Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2024, 05:26 PM   #1
Tboy

No power to fridge - 2021 Cougar 366RDS 5th Wheel

I have a 2021 Cougar 366 RDS 5th wheel, and yesterday my Domestic Side by Side fridge would not work on a/c, only gas. After doing some investigating, I found the outlet that the fridge is plugged into does not have power, along with one GFI outlet on the other side of the camper by the stove, a outlet along the back wall of the 5th wheel for the TV and a outlet under the table/booth not working. The fridge and the table/booth on both on the same slide out.

I checked the fuse panel that is located in the closet pantry by the fridge and none of the breakers/fuses were blown or tripped. I also checked the In Command control board and I did not find any wiring or bus fuses dedicated for the fridge.

I don't know where else to look to find out where the power to the fridge originates at this point.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Tracy
Tboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 05:39 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would cycle all the breakers by turning them all the way off and then back on. After that I would look for the GFCI outlet with the reset, often times in the bathroom.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:46 PM   #3
Tboy

I actually switched all the breakers off, then back on in the breaker panel. I also, changed the GFI outlet in the bathroom last year, as it feed the outlet in my storage bay. That GFI outlet is not on the same line as the outlets that are not working at this time.

One of the outlets that is not working is a GFI outlet and I was banking on that outlet being bad, however, it is at the end of the line and there is no power to that outlet anyway.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:01 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Gfci outlet should be at the beginning of the circuit it’s protecting.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:24 AM   #5
Tboy

Exactly, however, this GFI is over the counter in the kitchen area and is intended to be used for a coffee maker or toaster, I presume. The outlet only has wires coming into it and not out of if leading to another outlet.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:49 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd start by plugging the refrigerator into an extension cord and making sure it works on electric with a different power source. It may be that the refrigerator is "tripping the breaker making it not have power at the outlet". If the reefer works on an extension cord, then I'd try to find the back side of the reefer outlet which is probably inside a cabinet that shares the common wall. Follow the ROMEX from the back of the reefer outlet to see where it goes. It should be connected to a GFCI, but that doesn't mean the worker at Keystone actually connected it or whether they "winged a different power source"....

Follow the ROMEX and you'll likely find another GFCI or a loose wire nut or a different issue "along the wire"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:17 PM   #7
Tboy

John, I did just that this past weekend. I plugged the fridge into an extension cord and it worked perfectly for two days. I traced the power supply to a plug coming from the underside of the slide out, but I don't know where it goes from there. I'm trying to figure out where the wires come from to feed the fridge.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:02 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If the outlets are all "on the same slideout", then I'd look for the MOLEX connector in the trailer that connects the ROMEX to the braided wire coil that goes to the slide body. I'd suspect that MOLEX connector or the braided coil where it goes up into the slide floor. Usually, the first "in the slide outlet" is a surface mount outlet and converts the braided wire back to ROMEX that then goes throughout the slide.

Here's photos of the MOLEX connector, probably mounted to the floor of the trailer inside a false floor cabinet or in the underbelly, next to where the braided coil wire comes out of the main body and loops over to the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4118.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	46423   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4119.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	46424  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-17-2024, 06:35 PM   #9
Tboy

There are 4 outlets, that I’m aware of, in all that do not have power. The one behind the fridge, one under the dinette (on the same slide as the fridge), one for the tv along the back wall of the camper and one under a cabinet in the kitchen area along the long wall opposite the fridge slide. All over the place!

I did check power at the MOLEX connection and there is no power going into that connection, which leads to the fridge.

I’m trying to figure out the power source for the MOLEX connection.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:38 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
There are 4 outlets, that I’m aware of, in all that do not have power. The one behind the fridge, one under the dinette (on the same slide as the fridge), one for the tv along the back wall of the camper and one under a cabinet in the kitchen area along the long wall opposite the fridge slide. All over the place!

I did check power at the MOLEX connection and there is no power going into that connection, which leads to the fridge.

