Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
Patrick Ely

Angry Where is quality control?????

I purchased a new Montana 3400RL in Sept of 2009. I was told that it was a quality built unit. I spent a lot of money thinking that it was and planned on using it for retirement. I'm now retired and have not been able to use it yet. It is a true lemon! Here is a list of problems that I have had and I have towed it less than 3000 miles since new. 1. Strings in day/ nite shades broke. 2. all slides leaked with first rain. (improper sealant was used on seams.) 3. fireplace defective. I was shipped a new one which I replaced. 4. Refrigerator quit two times. Cooling unit was replaced. 5. Hydraulic ram on kitchen slide leaked. No warranty so I ordered one and replaced it myself. 6. Bathroom pocket door fell from ceiling during short trip to Bodega Bay.No access so I had to cut a hole into pantry to repair it. 7. Check valve on black tank flush leaked inside wall. Again no access. Another hole in pantry. 8.The side wall in front closet sheered. Front cap removed and I have pictures showing front wall wasn't positioned between bottom of side walls before securing! Screws missed side studs! They will be repairing it by taking it to the factory but I will have been making payments, license and insurance on it and haven't been able to use it for close to a year! I have had other problems which I won't even mention! I'm a mechanic so I have made all repairs except the refrigerator. Unbelievable lack of quality!
Patrick Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I think the only quality control any RV manufacturer has is "how many did we push out the door today". Sad, but true.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

You purchased it in 2009 and have not been able to use it yet, it is 2015. Some legal advice may be the only way to correct the problems. I would not pay and keep anything that could not be used for 6 years without a trip to a lawyer about in year 1.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
theeyres

Something isn't adding up here. Six years and you still can't use it? If it were my unit I would have had it all fixed in two or three months or I would have had my lawyer talking to Keystone. What's really going on?

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Patrick Ely

The first year it was the shades and the slide roof leaks. It was 75 miles each way to the dealer and I would have to leave it there for about a week. It was easier and cheaper for me to fix that. Then we have only taken short trips and planned on traveling after retirement. All of these things keep happening. I didn't even mention the front jack problem, the toilet, and the bathroom faucet. My wife and I are very meticulous. I'm also a federally licensed aircraft mechanic so I have very good mechanical skills. We have been working with Keystone about this for quite some time and were advised to not tow it. I am about at the end of my patience!
Patrick Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:15 AM   #6
Javi

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but most of those things are just stuff that happens on a rolling house and it sounds like Keystone is going to fix the front wall/cap back at the factory.

Should all this happen, NO and in a perfect world our RV's would be as well built as our autos. But this isn't a perfect world and as long as we all keep buying them the manufacturers will continue to crank them out.

When we buy these things we have to accept that they will eventually leak, something is always going to be broken and they will always require more maintenance than a stick & brick home.

The DW and I looked at a $1,000,000.00 motor home this weekend, now that was a well built RV... but I bet stuff still breaks
Old 02-09-2015, 05:50 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The DW and I looked at a $1,000,000.00 motor home this weekend, now that was a well built RV... but I bet stuff still breaks

Yes it does. And can cost a whole lot more to fix.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #8
GaryWT

As others said, over 6 years things do happen and quality control can not guess on what might break in 5 or so years. Yes it would have been nice if it did not leak and the shades worked as it left the floor so... The fridge is not made by Keystone so not much to say there. I find that a good dealer and a good relationship goes a long way. Last issue I had, they ordered the parts from emails and pictures and I brought in the trailer on the day I had an appointment and they fixed it while I waited. Saved big time on time. Good luck. Six year old trailer, must be time for an upgrade anyway, lol.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #9
jsmith948

We tell the RV manufacturers (through what it is that we buy) that we want our RVs to be longer and lighter with more home-like amenities and then some of us are disappointed with the "quality". It has been mentioned on here before. Take a building constructed of light gauge aluminum tubing, fiberglass shell and 1x2 or 2x2 interior walls covered with 1/8 luan and bolt it to a 35' flatbed trailer, then tow it down the road at highway speed. It is a wonder, given how much twisting and bouncing these things are subjected to that they don't disintegrate going down the road. Our little Cougar is holding up just fine. Keep the glue and tools handy. If you don't like tinkering around with these 'toys' you will spend a lot of money on repairs. Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
dfb
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I hate to burst anyone's bubble but most of those things are just stuff that happens on a rolling house and it sounds like Keystone is going to fix the front wall/cap back at the factory.

Should all this happen, NO and in a perfect world our RV's would be as well built as our autos. But this isn't a perfect world and as long as we all keep buying them the manufacturers will continue to crank them out.

When we buy these things we have to accept that they will eventually leak, something is always going to be broken and they will always require more maintenance than a stick & brick home.

Things do break, but we are talking ****ty work here. If you have a suburban water heater, and they failed to hook up the electrical, or the water lines leak, that's crappy workmanship! It's one thing to give a quality product at a fair value, and another thing not building that product right!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote