Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Phil33

Maintaining 6 volt batteries

Does anybody know what is the best way to maintain 4 6volt batteries during the winter months? I keep the RV plugged in to shore power but should I leave the batteries on or should I disconnect them? My converter/charger is a 3 stage charger but I read somewhere that the float charge is not good for 6 volt batteries.
Phil33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
MIKEPATC

I take mine off of the Trailer and keep them on 6V Battery Maintainers in the shop. Helps to desulfanate them and I keep an eye on the water levels.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
jsmith948

We just leave our batteries (2 - 6V) in the trailer and leave it plugged in to shore power. Check the water once a month. Seldom need to add.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I leave our 2 6volts in the RV over the winter months and the unit is not plugged into shore power during this entire period. I do plug it in for a couple of days on a regular basis and for longer periods when the temperatures drop below freezing for extended periods.

As part of my maintenance, I check the battery water levels regularly and top up with distilled water when necessary.

As long as the batteries are not left to discharge or in a state of low voltage and have their plates covered, you should be okay to leave them in. I've have used 6v Trojans for many years and have never encountered problems with leaving them in the unit or by using a 3-stage converter/charger over the winter months which incorporates a float charge as part of the charging cycle.

One other reason for not bringing them is that both are kept in a battery box which does not have any room for me to get a good grip on a single battery to remove it from the box and the front storage compartment. They are heavy brutes which need to be lifted over the "lip" of the compartment.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Yosemitebob

I took my batteries out just once and decided not to do that again. They are HEAVY, too heavy. I have a bad shoulder and I bent the soft aluminum around the door when I dropped the battery on it I don't think I would take them out now even if I could. I go to storage to look at the trailer once every week when I'm not using it anyway. If I could keep it at home I would leave it plugged in as I did the MH before the trailer.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote