Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
reubenray

GVWR in Keystone Specs?

None of the specifications on the Keystone website show the GVWR's of the fifth wheel or travel trailers. How can I get this info?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Handysam

When looking on the site and you add the shipping weight with the cargo carrying capacity, that will give you the GVWR. Now bear in mind when coming from the factory, they don't account for battery, and full propane tanks, you will have to add that in to get the rough dry weight of the unit. Happy Camping,Sam
Old 03-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
reubenray

This is one of the models that I have been looking at. So the GVWR would be 8105 (6241+1865) plus weight of the battery and full propane tanks. So I am assuming this has the weight of the furniture, etc. in it. The carrying capacity of this model is higher than the next 3 bigger sizes. I cannot see any way the two of us (wife - myself) could ever put this much stuff in this. Am I wrong in thinking this way. Also does the weight of any water in the three tanks factor into any of this or do you travel totally dry?

http://keystone-springdale.com/index...LSSR&year=2011
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
This is one of the models that I have been looking at. So the GVWR would be 8105 (6241+1865) plus weight of the battery and full propane tanks. So I am assuming this has the weight of the furniture, etc. in it. The carrying capacity of this model is higher than the next 3 bigger sizes. I cannot see any way the two of us (wife - myself) could ever put this much stuff in this. Am I wrong in thinking this way. Also does the weight of any water in the three tanks factor into any of this or do you travel totally dry?

Anything you will add to your trailer including factory options will lessen carrying capacity of 1865. ( propane, batteries, water, bicycles, dishes, linens, food and so on) it adds up quickly. I for one carry enough water for pit stops along the way. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post

Hi, You are almost correct in your weight estimate. The only error is how you figured the carrying capacity. This is the max allowable weight including everything.

This is the way I have been instructed on both of my 5er's that I have owned. Which means you need to figure the weight of propane in your tanks and the battery weights, if you have more then one. Along with your food, water, Grey and black tanks full, clothes and camping gear. This will be the maximum allowable carrying capacity of 1865 LBS in your case.

My DW and I pull a 318 SAB Cougar, I have scaled my camper with the truck on a certified weight scale. The camper when loaded for a two week trip all compartments full except waste tanks, they are empty. Weights in at 11,392 LBS this is almost the full GVW of the camper which is 11,660 LBS (9132 (Shipping weight) +2528 (carrying capacity)=11,660LBS)

Believe me you will load this much gear and food in your camper. It is very ease to over load them if you are not careful. I would also recommend that you hitch up your camper and truck loaded for camping. I would then weight this at a "Cat" certified scale to know exactly what you are towing.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
ktmracer

Once you get your trailer, there will be a yellow sticker on the entry door. It will list the actual empty weight of your trailer as it was weighed at the end of the assembly line. It will also list allowable cargo carrying capacity (CCC). The allowable cargo carrying capacity assumes the propane tanks are full, but does not include any other weights (battery(s) etc.) It will also give the loaded GVW allowed. You will notice that the loaded GVW less carrying capacity give a higher empty weight than the sticker. That is because as mentioned above, the carrying capacity assumes the propane tanks are full. There will also be a sticker showing allowable carrying capacity with full fresh water tanks, and the allowable carrying capacity with full fresh, grey and black water tanks. That sticker is usually located next to the sticker showing axle capacity and tire capacity.

The above info applies to trailers built in the last few year since new federal reg's. took effect on trailer spec's (or lack thereof). All bets are off on older trailers!

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote