Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #61
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
I was referring to the original poster...maybe you didn't read it? LOL!!!
As far as your comment "My wife and I live alone, we visit virtually no one, so I am the one that's going to get exposed not vice versa"
That's only half correct. As soon as you come into proximity of a infected person or a place where a infected person has touched depending on the material it could be three days. You or the other person may not have any symptoms but the risk of catching it from each other is the same.
If as you were at Walmart with "along with the hundreds upon hundreds of other folks there" then you have potentially been exposed to it by each person you came into proximity with and everything that they touched that you touch also. That's just the way pandemics work.
As far as being afraid..... there's no point. I survived 17 years L.E. Hit by a car, 11 surgeries, two strokes, heart surgery. I was born with a compromised immune system so I hit all the boxes. I know that I am at higher risk of getting it but the other side of the coin is if I'm exposed I am at higher risk of passing it.
I'm fortunate that I have kids that will shop for me if needed along with a couple of other neighbors who we have agreed to provide food for each other if one gets the virus.
Common sense, planning for the possible worse if needed and time......this too will pass.

Sorry, I had read the original post...just not reread it. And I agree with you and think we are on the same page. Unfortunately we don't have anyone to shop for us....that's me, and I tried using the order on the internet then pick up thing....useless. Drove 50 miles yesterday after placing an order I thought they had the items I wanted....pretty small list but unavailable here; made the drive (in a driving rainstorm), sat in the parking lot for 30 minutes and a fellow came out and said he was sorry but they didn't have the items!! Told him it would have been nice for the "system" to tell me it was unavailable instead of jumping thru hoops then find everything was out of stock. So, went to Walmart; parking lot packed as far as you can see - completely crazy. As you said, we all have to do our best to minimize contacts....if we can. Good luck to you and, as you observed, this too shall pass.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #62
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Just walking into Walmart, even if someone is positive there, would not automatically infect you. You would have to come into contact with them or into contact with something else they touched.
Which, in WalMart, means pretty much everything on the shelves. And that's not even mentioning the stockboys.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #63
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgebone View Post
i couldnt agree more. the common flu is WAY worse. this is all due to media sensationalism causing people to panic
I'm hooked into a mailing list of immunology pros at MIT, and they keep making the valid point that it's not meaningful to rely on comparisons between an entire year's morbidity/mortality figures for a common flu, and the figures that right now only cover the very earliest stages of this one. We don't know how long this one is going to last, and how many it will take in the next 12 months (or would if we were't reacting as we are)..
Old 03-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #64
Northofu1

Some interesting stats
https://informationisbeautiful.net/v...phic-datapack/

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #65
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post

Very interesting and enlightening, I hope for some. The last box points out why there is so much hysteria. Not saying it could not, and will not, get worse, but absolutely nothing to warrant the media trying to blow this completely out of proportion and to run the sheeples off the edge of a cliff (whichever one that might be)...and they are doing a good job.

Established facts are good; definitive, practical medical advice is good; using inflated hyperbole ("carving a path of death across the country") is not only unwarranted but dangerous...as we are seeing. Those at risk are put far more at risk by this kind of sensationalism....meaningless drivel to me. Facts; look at the facts. Take precautions; be careful.

Be thoughtful of those around you. Think about the population more at risk; do you really need to buy those 2 30 pack rolls of toilet paper (limit) for the 3rd time today to make sure others, who are trying to be responsible, must come to the store time and again, exposing themselves, just to get a package? This is happening around the country and I cannot fathom why except people feel fear of the unknown. If that's the case I can't imagine how they could ever walk out their door, get in a vehicle and drive.

Sorry....just got back from another depressing trip to the store to try to find milk....did find some brand of peanut butter I never heard of though....last jar.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #66
Rosendale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Curiosity question for those who are traveling in the southern states. Are the Canadian snowbirds worried at all about getting back north across the border? It came up because a friend’s son is at university in Winnipeg, and they are going to online learning for the rest of the semester. She’s worried about getting up there (and back) if the border is likely to be shut down. My thought was to not worry too much yet because of the number of snowbirds that are down here and will want to get home, but ...?
I am Canadian and understand all Canadians can come home, however, have to self quarantine for 2 weeks once here, if infected longer
Rosendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #67
travelin texans

Heard today that some of the TP hoarders are now trying to return some of their stockpiled paper in exchange for groceries or refunds, fortunately stores are saying "no way".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #68
RET.LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgebone View Post
sourdough

i couldnt agree more. the common flu is WAY worse. this is all due to media sensationalism causing people to panic creating knee jerk policy from govt officials. it will get worse in the coming months but i doubt it will infect or kill as many as the common flu does every year. this irresponsible and unwarranted reporting
In full agreement!!!!
The media is in full swing on a two week rant as they usually do. If it's not the President it's this virus.......... a couple of major networks are really practicing "yellow journalism" and are exaggerating this for sensationalism.

