Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
fasterem

Rookie stabilizer jack question

So up to this point I've only had\needed those cheapo hand turn onesm well with my new springdale I have power jacks soooooo my question is, what is the proper\best way to use them?

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2
fasterem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterem View Post
So up to this point I've only had\needed those cheapo hand turn onesm well with my new springdale I have power jacks soooooo my question is, what is the proper\best way to use them?

Just wondering what is the matter with "those cheapo hand turn" stabilizers? We've had them on every TT and 5th that we've ever owned and they have served us very well. Not one has ever failed us. No burned out motors - nothing. Other than an extra minute or two (at the most) to raise and lower them, they are just fine thank you.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
fasterem

Lol well I don't think there is anything wrong with them, I just have power now and want to make sure I'm doing it prop, and I disagree the hand crank ones are faster than power lol lol

Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I was referring to the manual "cheapos" as taking a minute or two longer to raise and lower - not the powered ones.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
CUFFS054

Fasterem,
Good question. I too am new to the RV thing and my first TT came with what I guess is electric stabilizers (as opposed to jacks?). Anyway I don't know what to do with them either. Are you supposed to extend till the motor stops? How about side to side level should you shim the low side? I have found manuals for every system in my TT but this.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
fasterem

Well my thought is this, get it leval with boards under tired for side to side then use tonge jack to level front to back, once level, lower front stab jacks till you see its putting pressure one the ground, then go to back and do the same thing, I don't believe these are leveling jacks, stabilizers only, even tho atleast with mine they will pick the whole trailer up if ya hold the button in long enough lol

Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
CUFFS054

fasterem,
That is pretty much how mine is set, but I still have a good bit of side to side rocking. I know there are other stabilizers out there, but whats the point of the ones I have?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Mighty Ming

You are on the right track but you forgot a cold brew in your hand. The only way I can do that is if I have the DW crank em down with the 18v drill while I supervise and nourish myself However as you figured that doesn't happen very often. Enjoy the electric jacks. Just installed a new Barker electric tongue jack. Beats hand cranking especially in this southern Calif Santa Ana weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Georgia Rambler

I love the power tongue jack, but would rather have the manual rear and front stabilizers over the power ones. They are much faster when using a drill.

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Ming View Post
You are on the right track but you forgot a cold brew in your hand. The only way I can do that is if I have the DW crank em down with the 18v drill while I supervise and nourish myself However as you figured that doesn't happen very often.

Mingo -
I reckon that this not only doesn't happen very often but also that it NEVER happens. Somehow, I have a great deal of difficulty picturing you standing over your wife with a cold brew while she lowers the stabilizers .
I think you've been standing out in that Santa Ana weather weather and sun far too long.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
CUFFS054

Guys/Gals, please forgive me for beating a dead horse but you use the terms "jack" and "stabilizer" interchangeable. Are they the same thing?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

From my perspective, a stabilizer is just that --- it stabilizes the RV from front to back and side to side movement. It's function is not to lift. Jacks, on the other hand, are used to lift the RV - one for a TT and two for a 5th wheel. They are not, IMO, the same thing and perform two separate and different functions.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
Georgia Rambler

Jack- is something that will "jack" or lift something. EX the jack on the front of a travel trailer, using it to lift it off the hitch. Or the landing gear on a 5th wheel, They are built and designed to take the weight of the trailer.

Stabilizer- is really only meant to stabilize the trailer from excessive movement, and not designed or built to lift it up. They are located on the rear of the trailer and sometimes the front also (depends on your type of camper).

I hope this helps, but everyone kinda has their "own" terms for stuff.

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Courtland
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterem View Post

I would assume that they would be no different than the manual ones. Level the trailer side to side and then front to rear. Then lower the rear ones down with a push of the button and ensure they have tension to stabilize the trailer. Raise the front of the trailer if needed to once again level the front to rear.
My buddies 08 Keystone Fuzion 362 when its just the guys.
https://www.keystonerv.org
https://www.desertriders.org/forums
Courtland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Bushman512000

Drill yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Rambler View Post
I love the power tongue jack, but would rather have the manual rear and front stabilizers over the power ones. They are much faster when using a drill.
I have a 5er and use the drill also so when Your better than our jacks fail see what they cost to repair lol Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Rambler View Post
I wouldn't be without a powered tongue jack, ever! I agree using the Dewalt 18v makes quick work of the stabilizer jacks and not one has ever failed me!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Mighty Ming

Yup just gotta be careful when using a 18 volt drill

Go Padres!!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
Mighty Ming

Cont-- the torque will break your wrists. Only takes about 2 -1/2 seconds to lower or raise them. Yup the drill is that fast just be careful. But sure beats hand cranking any day.

Go Padres!!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Ming View Post
Cont-- the torque will break your wrists. Only takes about 2 -1/2 seconds to lower or raise them. Yup the drill is that fast just be careful. But sure beats hand cranking any day.

If you're concerned about your wrists and the drill twisting in your hands, almost all the larger (14.2V and bigger) drill motors have an adjustable torque setting just behind the chuck. Just turn it down a little, and when you reach a certain torque, it'll start clicking rather than twisting in your hands.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
Mighty Ming

Yes sir you're correct. I usually do crank the power down. But every now and then it bites you. 😂

Go Padres!!