealer we bought it from...Keystone will NOT do anything more than replace the floor. They also were good to point out to me that "ALL of their units are for recreational purposes only!" (Steven Holmes @ Keystone rv). I told them I bought their unit because it had the "FULL TIMERS PACKAGE, Going to Montana package, and Paramount package. Hey Keystone, why advertise FULL TIMERS package when you will NOT back that statement? I have no problem with our dealer, they are doing what they can. They can't believe this is happening and that Keystone won't stand behind their warranty (our unit is still under warranty). I asked Keystone if they could help with our hotel room bills, they refused, asked if they would replace our unit and they refused. Our unit, other than the issues stated, still looks like new and has NO smells of pets or smoke because we don't have either. My view on Keystone is this; they are only out to make a sale and leave the buyer to deal with issues on his/her own. They don't care about quality, only quantity they can push out the factory door. They should have replaced our unit, paid for our hotel stay, and gone after the company who caused our issues (Suburban water heater), but they won't. Once this bad ordeal is over, I will NEVER buy another Keystone rv product again and I suggest anyone else looking to buy one should do the same. As far as I can say, I bought a lemon, a real piece of junk which should have sold for $25,000 at best, NOT $104,000. I really hope my true story will help someone make an honest and good decision when buying an rv. Keystone is just too big and builds many different units for potential buyers. I would stay clear from them; there are better units out there from companies who want return customers.
N.Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #22
jsmith948

I don't know.....if the soft spot that developed in the floor was adjacent to a water source, wouldn't YOU, the owner, have been motivated to check for leaks?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #23
x96mnn

I am somewhat with the OP on this one. If a leak had started after the warranty period that caused the problem I would agree it's up to the owner to fix it. But if the issue that they have now is caused by the original problem that was fixed under warranty, should it not have all been ripped out then and repaired?
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #24
x96mnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutze5 View Post
Never have I seen such a horrible response within a forum that a addresses consumers who spend 10s of thousands of dollars with you. It is my fault you build inferior products. And now you speak to me as tho I am a criminal. I hope all take head of your response and you better believe I will use all of my resources to share EVERYWHERE what is to be expected from your company. I could have understood a response for more information or request to go offline to discuss but this?????
Schutze

If your intention to to spread word on how poorly your camper is put together and the trouble you are having to scare people from buying keystone, it will not do any good. Thor who makes keystone produces the majority of the campers on the market and you will not find a a single company that's makes a camper where there is not a person with your situation and worse. Unfortunately it happens. Personally I think you will get further by running down your dealer who sold it to you. From my time camping and owning campers the RV experience is highly influenced by the business practice of the dealer. My first camper was an rVision and I had warranty and repair issues with a dealer who would do nothing. My second camper is a sprinter that had a busted water pipe in the black flush and a awning motor go bad, but the dealer fixed it and once came to the campground I was in to do so. My experience with the sprinter is much better then the rVision but I give the dealer credit for it. Although I do find my 2012 Sprinter put together very well, may be a keeper.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #25
Steve S

Quote:
Never have I seen such a horrible response within a forum that a addresses consumers who spend 10s of thousands of dollars with you. It is my fault you build inferior products. And now you speak to me as tho I am a criminal. I hope all take head of your response and you better believe I will use all of my resources to share EVERYWHERE what is to be expected from your company. I could have understood a response for more information or request to go offline to discuss but this?????
I'm sure that if you talk this way to Keystone in e-mail, the phone or in person I'm actually not surprised that you're not getting results and just being put on the back burner....just a thought.....just a thought
Old 07-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #26
Randy_K

Quote:
I am currently a very dissatisfied owner of a Sprinter by Keystone Bunkhouse travel trailer. The unit was purchased 2 years ago when we upgraded from a Cherokee. Unfortunatley that has proven to be a big mistake for us. Our Keystone has had several on-going problems since the day that we began camping with it. The unit has been repaired over 4 times now for leaking in the center slide out. We have also had issues with drawer assemblies and even had to order 2 additional aero bed matresses for the pull out bed.