Yes, it is severe but creating and feeding people's fears accomplishes nothing.
All they have done is scare people, create panic on the Stock Exchange Floor that cost a lot of 401K's to lose tens of thousands. I have lost the price of a new Class C because of it. It will take a while for things to turn around (and it will) but in the meantime I'm not panicking.......... my contributions are buying stocks at a bargain basement price.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #69
jimborokz

Some real facts to ease the panic.
I just watched NY's governor on his daily news conference. NY has the most cases and is also doing the most testing, 16,000 per day. That may mean it has the most stats.
They now have over 22,000 confirmed cases and 157 deaths. That calculates to under .1% fatality rate, similar to normal flu levels.
The thing to remember is we all have antibodies for the flu, but the only people with antibodies for Covid 19 are people that have had it and recovered. That means this is much more contagious than the flu. So we need to still more than ever practice isolation from one another. Call it social distancing, staying in place, hiding, what ever. Just do it.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #70
jsmith948

I wonder if they are cooking the books. The mortality rate is 1.2 percent here but 4.3 percent worldwide.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #71
Ken / Claudia

A point no one was brought up in the media. The homeless/druggies/mentally ill. Include the illegal drug trade. Those will not follow rules no matter what happens. The homeless will travel anywhere they want, sleep, eat, buy and do drugs with anyone. In the cities they are much like rats. Many do not see them, but know their around. They use many of the same restrooms, sidewalks,parks,hiking trails,restaurants, stores,businesses etc etc. as regulator citizens. They will be brought into the same medical places as you and your family. How fast will the flu spread through a homeless shelter? and back into the streets.
Time will tell how bad that group affects the rest of the country. I fear they will keep the problem going around longer than we think or have been told.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #72
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
I wonder if they are cooking the books. The mortality rate is 1.2 percent here but 4.3 percent worldwide.
So you are saying there are over 1500 deaths and they are hiding that fact?
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #73
Ken / Claudia

Just to add on to bad news, not many are saying this. Police are not to contact anyone unless it is a call for help through 911. That means no traffic enforcement, not much investigative work. If bad guys are caught doing criminal stuff, only the worst of the worst offenders will be taken to jail. All others released at the scene.
That's here in Oregon by order, I doubt your state is much different, but not talked about.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #74
dutchmensport

Well, it's been 8 days since this thread started. A lot has happened since then. NY, CA, and WA are in a lock-down mode. My daughter lives in Hawaii, and she pinged us this morning saying Hawaii is now in lock-down "Shelter in place". Indiana just announced a "Shelter in place" order beginning Wednesday 3/25. Someone said they couldn't believe the Gov't could or would shut down everything. So, after 8 days, we are not seeing any improvements in our situation. Things are only getting tougher. Grocery stores are actively rationing the amount of items one can buy. That hasn't happened since World War 2, long before most of us were even alive.

Fact or fiction about the virus, believe what you may or not, threat or not, but the reality is, our world is locking down on us fast now and these changes are affecting our former way of life. This we cannot deny.

This is a magnificant opportunity for each of us to show kindness, love, and compassion for each other. To pray for one another, to reach out to each other, and to help each other as we are able. If in the end, we all die anyway and there's nothing we could have done to prevent that, it would be nice to come face-to-face with my maker and see he has a smile when I stand in front of him, instead of him frowning at me!
Old 03-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #75
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Well, it's been 8 days since this thread started. A lot has happened since then. NY, CA, and WA are in a lock-down mode. My daughter lives in Hawaii, and she pinged us this morning saying Hawaii is now in lock-down "Shelter in place". Indiana just announced a "Shelter in place" order beginning Wednesday 3/25. Someone said they couldn't believe the Gov't could or would shut down everything. So, after 8 days, we are not seeing any improvements in our situation. Things are only getting tougher. Grocery stores are actively rationing the amount of items one can buy. That hasn't happened since World War 2, long before most of us were even alive.