I’m trying to figure out the power source for the MOLEX connection.
If the fridge is in a slide, look in the underbelly. It will be romex to a braided cord to the slide and then back to romex.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:48 AM   #11
Tboy

I see the wire coming out of the bottom of the slide and then going into the underbelly of the camper.

I REALLY don’t want to start removing the underbelly as it’ll never go back on right. My Cougar has the Incommamd system on it, so the wires must connect to that someplace.

Certainly, Keystone would not put a junction box/fuse panel hidden someplace in the underbelly as that would only make service that more difficult for them and their service centers.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:15 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I see the wire coming out of the bottom of the slide and then going into the underbelly of the camper.

I REALLY don’t want to start removing the underbelly as it’ll never go back on right. My Cougar has the Incommamd system on it, so the wires must connect to that someplace.

Certainly, Keystone would not put a junction box/fuse panel hidden someplace in the underbelly as that would only make service that more difficult for them and their service centers.
Just remove as many screws as needed to inspect. Your outlets are NOT connected to the InCommand system.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:30 AM   #13
Tboy

I'll see what I can do with removing as few screws as possible. Just weird why all of a sudden, some outlets stop working!
Old 03-18-2024, 07:32 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd start by plugging the refrigerator into an extension cord and making sure it works on electric with a different power source. It may be that the refrigerator is "tripping the breaker making it not have power at the outlet". If the reefer works on an extension cord, then I'd try to find the back side of the reefer outlet which is probably inside a cabinet that shares the common wall. Follow the ROMEX from the back of the reefer outlet to see where it goes. It should be connected to a GFCI, but that doesn't mean the worker at Keystone actually connected it or whether they "winged a different power source"....

Follow the ROMEX and you'll likely find another GFCI or a loose wire nut or a different issue "along the wire"....
On my camper, the AC outlet is mounted on the outside wall and up about 6". It is almost impossible to check the outlet with the refrigerator in place as there is about 3/4" between the wall and refrigerator. I had to pull my refrigerator out to check and found it easiest to use one of those plug in test gizmos (lights for good and faults) and not a meter. I eventually pulled the refrigerator all the way as I noticed the ammonia had leaked out and had to replace the cooling unit. Off the top, I can't recall which breaker the AC outlet was on but it also linked to my entertainment center across the cabin (surprised). When I did check the outlet with a meter, all good.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:42 AM   #15
Tboy

Wiredgeorge, thanks for our input. I have plenty of space behind my fridge through the access panel on the outside of my camper/slideout. The outlet is accessible and so is the MOLEX plug that feeds the power to the outlet. I just don't have power at the MOLEX plug.

What's weird, is that the outlets 'inside' the camper are out also! I would think the fridge would have a dedicated breaker/fuse and not be linked to other outlets.

I may have "2" breakers/fuses that are out, I just can't locate them. They are NOT on my breaker panel that is inside my camper pantry area.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:35 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

The OEM outlet fixtures in most campers are not the usual "home type screw connector fixtures". Instead, they are "push in knife blade fixtures" that can (and very often do) vibrate loose and disrupt power once there is no longer a connection.

To make things even worse, Keystone uses these fixtures to "daisy chain power" from outlet to outlet. What happens when you "push two ROMEX wires into a single "knife blade connector" inside the fixture is that you risk that "daisy chain" coming loose and then suddenly there's no power at any outlet further down the chain.

In your case, I'd start by identifying EVERY outlet that does not have power, TURN SHORE POWER/INVERTER POWER OFF, then start with the outlet CLOSEST to the power distribution panel (circuit breaker box) and pull the outlet out of the wall. Once you can visualize the ROMEX connections on the "knife blade connectors" use an ohmmeter to identify which circuit breaker has continuity to that ROMEX. Then you'll know which breaker controls that circuit.

NEXT, check that the "knife blade connectors" do, in fact have a secure connection both INTO and OUT OF that outlet. If all is good, move to the next closest outlet without power and do the same. Continue to work "nearest to furthest outlets" until you find the knife blade connector in an outlet that no longer has a secure connection.

For me, and for many MANY other owners, as I have a need to remove an outlet for any reason, I toss those "cheap a** knife blade fixtures" and install a shallow work box with a "house style screw type connector outlet" in the space.

I would suspect that somewhere along that line of outlets without power, you will find a loose or burnt wire that is the source of all your power problems.

ADDED" Your statement, "I just don't have power at the MOLEX plug." tells me that the problem is likely NOT in your slide, but in the electrical wiring INSIDE THE MAIN BODY OF THE TRAILER. Somewhere between the "yet to be identified" circuit breaker in the power distribution panel and that MOLEX connector you have a "daisy chain knife blade connection" that has vibrated or burned loose and that is your "power problem source"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-18-2024, 10:41 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

If you don't have power to the Romex side of the molex connector then the problem is upstream of that point. The first thing I would test is the output side of the breaker. If voltage is present there, then turn off all power. Trace the black wire attached to the breaker back to the romex cover. Then trace the white neutral wire inside that romex bundle back to the neutral buss bar. Physically check that the wire is screwed in tightly.

A couple of years ago there were several units that had issues with loose screws on the buss bars. It's a good idea to check these periodically as the road vibrations can cause issues.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:33 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Wiredgeorge, thanks for our input. I have plenty of space behind my fridge through the access panel on the outside of my camper/slideout. The outlet is accessible and so is the MOLEX plug that feeds the power to the outlet. I just don't have power at the MOLEX plug.

What's weird, is that the outlets 'inside' the camper are out also! I would think the fridge would have a dedicated breaker/fuse and not be linked to other outlets.

I may have "2" breakers/fuses that are out, I just can't locate them. They are NOT on my breaker panel that is inside my camper pantry area.
My refrigerator has AC coming directly from the breaker panel and then is fished through somehow to my entertainment center. The entertainment center is on the forward wall of the cabin and the refrigerator is about 10 ft. and on the passenger side. When my refrigerator died a month or so ago, first thing I thought of was power issue based on the inferior outlets used with blades to make install quicker. They wires tend to vibrate loose. In any case, I found the yellow powder meaning the coolant leaked. Once I verified it wasn't an AC issue and wasn't a DC issue I turned off the power to that circuit and found that the electrical AC outlet in my entertainment center was at the end of that run.

I am not familiar with your floorplan but I could first check the hot wire connected to the breaker and perhaps shave back a bit of insulation and cut it a tad and re-insert and tighten securely. I would also check the neutral wire (white) and ensure it is tight in the buss. If that doesn't fix the problem, suggest you use a meter and probe the circuit breaker to ensure it isn't bad. I would then consider a junction box somewhere in the path. Like I mentioned, the blade type outlets can have loose connections and are best replaced with residential type where you screw the leads onto lugs on the side.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:49 AM   #19
Thoremilly

A/c on fridge

Quote:
I have a 2021 Cougar 366 RDS 5th wheel, and yesterday my Domestic Side by Side fridge would not work on a/c, only gas. After doing some investigating, I found the outlet that the fridge is plugged into does not have power, along with one GFI outlet on the other side of the camper by the stove, a outlet along the back wall of the 5th wheel for the TV and a outlet under the table/booth not working. The fridge and the table/booth on both on the same slide out.

I checked the fuse panel that is located in the closet pantry by the fridge and none of the breakers/fuses were blown or tripped. I also checked the In Command control board and I did not find any wiring or bus fuses dedicated for the fridge.

I don't know where else to look to find out where the power to the fridge originates at this point.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Tracy
I believe there’s a fuse outside it’s tiny but the fridge won’t run on AC without it. It’s where the electric is I can’t remember exactly where cause my unit isn’t here. Good luck
Thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:02 AM   #20
Knightswood

I believe that the plugs go through a gfci receptacle somewhere in the trailer and may need to be reset or replaced
Knightswood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cougar, fridge, power