Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
caberto

Dumping questions on 324rlb

Hi all, we have a new Keystone Cougar 2010 324RLB, and have been out twice in it.

I have some questions regarding dumping:

I have two drain pipes, one says black, one says gray.

I also have two drain levers in the left storage area, one gray and one black.

In addition, I have one lever next to each drain pipe outlet, which are not marked with anything.

The two drain pipes make sense to me (one black, one gray). However, I've noticed that even if I keep the hose connected to the black drain pipe, and pull the gray water lever in the compartment, I still get something draining from there (the black drain pipe).

I also have a nagging suspicion that the two drain levers in the storage compartment are labeled wrong - the black lever is on the right, and the gray is on the left side if you're facing the levers.

How many tanks do I really have here (the trailer bottom is completly enclosed, so I can't see the tanks)? There is the main bathroom with shower, sink and toilet, and there is a rear bathroom with only toilet and sink. Then there is the kitchen of course. I don't know where all these drain. The manual is pretty generic (not model specific) and not very helpful in this regard.

The control panel has lights for 1 black tank, 2 gray tanks, 1 galley, and 1 fresh water tank, but I don't know if that's just a standard panel used for all trailers.

Finally, what are the other two levers for (one next to each of the drain pipe outlets)? If I pull these out, I get more (better?) flow when dumping... is it for allowing air in?

Oh, I also have the black tank flush option, so can I keep the gray tank dump open? I find the gray tank gets full every 1.5 days or so with 5 of us.

OK, one more question... how do I drain the fresh water tank? Again, I can't see the tanks underneath the unit, as the bottom is enclosed.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the long post - but am rather confused.

Thanks!
caberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
ptodd47

Sounds to me like you have 3 grey tanks and 1 black. If you have the 2 bathrooms they should be on a grey tank for each, then you have a kitchen sink tank and finally a black tank.

If you are hooked up to a campground sewer system leave the greys open and the black closed. Don't drain the black till it's full or untill you leave. The longer you can wait to drain it the better chance for the solids to turn liquid and the toilet paper will break down and not clog your system up. After you drain the black use the tank flush for 15 minutes of so to get rid of everything.

The 2 drains that arent marked are probably your low point drains for winterizing. One will drain your water lines and one will drain the fresh water tank.

By the way, I have 4 levers (3 grey and one black) and the grey and black were marked wrong so its possible that happened to you too.

If you still need help you can call Keystone directly and they are pretty good about answering questions about your rig.

Phil
Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

From looking at your floor-plan I would say you have 2 black water (one for each toilet) and 2 gray water ( one for galley and ½ bath sink and one for shower and full bath sink) Get yourself a clear elbow for the sewer connection and you will be positive which valve dumps what.
As for the fresh water drain ... there is a short piece of tubing sticking out of the sealed under-belly with either a cap or a small valve on it. This should be near where your fresh water fill is. There will also be 2 short tubes near the full bath for low point drains.
Hope this helps, Hank ...... Boy I wish we had the extra ½ bath.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
caberto

Thanks for the replies - great info!

That clear elbow sounds like a good idea, if a little gross
caberto is offline   Reply With Quote