This year as we were closing up for the season we noticed an extreme amount of mold in and around the dinnette. This is after having mutiple service repairs done on the slide out within the first year of ownership. We are now being told that it will cost over $2500.00 to not only correctly repair the slide out but to replace the bench seating, carpet etc. This camper was meant to be a vacation home for us and our small children. It has turned into a money bit based on the quality issues.
7 posts in 5 years and everyone a complaint. I feel for your problems but for some reason question members that have only ever posted a complaint.

I hope you get your issues fixed.

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #27
grayghost03

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Hall View Post
Upset owner
I bought a new 1014 Keystone Montana 3850 FL last year. After using it for a few weeks, we noticed a soft spot developing in the floor so we took it back to our dealer to check it out and fix a few other minor issues. The review came back as normal and within Keystones specs. It took two days to fix all the issues and we had to cover our hotel accommodations. We was told everything was fixed and would NOT have any problems living in our unit ""full time" (we are full timers due to the lack of reasonable or available housing in western ND and refuse to pay $250,000 for a $40,000 house that is falling apart!) Our Montana was over $104,000 and you would think Keystone would build their units to a quality to nearly match that value, but they do NOT! This spring, when we were able to get our unit in for our scheduled appointment to fix issues, it was discovered that our water heater had a pin hole in it since new and had been leaking ALL this time. The damage created is; two whole sections of floor which is covered in black mold, the rubber roof bubbled up and detached from the plywood, you could see the roof bowed in sections and the raised rounded sharp edges at the roof edge would eventually cut or wear through the rubber roof. The roof was so weak, I was afraid to get on top of my unit. Our unit had a dark brown substance which leaked into one of our LED lights at our doorway, most likely mold. After calling and talking to Keystone representatives numerous times and contacting the dealer we bought it from...Keystone will NOT do anything more than replace the floor. They also were good to point out to me that "ALL of their units are for recreational purposes only!" (Steven Holmes @ Keystone rv). I told them I bought their unit because it had the "FULL TIMERS PACKAGE, Going to Montana package, and Paramount package. Hey Keystone, why advertise FULL TIMERS package when you will NOT back that statement? I have no problem with our dealer, they are doing what they can. They can't believe this is happening and that Keystone won't stand behind their warranty (our unit is still under warranty). I asked Keystone if they could help with our hotel room bills, they refused, asked if they would replace our unit and they refused. Our unit, other than the issues stated, still looks like new and has NO smells of pets or smoke because we don't have either. My view on Keystone is this; they are only out to make a sale and leave the buyer to deal with issues on his/her own. They don't care about quality, only quantity they can push out the factory door. They should have replaced our unit, paid for our hotel stay, and gone after the company who caused our issues (Suburban water heater), but they won't. Once this bad ordeal is over, I will NEVER buy another Keystone rv product again and I suggest anyone else looking to buy one should do the same. As far as I can say, I bought a lemon, a real piece of junk which should have sold for $25,000 at best, NOT $104,000. I really hope my true story will help someone make an honest and good decision when buying an rv. Keystone is just too big and builds many different units for potential buyers. I would stay clear from them; there are better units out there from companies who want return customers.
I feel for ya, we have had great results with our Montana's and dealer and Keystone service. I do find it interesting that you refuse to over pay for a house but you over paided $40,000 for the Montana. The dealer or individual probably laughed all the way to the bank. There is no reason to overpay for a rig, they have wheels and can be bought and pulled to ND.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #28
Ken / Claudia

I agree with Mr. Hall on some of his points, I would be upset to. But, the water heater was not made by keystone, the water heater maker is who needs to be talked to and pay for the damages caused by a hole (if that is the case) in their water heater. Keystone should help but, since not, go to the maker yourself. I have insurence that will pay for lodgeing, did you get that or contact them about paying for lodgeing when the RV is not able to be used. The rubber roof as I recall from seeing it installed at the factory is not attached to the plywood it lays on it. I see the water heater issuse as the same as if the tire leaked on my ford, would that be covered by ford or the tire maker. Ford might be the one who fixes it but, not at fault.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #29
fla-gypsy

Wow, my value priced (read cheap) Keystone Hornet has been great and exceeded my expectations. It is 9 years old now and I am thrilled with it still because it serves me well. Things have broken along the way and I fixed them, I think that is expected though.