Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm sitting here, reading this, shaking my head, smiling and thinking outloud, "Life is good, gearhead gets it"

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Er, Ah, John? gearhead may get it, Mike does not get it. I get pressure before and after the valve so this tells me that the valve is working? Yes?. So what's next then? It occurs to me that the spinner thingy (technical terms) is plugged solid due to some sort of crap - pun intended. So what do I do to unplug the spinner? Please, please, please don't say that I have to drop the black tank, pretty please?

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #22
Desert185

I found a brass check valve at Ace Hardware. Doesn't look anything like the plastic valve provided by Keystone, but it is a check valve.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L123 View Post
UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Er, Ah, John? gearhead may get it, Mike does not get it. I get pressure before and after the valve so this tells me that the valve is working? Yes?. So what's next then? It occurs to me that the spinner thingy (technical terms) is plugged solid due to some sort of crap - pun intended. So what do I do to unplug the spinner? Please, please, please don't say that I have to drop the black tank, pretty please?

Cheers!

Mike
First of all, has it ever worked? If no, then I'd start by crawling under the trailer, removing a few screws from the coroplast, pull down the edge and peek inside to see if you can find a kink or a problem. Then, go from there. If there is water before and after the anti-siphon valve then there's only a 1/2" PEX line from there to the nozzle in the tank.

If it has worked before and now won't flow water (and the anti-siphon valve is good), then I'd start by filling the holding tank over 2/3 full and add a double dose of some type of "digesting deodorizer" (something like BioPak Enzyme Deodorizer and Waste Digester) or a comparable product. You're looking for something with enzymes and bacteria to DIGEST the waste. Add the digester after the tank is over 1/3 full and while you're still adding water. You can use the toilet foot valve or a hose into the toilet, it doesn't really matter. Then let it sit for at least 3 or 4 days. What you're trying to do is to get the "digester' to break down anything that may have been dried on the nozzle. That may work, and if you're not using your RV for a few weeks, maybe leave it for a week, try the nozzle, if it's not free, add another couple of packs of digester to the mix and wait another week. At the end of the second week, I'd dump and try to flush the tank again. The nozzle "hopefully" will work. If not, then I'd go to the step above and pull down a bit of the coroplast and start to find the problem.

I think what you have done is over the course of several dumpings without flushings is as you dump, waste and tissue flow past the nozzle and hang up on it. The tank sits empty for a while and that "stuff" dries onto the nozzle. Then, if you do the "dump/no flush" again, the same thing happens. Do this over and over and you're likely to have a big gob of dried waste/tissue on the nozzle in the tank and water just can't flow through it.

Whatever it is, NO you don't have to drop the black tank. The nozzle is mounted on the OUTSIDE of the tank (usually sealed with silicone and three stainless screws) and connected to the flush line PEX either with a screw on fitting or a piece of white "water hose" and two compression clamps. You can repair/replace the parts of the system without removing the black tank. Just be careful not to twist or push hard on the side/bottom of the black tank. It is plastic and it will crack if "manhandled".

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

ADDED: I see that you live in Alberta, so I would advise doing something before the winter. If you leave it as it is to dry more over the winter, you're only going to make matters "harder" as it dries even more. But don't leave the tank full if there's a danger of a long, cold freeze. You'll be replacing more than the damaged PEX line, you'll be replacing the tank as well. At this point, you know you have water in the PEX line, so if it freezes, the nozzle and the line from the anti-siphon valve to the nozzle are subject to damage from freezing unless you can get antifreeze to "FLOW" through that part of the system. I'd urge you to do something before winter or expect more damage in the spring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #24
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If it has worked before and now won't flow water (and the anti-siphon valve is good), then I'd start by filling the holding tank over 2/3 full and add a double dose of some type of "digesting deodorizer" (something like BioPak Enzyme Deodorizer and Waste Digester) or a comparable product. You're looking for something with enzymes and bacteria to DIGEST the waste. Add the digester after the tank is over 1/3 full and while you're still adding water. You can use the toilet foot valve or a hose into the toilet, it doesn't really matter. Then let it sit for at least 3 or 4 days. What you're trying to do is to get the "digester' to break down anything that may have been dried on the nozzle. That may work, and if you're not using your RV for a few weeks, maybe leave it for a week, try the nozzle, if it's not free, add another couple of packs of digester to the mix and wait another week. At the end of the second week, I'd dump and try to flush the tank again. The nozzle "hopefully" will work. If not, then I'd go to the step above and pull down a bit of the coroplast and start to find the problem.

ADDED: I see that you live in Alberta, so I would advise doing something before the winter. If you leave it as it is to dry more over the winter, you're only going to make matters "harder" as it dries even more. But don't leave the tank full if there's a danger of a long, cold freeze. You'll be replacing more than the damaged PEX line, you'll be replacing the tank as well. At this point, you know you have water in the PEX line, so if it freezes, the nozzle and the line from the anti-siphon valve to the nozzle are subject to damage from freezing unless you can get antifreeze to "FLOW" through that part of the system. I'd urge you to do something before winter or expect more damage in the spring.
Hello John and thank you for the time, effort and information that you put into your reply to my shout for help! YOU ROCK! For an update I can tell you the following things:

Yes, the back flusher had worked up until just before we came home this April from our SoCal hegira. It has not worked at all since that time. I suspect, as you mention, that the spinner is plugged with poo, paper or some other form of spooge. The back flush valve does appear to be functioning properly as evidenced by pressure existing on both sides of the valve. This afternoon we disconnected the valve and attempted to shoot air pressure into the PEX line feeding the spinner. At first the pressure would just build up in the line and push back on the adapter I was using and the air would escape. After a little while we could finally hear some air being expelled out of the spinner and into the black tank. We couldn't really tell if the rinser was spinning or not, just that air was now working its way down the line and out the spinner. The volume of air coming out gradually increased in volume, based on the sound we could here and we decided to leave well enough alone for fear of messing something up.

We are currently in Red Deer, Alberta and making our way slowly to Osoyoos, BC for a couple of months. We won't be using the black tank for a few weeks, until we touch down in BC around the middle of this month. Once there we will follow your well laid out advice with respect to further trying to clean the tank and the spinner. We currently have "pink" in all of our water lines all the way up to that back flush valve.

Thanks again for your help John!

Mike and Carol
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote