Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
rode2nowhere

roof bubbles?

I have a 2011 keystone sprinter which has developed a roof bubble like a snake between the front cap and the antennae, I contacted the dealer where purchased and said they want to take a look at it. I have read enough on forums and talked to enough people to know it will only get worse. What are the chances keystone is going to cover this under warrant??
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Englishman

The keystone warranty is only for 12 months. You may have to deal with the roof manufacturer. Good luck.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
rode2nowhere

I will probly need it
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
jjohnsonlta

Roof Bubbles Help

I am in the process of purchasing a 2012 Cougar 276RLSWE fifth wheel. It was a trade in to Keystone dealer. I climbed up ladder to look at roof and noticed about a dozen bubbles in roof material mostly toward front. They varied in size and shape. I asked the salesman and of course he said " we see this quite a bit and it's nothing to be concerned about. The roof has a 12 year warranty on it so your protected on it ". When I got home I googled about "bubbles in roof" and found it was caused by the factory not getting enough glue down in spots. I contacted Keystone by email to ask their opinion on bubbles and make sure the 12 year warranty transferred to me. Keystone wanted the vin number so I gave it to them. I have not heard back as of yet and were suppose to pick this fifth wheel up next Thursday. I also read where you can inject glue into bubbled area with a syringe needle to glue it back down but would that void warranty and is that necessary? I can still cancel the deal and look for another fifth wheel if this looks bad. Any suggestions welcomed.
jjohnsonlta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

As a tech who does PDI's, I can tell you bubbles aren't exclusive to Keystone. Personally I would be more concerned with the integrity of the membrane rather than the cosmetics. If your concerned, take pictures with a date stamp. Submit them to the dealer to keep in your customer file and check again in 6 months. If the bubbles have gotten bigger then you might want to start a claim, but since the trailer is a 2012 model Keystone is unlikely to do anything about it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnsonlta View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a 2012 Cougar 276RLSWE fifth wheel. It was a trade in to Keystone dealer. I climbed up ladder to look at roof and noticed about a dozen bubbles in roof material mostly toward front. They varied in size and shape. I asked the salesman and of course he said " we see this quite a bit and it's nothing to be concerned about. The roof has a 12 year warranty on it so your protected on it ". When I got home I googled about "bubbles in roof" and found it was caused by the factory not getting enough glue down in spots. I contacted Keystone by email to ask their opinion on bubbles and make sure the 12 year warranty transferred to me. Keystone wanted the vin number so I gave it to them. I have not heard back as of yet and were suppose to pick this fifth wheel up next Thursday. I also read where you can inject glue into bubbled area with a syringe needle to glue it back down but would that void warranty and is that necessary? I can still cancel the deal and look for another fifth wheel if this looks bad. Any suggestions welcomed.
The salesman's statement is not true. The roof does have a 10 year (or a 12 year) warranty, depending on the manufacturer. This warranty is from either DICOR or other TPO/EPDM roofing material manufacturers, not a part of the Keystone warranty. If you read the warranty, you'll see that it is available "ONLY TO THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER" and is "NOT TRANSFERRABLE"....

Here's the link to the DICOR warranty: https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/ro...rane/#warranty

Read the SECOND paragraph, you'll see the warranty extends only to the original purchaser.

As for the bubbles. I have seen them on almost every RV I've looked at. They aren't, in themselves, a reason to be concerned. As long as the roofing membrane is intact, the roof is protecting the underpinnings and doing its job.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
jjohnsonlta

roof bubbles

I read the warranty and indeed it's for the original purchaser. The salesman was wrong on it extending to me. I see the bubbles could have been caused by the pervious owner using a product with petroleum distillates in it. That's harmful on the EPDM material. Some UV protectants or cleaning agents with PD's can penetrate through the EPDM and loosen the glue causing bubbles etc. I can see where Keystone will not be responsive to this issue being the RV is a 2012 and I am not the original owner. I am going to have to think hard in the next couple days to determine if I want to take the gamble and finish with buying this RV or look for something different. The roof may be ok for a long time or it may not, who knows.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

It's your decision in the end, but I can say that I have seen bubbles, ripples and foreign debris under brand new straight from the factory roofs. Gases during glue cure could cause the bubbles, so would a few be a deal breaker for me? Not if I was happy with everything else about the unit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Chuckster57. A few roof bubbles are not a reason to be alarmed. Almost all roofs have one or two here and there. Now, not knowing what caused them (previous owner misuse) could cause some concern, but the dealership should be open enough to give you the previous owner's name and you could discuss it with him.

I would be concerned with the salesman's statement. Either he is "unaware" of the warranty (in which case he should be told he's wrong) or he is trying to push a sale by saying whatever is necessary to get your money. In that case, I'd be concerned with what else he may be saying or not saying.

As for the bubbles, if the roof is otherwise intact, it's probably not a deal breaker.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #10
jjohnsonlta

roof bubbles

Thanks for all the great answers. Not being familiar on the subject I learned a lot and this gave me peace of mind on the subject. I know that misinformation gets going sometimes on different subjects but you just have to do a thorough job of research on the subject. I found a page called " Truth About EPDM Rubber Roofs " at Dutchmen.com that was really good also. Thanks