Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2024, 04:05 PM   #1
Robert Smi

Question TPO Roof Maintenance Requirements

I have a 2016 Laredo 312RE 5th wheel travel trailer with a TPO roof. I do regular inspections of my roof and have replaced some of my Dicor self levelling caulk and patched a few small holes from falling branches etc. with Permabond tape over the years. Someone suggested sealing the entire TPO area with a silicone or acrylic coating. I have also read where they say TPO does not require re-coating and will outlast the RV. Please let me know what the experts say!
Thanks
Robert Smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:17 AM   #2
Mikendebbie

I have worked in the commercial construction industry for 47 years. TPO roof membranes have been the number 1 go-to roof for the past 15-20 years. We build all sorts of ground-up commercial buildings + renovations from 10,000 sf to 1 million sf. I have never seen a project that includes "recoat the TPO roof". That in itself would connote that there has been some sort of failure in the membrane.

For your maintenance question - I wash my roof couple of times per year (in a good year!) and inspect the roof caulk/seals...touch-up the caulk as needed.

You may find benefit in a fresh white clean TPO roof coating...and I suppose "fresh white" reflects a bit more sun that "dirty white" for an RV - that is your call and your money. I share my experience for what it's worth...food for thought.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:36 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

The Alpha SuperFlex TPO roof has an 18 year manufacturer warranty, so keep that in mind before you decide to coat or alter the roof (which would likely void the warranty). Also note the Alpha roofs use water-based adhesives and sealants, not solvent-based, so Alpha (and Keystone) say to only use Alpha branded materials. Many use Dicor with no serious issues, but a lot of people have reported bubbling and wrinkling of the roof membrane with Dicor because Dicor contains petroleum distillates (as part of the curing process) which is not really compatible with Alpha roofing.

I am just providing info, not suggesting any one product over another. Ultimately, it all depends on what level of risk you are willing to accept.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:48 AM   #4
Robert Smi

Thanks for your expertise.
Robert Smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:00 AM   #5
Don77

What sealant's should be used on a TPO roof?

Don
Old 02-27-2024, 07:22 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

If it is an Alpha SuperFlex TPO, can can’t go wrong with their brand, which is comparable to Dicor and comes in colors and self-leveling and non- leveling formulas. Some swear by Dicor, and I think it is a good product, but I want to maintain my roof warranty, so I have always used the Alpha product.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:53 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don77 View Post
What sealant's should be used on a TPO roof?

Don

Alpha products are recommended for the TPO roof but will not void the warranty. The use of a sealant not meant for a TPO roof that then damages the TPO material WILL void the warranty. Alpha obviously makes sealants for the roof but so does Dicor. I've used Alpha, Dicor and Dicor Ultra with no ill effect. Dicor Ultra is formulated specifically for TPO roofing.

Below are some links; first will be one that discusses identification of the type of roof you have. 2nd will be a Walmart link that will show Dicor Ultra and last will be a link to the Alpha roof warranty. Note clause 5, "exclusions from warranty coverage" then the very last paragraph which states the following;

"Although Alpha's limited warranty is not voided if another manufacturer's sealants, adhesives, tapes or related products are used
on the Alpha Roof Membrane, Alpha retains the right to deny liability for any defects or damages caused by another
manufacturer's products. Alpha recommends that Purchasers and manufacturers use Alpha’s sealants, adhesives, tapes and other
related products as Alpha is confident regarding the quality of its products".

The above paragraph would indicate the use of Dicor is fine....with a caveat. One should use the Dicor formulated for the TPO material (Dicor Ultra) to avoid the possibility of the bubbling etc. of the material is the wrong Dicor is used. Although I've used the products I listed above my repair shelf is stocked with Alpha sealants with a few tubes of Ultra as backup.

https://www.dicorproducts.com/eblast...very_Guide.pdf

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Ultra...SABEgIuP_D_BwE

https://alphallc.us/wp-content/uploa...d-Warranty.pdf
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:52 PM   #8
Don77

Bulldog & Sourdough,
Thank you for the info.
Now I have to find out which one I have.
Thanks again.

Don
Old 02-27-2024, 06:53 PM   #9
Gegrad

I wash and coat my roof with a roof protectant once, sometimes twice a year, and I strictly use the Alpha Systems non sag sealant on my TPO roof. It's the same price as Dicor and is the manufacturer recommended sealant with no side affects. Why WOULDN'T you just use the Alpha Systems sealant?
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:40 PM   #10
dutchmensport

I asked my dealership about my Alpha roof and they said to simply wash it with Spic n Span or even Dawn Dishwashing liquid. And treat it with RV Rubber Roof treatment.

So, I've been doing it that way ever since. The Rubber Roof treatment seals the tiny pours and makes the roof baby-butt smooth. Apply a small bit and spread it with a squeegee and let it dry. Be careful after doing this, it will be slick! Water un right off.

More than that, you don't need to do anything. I've used the Rubber Roof treatment on 4 different Keystone campers now over the last 30 years and never had a problem with the roof.

I also never remove old calking on the roof unless I'm actually changing out a vent or a skylight or a television antenna. I simply clean the existing calk and then apply a new bead of calk over any cracks that form.

My current camper is 5 years old now, and I've added only about 1 inch of calking over a small crack some 4 years ago. No new cracks or flaky calking anywhere.

Removing the old calk can cause more damage than good. You run the risk of damaging the rubber when you remove it. Just wash it and apply new on top. More, is not needed. (again ... if it's not dried out and cracking or flaking).
Old 03-13-2024, 04:40 PM   #11
GlasNav

Thanks to the technical contributions of both Rob and Danny, I checked on the two tubes I had in the unheated shop highbay. It is the right stuff, but now too old and most likely destroyed after sitting thru two winters with temps in the neggies. -20f is a far stretch from store at room temperature! Going to order more and finally swap the OEM bathroom fan for the nicer version purchased two years ago and still in the box.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roof