Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
nfd421

water heater switch

i have a suburban sw6de and currently have a switch for propane on the monitor panel i turn the electric on/off with the breaker in the breaker box when i want to just run propane but i would like to upgrade my meter panel to have the 3 switches 1=pump 2= electric w/h 3=propane w/h
but how would i do this? do i just cut the 110vac and run it to the metering panel through a switch and back to the w/h or is their a better way?

o ya my tt is a 2006 sprinter
nfd421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

On my Cougar it would be easier to run two wires up from the circuit breaker to the switch panel to control the circuit. My switches are directly above the power center. Not sure where yours are. Hope this helps. We have some members who are very good electrically so maybe a better description will get more help. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
fla-gypsy

Are you saying there is no switch for the electric side of the WH? That would be very unusual. Is there a switch for it located in the water heater compartment outside? Many are designed that way. I do not have the Suburban so I have no experience with that brand. My panel has the LP and Elec switch side by side on the monitor panel.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
mguay

On my Suburban, the electrical switch is outside below the burner tube. I have read posts on other forums of people cutting into the elec side and wiring another switch in series and then just leave the outside switch on. Then on EBay for under $20 you can get an Attwood panel that has elec and propane on it.
I've been thinking about doin this mod for sometime!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
nfd421

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
On my Suburban, the electrical switch is outside below the burner tube. I have read posts on other forums of people cutting into the elec side and wiring another switch in series and then just leave the outside switch on. Then on EBay for under $20 you can get an Attwood panel that has elec and propane on it.
I've been thinking about doin this mod for sometime!
yes this is what i want to do i have the switch on the side of the water heater but i just leave this switch on all the time and just turn off the breaker in the panel box but i wanted to replace my attwood 2 switch panel with a 3 switch panel and add the electric side of the water heater to the 3rd switch instead of using the breaker of outside switch. and didnt no if there was an easy way to do this or if i needed to add more wires from the water heater to the attwood panel
nfd421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
flc

I only had my last trailer for a little over two years but, in that time, I never pulled the cotter pin that locked the electric off. I just always use gas for my water heater. The electric is there if I need it but so far I haven't.
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfd421 View Post
yes this is what i want to do i have the switch on the side of the water heater but i just leave this switch on all the time and just turn off the breaker in the panel box but i wanted to replace my attwood 2 switch panel with a 3 switch panel and add the electric side of the water heater to the 3rd switch instead of using the breaker of outside switch. and didnt no if there was an easy way to do this or if i needed to add more wires from the water heater to the attwood panel
I think you'll have to run another wire up from the WH....Maybe this is the push I need to have a look myself!

As far as only running on LP...The only time I'm on LP is if I'm on the road or at a truck stop. When at the CG why not use the elec? You payed for it in the site fees!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
mobile42

mguay,

You got that right, if there's juice at the site......why not use it and save the propane.
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
chuck&gail

Had a previous TT like that. I cut the wire to the water heater, and put an illuminated switch inside TT in series. Worked great.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote