Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
canula2

New Fifth Wheel Owner

We are getting ready to take delivery on our first fifth wheel on Monday 7-18-11. It is a Cougar 26SAB......Any advice on things to look out for or pitfalls to avoid.......Thanks a lot and we enjoy looking through this site Happy Camping Everyone!!!!!!!!
A 2010 Dodge
2012 Cougar
canula2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. If you do a forum search for PDI You will find that one of our members (Flyguy) has available on his personal webpage a downloadable Inspection sheet to go over everything with your dealer BEFORE you take possession of the trailer. Have them repair or at least document anything you find before handing over the $$$$$. Make sure they show you how everything works and take notes. Hope this helps and good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
canula2

Thanks Hank, have checked out the PDI and it is very helpful. We are by nature careful people and plan to go over everything with fine tooth comb. Have a great week!!
A 2010 Dodge
2012 Cougar
Old 07-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
hankaye

canula2, Howdy;

Start early it may take some time to compleate ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
anthonbloom

Checklists for a newbie

When I started as a 5th wheel hauler I made up a couple of simple checklists, one for departure and one for arrival. This may help to prevent forgetting to disconnect your shoreline or water hose, leaving the tv antenna up, windows open, fridge door open, cupboards open, full kettle on the stove, the steps out, door unlatched, the brakes/lights unconnected, the emergency brake unconnected, lock handle unlocked, unhitching with the tailgate up and dragging the trailer with with the landing gear down.
Maybe all these things didn't happen to me, but most of them did! Establish a routine for checking inside and out and do it every time. When driving remember you are towing a heavy weight, avoid using your brakes when you can use gearing down or engine braking, learn how wide to swing to clear the kerb or obstacles on the passenger side. Have good rear view mirrors and be aware of other drivers who are anxious to get past you and drive at a speed you are comfortable with. If you feel you are holding up traffic, pull over and let them pass. Remember you should be having a relaxing and enjoyable experience so don't build in stress by setting a timetable that makes you pressed for time.
Good luck with your new trailer and I hope you come to look forward to weekends as much as I do.
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
canula2

@ anthonbloom
I know it's a late response, but thanks for all the info
A 2010 Dodge
2012 Cougar
Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
forest376

We purchased a 26SAB last year. No problems or issues. A real pleasure to own! I have learned a lot from this forum, folks here are great!
forest376 is offline   Reply With Quote