Fact or fiction about the virus, believe what you may or not, threat or not, but the reality is, our world is locking down on us fast now and these changes are affecting our former way of life. This we cannot deny.

This is a magnificant opportunity for each of us to show kindness, love, and compassion for each other. To pray for one another, to reach out to each other, and to help each other as we are able. If in the end, we all die anyway and there's nothing we could have done to prevent that, it would be nice to come face-to-face with my maker and see he has a smile when I stand in front of him, instead of him frowning at me!
It will get worse and quickly because these things grow exponentially, not linearly. For example, see Italy death rate.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #76
Northofu1

Here's a running count worldwide. Updates daily.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Ontario just declared all nonessential business' to close. Premier doesn't want to use force.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #77
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It will get worse and quickly because these things grow exponentially, not linearly. For example, see Italy death rate.
Not to make comparisons, but if you look at Italy's ICU wards and compare them to the USA's ICU rooms, there's a world of difference in "state funded health care and private health care".... Italy is "in over their head" in many situations ranging from running hot and cold water in every home to smoking/alcohol use as a contributing factor to overall health. There's a reason wine is served (rather than water) with Italian meals.

Yeap, Michigan's Governor announced a "mandatory/self-imposed" shelter in place order that becomes effective at midnight tonight. In her release, she stated, "The number of cases is growing exponentially". In just one week the number of positive cases has grown from 0 to over 1,000... Clearly omitted from that statement is the fact that Michigan did not start testing until "the last 7 days"... So, while the number of positive cases is growing, to make the "inference" that it's grown to over 1000 when there was no means to know how many there were "before testing started" is disingenuous at best and pandering with statistics to increase emotional impact.

Why can't politicians simply stick to the facts and stop trying to "carve that path of death and destruction across our nation".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #78
goducks

Quote:
Italy did nothing at the onset. Italy is roughly the size of New Mexico.
60M people live in Italy.
If you put all the people that live in CA, NY and NM in NM you'd have Italy.
Fortunately the US is spread out, unfortunately we have huge cities with dense populations.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #79
Bob R

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Italy did nothing at the onset. Italy is roughly the size of New Mexico.
60M people live in Italy.
If you put all the people that live in CA, NY and NM in NM you'd have Italy.
Fortunately the US is spread out, unfortunately we have huge cities with dense populations.
Italy also has a high population of Chinese who work in the garment industry and a lot of them and their families travel back and forth pretty much as they want. Also add to that approximately 4 million Chinese visitors to Italy every year.

Then let's get into health care, comparing Italy's healthcare to the US healthcare is like comparing apples to T10 top loaders. It just isn't the same.

And finally, Italy has the WORST nurse to patient ration of any country in the EU. When nurses here go on strike for better conditions the number 1 thing is almost always better nurse to patient ratio. We know that having an adequate number of Nurses will lower the mortality rate. So whenever your local Nurses try to get better staffing ratios you should be there supporting them, after all you are the ones they take care of.

bob
Old 03-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #80
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Why can't politicians simply stick to the facts and stop trying to "carve that path of death and destruction across our nation".....
Just like the new media, it's called "sensationalism". Everyone want to be the first to spread news that will "shock" everyone and everything. Statistics are always misleading and skewed to support whoever has the most sensationalism to gain by them.

I really appreciated the President's message yesterday when he said, One out of every 10 people who are tested have the virus. He then quickly turned that around and said, Nine out of 10 people do not. These are the ones who are actually getting tested. What he was saying, in essence was, a lot of people are wanting to get tested when they really don't need to (yet).

Now, take that percentage. Which side are you on:

10 percent of all tested are found positive with the virus.

90 percent of all tested are found negative for the virus.

Now spin that on the news, by politicians, and which side do you think they'll spin! Yea, the 10% and they'll spin it real good to create anxiety and fear and sensationalism. Not a word is said about the other 90%.

That's why the President's statement about the 10% and the 90% impressed me so much. He stated the FACT, not the anxiety!

Well, anyway, be kind to each other. This thing will pass. Enjoy the benefits and blessings and look for the good in everything. (In spite of the doom and gloom, there really are some good things coming out of this).

The angels said to the shephards at the birth of Jesus, "Fear not!" and I think those words are still good for us today!