Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
LittleJoe

325 SRX tail light wiring

Had an issue with wiring this past weekend. Last time trailer was used all external lighting was working as it should. Hooked up and ready to roll find that no tail light on pass side and top rear clearance lights from driver to pass side get dimmer as they go until last one does not light.

With darkness approaching decide we can make it to campground before dark and will run with no lights on trailer. Arrive at campsite.........

Next morning start looking into things. Lower the rear part of under trailer plastic cardboard sheet for a look see...( Am totally disgusted by the way Keystone has run wiring. It is not tiestrapped anywhere and all wiring is hap hazardly run from all over toward the front. What a rats nest. They should be ashamed to produce this kind of poor workmanship. Find that wiring to pass side TL comes from right side.

Remove right lense and get intermittent light by wiggling wires. Find that TL power wire is sometimes shorting to ground on spring for bulb in socket. Repair wire temporarily with liquid tape (socket needs to be replaced)

Close eyes and try not to look while I reinstall plastic cardboard covering up the absolute mess of wiring.........

All lights now work again properly. Return home after weekend (1hr drive). All lights still working as I put 4ways on to get backed into my yard (5 mins or so). Unhook, but one last time, check lights. NOW no driver side signal light.
After lots of testing , finally find cause to be a blown fuse in truck PCM for trailer plug left turn signal (left truck signal working fine)

Replace fuse and all is fine.........Why did fuse blow???? I hope I am not entering a wiring nightmare with this trailer in future.

I will be seeing dealer soon to get a socket replacement for pass side and getting note made in my file of wiring issues. I hope it was a fluke on the fuse and this is the end of it.

I expect to have to work on old things but really am irritated to have to do this on NEW things.

I hope I dont run into more issues on trip south to Florida this winter, and trial periods are running out quickly up here for this season.

Any one else having running light wiring issues with there 325?
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I didn't run into "exactly the same problem" as you, but somewhat close. I replaced the incandescent lights on my trailer with LED tail/stop/turn lights this summer. That installation went well without any problem. but when I got under the trailer to install trailer wiring so I could tow my boat behind the fifth wheel. Like you, I found a (*&%$^) mess!!!!! Standard wiring colors for 4 pin connectors was anything but used. I had red, blue, black and white in place of green, yellow, black and white. Hmmmmm Fortunately, the Springdale doesn't have a coroplast bottom, so it was pretty straightforward to reroute, tiewrap and clean up the (*&%$^) mess!!!!!

As for your wiring problem, it sounds like you have an extra ground in one of the lights that shorts out to 12V and finally blew a fuse when you got it well connected. I'd try a set of new tail light assemblies, if that doesn't work, I'd be on the dealer to rewire the lights before the warranty expires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I didn't run into "exactly the same problem" as you, but somewhat close. I replaced the incandescent lights on my trailer with LED tail/stop/turn lights this summer. That installation went well without any problem. but when I got under the trailer to install trailer wiring so I could tow my boat behind the fifth wheel. Like you, I found a (*&%$^) mess!!!!! Standard wiring colors for 4 pin connectors was anything but used. I had red, blue, black and white in place of green, yellow, black and white. Hmmmmm Fortunately, the Springdale doesn't have a coroplast bottom, so it was pretty straightforward to reroute, tiewrap and clean up the (*&%$^) mess!!!!!
Oh joy! I just purchased new LED fixtures for S/T/T plus adding back-up lights. If all goes well, I may even separate Stop and Turn using Amber fixtures for the Turn signals. Now I expect I will have lots of fun with the multimeter, label maker, and that box of 250 8" cable ties I just bought.

Guess I'll have to take pics, too.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
kingji

Trailer lights option

I was going to tie in a plug into the existing system and also found not so normal color coded wires. I said to heck with that and just ran a 12-4 wire all the way from the fifth wheel hitch to the back of the camper wired in the appropriate male/female ends and just plugged into the 4-pin on the back of the TV and then hooked up my utility trailer to the back end. Probably quicker plus you don't have to disturb the factory wiring.
JK
kingji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Steve, I think the yellow wire for backup lights is cut off and wrapped in the fifth wheel pigtail, so if you think you want backup lights, the wiring is most likely alreay in place at the front of the trailer, now, just how do you get it to the back? That's the next step.... You might want to get another bundle of those wire ties LOL Good luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Steve, I think the yellow wire for backup lights is cut off and wrapped in the fifth wheel pigtail, so if you think you want backup lights, the wiring is most likely alreay in place at the front of the trailer, now, just how do you get it to the back? That's the next step.... You might want to get another bundle of those wire ties LOL Good luck !!!
The only hassle I can forsee is getting the reverse line from the pin box over and into the front compartment where all the wiring is located. There's a run of loom with the other wires from the pin box to the front compartment. If I can run a snake through it, I'll be good to go. Running it from the front compartment to the back of the trailer is no problem. I'll have to take a closer look at snaking up behind the skin on the back end, but it should not be much of an issue.

It'll work, but since we store the trailer all winter, I probably won't get the job done until sometime in the spring.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Maxzd

Have a 325srx, not had this issue you have experienced. Sorry to hear about the issues, pains me when something so straightforward isn't right. My first frustration with wiring was the main ground wire at the hitch, was in such a dumb spot.

I wouldn't give the attention to details high grade, but I wouldn't give these units a failing grade either.. Mass production and price for me I can live with cleaning these things up on my own. I have done alot of wiring from inverter, batteries, transfer switch,solar panels and charger. No ugly discoveries. =) The big frustrations were furnace related. Pipe to the bedroom under the basement was ugly, replaced it with bigger flexible aluminum pipe. The vent heading toward the garage is a joke. Instead of finishing it with a cap, they just crushed it or better put looks like the stomped on it.. 3 units I checked all the same. Bent a piece to fit just past kitchen vent, screwed it in and taped it up. Why heat to nowhere and have heat loss..

Last mod just finished on the weekend new fixed roof sat dish. Completely rewired all the connections behind the main TV.. That was not fun must have 15 hours into this install. The basement coax outlet is split and wired up to the bedroom, no idea why. The way it was wired up, never would even work. It will be my next mod post once I get all the pictures loaded up.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
LittleJoe

Update on lighting issue: Picked up a complete tail light assembly from dealer(In Cornwall Ont price was 20.00 if you were paying for it)

I replaced the socket and so far issue seems be be gone.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote