Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
DBTUCSON

Bad brakes on a 2012 Keystone Alpine 3500 RE

My unit is just over one year old, I have told the selling dealer that the brales did not work properly from day one. They played around and did nothing, I called Keystone customer service, what a joke! ! ! ! I have had two trucks, a 2012 Ford F350 and now a 2013 Ram 3500. Both have the heavy tow group. The brakes where and now on the highest setting, 10. At 25-30 mph I apply the manual brake controller to the max, the trailer takes at least one-half block to stop. The trailer is not over weight at all. I have taken it to an independent shop, after they did an adjustment and a full cleaning, they say all electric readings are good, they say they have checked it with my truck and thier shop truck, there is a problem but they know not what. It would be quess work at best. And of course Keystone is no help at all. Just corporate double talk. The person I started talking with now will not return phone calls. Any ideas, or should I just sell it.
DBTUCSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Javi

The brakes on these things are pretty simple. If you're getting the correct voltage to the magnets and the shoes are in good shape and adjusted properly there is really nothing else to "FIX".

I will note that a large trailer just isn't going to stop both the truck and itself on the preverbal dime. And most of the brake controller instructions will tell you "NOT" to expect the trailer brakes to lock with a heavier trailer.

My 2890RL Passport (7K pounds) will lock the wheels on loose gravel but not on pavement. You also need to consider that the newer trucks are equipped with anti-lock brake systems and will drive an older driver crazy until they get used to them. They just don't stop like the older trucks did.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Jim & DJ

Cool

Check the voltage coming out of the 7 way male light plug. Just replaced mine and what a difference........
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
bartbill

Brake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post
Check the voltage coming out of the 7 way male light plug. Just replaced mine and what a difference........
Just been reading the threads on issue. Just figured out my front disk brakes on my Ford (four wheel disc) seems to be doing most of the stopping.

So: could you expand on your answer above. I have a 28' Copper Canyon. Manual application at 25mph will slow the rig but nowhere near skidding the tires.

Any thought are appreciated

btw; just replaced all wheel bearings and adjusted the brakes . Brakes shoes are clean. Could it be the control unit. what about a bad ground? Brake lights and tail lights are bright

Best regards

Best regards
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
bsmith0404

I don't put much faith in the manual brake controller at max. I've had two different trailers that I felt just didn't have enough brake when I did the tug test with the controller at max, just rolled too easy although still effective enough to be a valid test. Then I had an emergency stopping situation in traffic one day, when I hit the brake pedal hard all 4 tires locked up on the camper. Another time the cable on the break away switch got tangled up and pulled out, locked all 4 tires in the middle of an intersection. The breaks obviously worked well when needed, but don't seem like much is there when you max the manual on the controller.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

The poster does not make much sense. Any shop that works on any car or RV will be able to fix any brake problem. What I cannot understand He took the RV and has had it for over a year with brakes not working correctly. Since he asked, I say sell it so, no one is going to be run over because you pull it on public roads without a proper way to stop or get them fixed. Who pays for the fix, Keystone, the dealer, dexter or you? The day after you left the dealer up to a year that would be easy to say, now, after a year, good luck.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

The OP, DBTUCSON, joined the forum on 07-26-2014 and submitted the above post on the same day. FYI, it was his one and only post and has not had any activity on the forum since that time - almost a year ago.

I think we might be wasting our time responding to his brake problem.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:42 AM   #8
bsmith0404

Never noticed the date of the original post.....I was wondering how he had a 2012 that was only a year old.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #9
bartbill

What was the voltage; what was it supposed to be. What exactly did you replace. I'd appreciate it if you could expand on your reply.

Best

Bill
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
roadglide

Interesting I have the brake controal set at 6 on my 2013 LML Durmax and can feel the lugging what else is there at 21500 GVW? I hope i don't have to lock it up where the Impact 311 burn the tires off. Driving slow, leave a lot of room for other vehicle and pumping the brakes works for me.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:49 AM   #11
jrhaman

I had same problem in my 2011 Alpine. Took it to an axle shop and they found all wheels were so overloaded with grease they had to replace all the hubs. So much grease they could not be cleaned. Keystone agreed to pay $985 of the $1100 bill. Btw I no longer own a Keystone product. Problems with the Alpine were too numerous.