Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Fastback

2001 Laredo 27RK

I didn't know if anyone was interested with input on a 5th wheel this old. We bought a handy man special. We thought that all we would need to do is clean, check lighting, gas systems and clean and wax the exterior. Well I mentioned in another post that we found that we had a leak in the slide out.

I did try to do a temp repair with some of that permanent roll seal, but it did not work. So we decide to replace the rubber roof. Here are some of the things I noticed. The roof had been worked on in the past, but the workmanship was terrible. For example on the original end where no work had been done since being built there were 10 staples holding the fiberglass to the roof edge. On the side that some one tried to repair there was 75 staples. Now these were factory style staples, hope this was not a dealer. This area of repair was not where the roof was leaking.

We removed all of the rubber an found that the leak originated in the very center of the outside edge of the slide out. Our slide out is about 12 feet long so it requires a seam in the plywood. Typically, we all would expect to see it at the center, and it was, the only problem is this is where the wiring went down for the wall sconce. Now they used the metal protection plates but that also causes a problem with attaching the plywood. No staples or screws could be places at this location. Keystone was relying on the aluminum trim to hold it down. There was a 15 inch space between screws at this location. This ultimately cause a leak. I decided to relocate seam to the next 2x 2 tapered rafter. In addition, I pre marked on the outside wall where the wires were so I could place as many screws as needed and not have a large gap.

Now since I needed to replace the ceiling as well as the roof we removed all of the framework holding up the roof an ceiling. While it was out I tightened everything with pocket screws. In order to remove the frame we needed to remove all of the inside finish work and aluminum frame that is used to make the seal when open. Now we get into workman ship by the manufacturer. I was not impressed They have mitered corners are the top ends to the side. How about a 1/2 inch gap at each end. The top aluminum rail was cut 1 inch too short and then filled with a bunch of caulk. I had some 1/8 inch aluminum which I cut two L's and pop riveted in place and then sealed it all with caulk.

The last thing I noted was the adjustment for the slide out. It was as far as it could go to the front of the camper and it did not appear to have been adjusted. I could be wrong but I could see no marks that would have been left by lock washers at any other point. This leads me to believe that some thing was never installed properly.

Now, I am not writing this to bang Keystone. I know all manufacturers have their problems, and I do hope the quality is better on the newer models. I just wanted to let you folk know what I ran into on the rebuild.

Oh, one more all of the screw type fasteners I use when they do not show are treated deck screws. I believe that many problems are from screws that had failed either from rust or were broken when installed.

Irregardless, I am looking forward to taking campert out. Hopefully by June.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote