Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Greenfeet83

Roof rotted under rubber covering

I have a 2011 Fuzion 322 TH. We bought it in Nov '12 from a private party. Since we've had it, it stays covered in the winter and when not being used for extended periods.

In Feb of this year, we had a big ice storm (big by the NC standard) and as a result had 2 holes punctured in front of the forward A/C unit. Each puncture was less than the size of a silver dollar. When I took it in for repair, I should the service writer the 2 areas. As we walked around the rest of the roof, the tech commented on what good shape the roof was in. As we went to climb down, I noticed that water had pooled in the curb side rear corner at one point so I went to look at why there was a low spot. What I found was that the plywood under the roof had rotted away. About the size of a coffee can. When they pulled the roof back it was dry under there and NO sign of cracks or leaks in the rubber membrane or sealant. The tech estimates that water was caught under the rubber roof during construction and it eroded the wood.

I'm not sure how it happened, but know that there was no externally visible issues. It was $1400 to have it fixed.

Any ideas as to what may have caused it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Greenfeet83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

All of the Keystone assembly lines are indoors, the frames, floors, walls, ceiling/roof are all constructed in a dry, heated/cooled building. The EPDM is applied during that construction process. About the only two things I can come up with are that the OSB that was used to sheet your roof was wet (?) or had some damage that was either overlooked, ignored or not noticed. If that isn't the cause, possibly there was a missing bead of sealant at one of the roof vents/stacks and later on after delivery to the original owner, someone noticed that missing sealant and applied a bead to the area. Then, when you and your roof repair crew were looking at the other damage and you noticed the problem with the low spot, all the sealant appeared intact because it had been previously repaired (?)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Greenfeet83

After showing pics to another RV repair place, their best guess is that the OSB/plywood was wet when it was installed and the moisture had no where to go. After a very thorough inspection, all the caulking is in place and seems appear to be intact. The guy I bought it from had it parked under an awning and had it less than a year. It's never been stored out in the open since I've had it.
Everyone thinks it's the other guys fault. I'm out $1400, but it is fixed. And all the other caulk has been redone!!

Thanks for the input!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Greenfeet83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Bittersweet end to your problem, but hopefully it's the end. Now time to get to camping and enjoying your investment !!!

The lesson to take away from this "adventure" is that water leaks and EPDM roofs don't mix. Many people say annual inspections aren't frequent enough. Keystone suggests frequent inspections of roof condition and sealant repair as required. I check my roof 3 or 4 times from April (when I pull it out of the barn) until the end of November (when it goes back into the barn). Sometimes I wonder if I inspect it often enough..... Hmmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
kellydog98

Is there an APP for that?

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

APP??? After 45+ years of being tied to an "electric rope" (from telephone standby at home to pagers to digital pagers to bag phones to cell phones) during my working years, I refuse to even carry a cell phone now. APPs are for "smart phones" and the ones around this house are "smart enough" to know to stay out of my pockets.... LOL So, maybe someone else could answer the "APP availability" I'm "smart phone challenged"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
kellydog98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
APP??? After 45+ years of being tied to an "electric rope" (from telephone standby at home to pagers to digital pagers to bag phones to cell phones) during my working years, I refuse to even carry a cell phone now. APPs are for "smart phones" and the ones around this house are "smart enough" to know to stay out of my pockets.... LOL So, maybe someone else could answer the "APP availability" I'm "smart phone challenged"
The APP line was just a joke. However, I keep a grandkid around to help me...just a suggestion. Lol.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote