Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2024, 01:03 PM   #1
Tripler

Question Jensen AWM970 DVD Good, CD No Good ? ? ?

I have an AWM 970 with a weird problem. I'll likely replace it with the JWM60(5)a but want to ask this first. The 970 loads and plays DVDs just fine, audio as well as video. But strangely, a CD, even a factory new one, will display "Loading" with the little spinning icon for about 40 seconds then ERROR out and automatically switch back to the radio. (or AUX if last selected). I did the soft and hard resets, all of the mechanicals seem fine. Local tech was surprised and had not seen that before in a CD/DVD unit. I even took the back cover off and gently cleaned the lens with an alcohol swab ..... no difference. Still plays DVDs fine, just no CD. And it refused to load/cycle a new laser lens cleaning disc. Just curious if any of you there might know of a fix before I buy the new unit. Thanks
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Those units are cheap enough to replace.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:34 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I had 3 JWM40 units go bad and then Asa; owner of Jensen (and InCommand if that tells you anything about their quality and reliability), gave me a JWM60 2 more times until I gave up on them and installed a completely different unit altogether. The camper is in storage but I think the brand was iRV
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:23 PM   #4
Mikendebbie

We have used the DVD player a couple of times with success.
The radio is a waste of solder and wire. FM barely works. AM has nothing but static.
I got behind the unit and rolled out the OEM antenna and FM improved marginally. I bought a cheap car antenna from walmart and mounted it to the wall hidden behind the TV. FM improved marginally. AM is a waste of time. Radios in some of my past units had antennas mounted to the roof and the radio functions were acceptable...not this radio.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:12 PM   #5
Tripler

Thanks folks !
At $250, the Jensen replacement is kinda cheap.
Need a recommendation on a mid to 3/4 level higher quality unit.
I probably don't want top of the line.
Thanks again,
T
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:56 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Thanks folks !
At $250, the Jensen replacement is kinda cheap.
Need a recommendation on a mid to 3/4 level higher quality unit.
I probably don't want top of the line.
Thanks again,
T
You will find that "high end" receivers for a RV application are as rare as hen's teeth - and anything that comes in the RV are as low end as it gets. DIN, double DIN etc. - you need to know what you have, the cutout size etc. IMO the biggest problem with the RV receivers is they combine DVD and CD. Lots of car audio systems that are top notch...they don't do DVD. In addition, if you get a "nice" receiver unit it will put out far more audio (thinking maybe 45 watts RMS per channel) than your OE speakers can handle....which is maybe 5 watts RMS in reality.

I've never replaced a receiver without replacing all components. Putting a $500 receiver in and keeping $3 speakers is pointless.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jensen