Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

There's no way Keystone is going to trade the trailer for a new one. The dealer may offer you a "trade-in" price toward a new or replacement unit, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new trailer exchange.

Just so you know, this is on page 73 of the owner's manual.

Windows The seals/sealants used to seal the windows to the sidewall of the unit are subject to deterioration over time. Every six months, inspect the area between the window frame and the side wall for sealant gaps/voids, cracks, shrinkage, etc. and reseal as necessary. In addition, after a rain, inspect the interior of the unit around windows for any evidence of water penetration. If any interior leaks are noticed, contact an authorized dealer immediately. If caught early, it may save you much time, frustration and money. (Note, it doesn't say it may save Keystone much time, frustration and money.)

It indicates the "owner maintenance responsibility" and is likely to be the "out" Keystone uses to refuse a new trailer and "could be" the out for refusing to repair the interior damage done to your trailer. They may (hopefully not) claim that you failed to inspect after each rain and failed to report the damage to the dealer in a "timely manner". Hopefully it won't get to the "he said/she said" stage and the dealer/Keystone will reseal/reposition your windows as well as replace the interior luan that is stained/water damaged.

If I were you, I'd be happy to get that much from them. I think they owe you the repair and resealing, but a new trailer? I don't think you'll get to first base with that one, much less to home plate....

As for your comment about the "wrong radius", the radius blocks used to "round out the square framing" are hard plastic blocks that are stapled to the wooden frame before the window opening is cut with the template. If they were the wrong size or shape, the template would still cut the proper radius in the slide siding/inner wall. It's not likely that the hard plastic radius block is the wrong shape since they are premanufactured components and the shape doesn't change. Cutting the opening with a template and ZIP saw would immediately identify a damaged radius block if it were the wrong shape. It's unlikely that would happen.

Again, I'd certainly expect the dealership to reinstall the windows properly and hopefully replace the damaged luan, but that's about the extent of what I believe you can expect. Certainly, not a replacement trailer.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

I would think that with a one year warranty on a new trailer the clause about the owner having to check for gaps/leaks etc., putting the responsibility on him, would not hold water. I fully expect my new trailer to function 100% for a year and if not, any and all defects would be repaired by the dealer. If not, what would a warranty be for?

I've read somewhere in this forum about Keystone having an owner send their trailer back to the factory for warranty work and basically getting it rebuilt. If the damage is significant enough that might be something they would do...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If the interior flanges will not cover the rough opening when the window is centered then there is a problem. Mabye incorrect seals around the window? Wrong window? I know our Cougar has 7 different sizes of windows.

The extent of the interior damage has not been said. If the unit has an aluminum frame I would assume it would amount to the interior wall which shouldn't be a big deal to replace.

If the dealer won't go into what they found when they removed the window as the OP said, then I think there needs to be an escalation within the dealership as I've said before. The pic shows a problem that should not be left to the owner to try to rectify on a new trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #23
vampress_me

Based on the one picture posted and the info provided I'm wondering if you have asked the dealer about replacing the window or window seal only (if possible) instead of trying for a new trailer or wall? From looking at the picture, it seems like the problem *may* be the gasket/seal around the window being faulty instead of the rough-opening cut into the wall, but that is based off one picture, not being able to inspect the whole window. I just know that rubber/plastic gaskets can accidentally get deformed prior to installation, and they don't necessarily go back to the shape they are supposed to have after installation.

Also, our dealer in Monticello has always provided me with the paperwork for all of our warranty issues, which includes feedback from Keystone. It always includes whether Keystone approves or denies the item and if approved, what the fix is, or if not, why it was denied. If your dealer isn't willing to show you this paperwork, have they even contacted Keystone about the window issue? I guess after my experiences, I just can't see Keystone denying any sort of fix for an issue like this.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would think that with a one year warranty on a new trailer the clause about the owner having to check for gaps/leaks etc., putting the responsibility on him, would not hold water. I fully expect my new trailer to function 100% for a year and if not, any and all defects would be repaired by the dealer. If not, what would a warranty be for? ....
Here's a quote from the warranty exclusions in the Owner's Manual that directly refutes your expectations:

"Routine maintenance including, without limitation, brake squeak/lock-up/adjustment, caulking, changing fuses or light bulbs, combustion systems, latches, locks, maintaining the air conditioning and heating systems, re-caulking and waxing of the body of the recreational vehicle, tightening screws, and winterization;
• Adjustments to all doors, drawers, locks, latches, slide outs, awnings and window treatments beyond 90 days after retail sale;"

Read through some of the roof sealing issues that are documented in the forum. Keystone states in the warranty that the roof must be inspected frequently. They have refused several roof damage repairs because the owner didn't reseal the roof. This was prior to the expiration of the one year warranty.

In the warranty, it clearly states that slide alignment is covered for 90 days, not one year. They have refused slide work on a number of units within the one year warranty, but past the 90 days that the alignment is covered.

The above is only a part of the warranty exclusions. You might want to read the entire warranty to get a clearer image of what really is and more important, what is NOT included. The OP's windows should be covered for resealing and reinstallation, and I'd hope Keystone will cover interior water damage, but the warranty does not obligate them to do anything based on his failure to check for damage and report it to the dealer immediately. They have an "out" if they choose. Don't believe you have a bumper to bumper one year warranty. You've got far less than that. Read the warranty to see what is excluded and you will more clearly understand that it's not "all inclusive".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I've read the warranty and I understand the exclusions; however, that does not change my expectations one bit. I know what I was told by the salesperson and sales manager as far as warranty; full one year on everything and extended on the roof; longer on some of the appliances but that is through the manufacturer (I know that means nothing) but it doesn't mean I'm not going to be standing in front of the service manager's/GM's office doors (as I will be today) to explain my expectations and see what happens. Do I win? Who knows but I'm not going to make it a foregone conclusion that this or that isn't covered because they write a bunch of loopholes into their documentation. Even if they have tried to give themselves an out I think it is still reasonable to expect a unit to be covered for one year....but that's just me

I think the explanation of what they have written is very beneficial for anyone that hasn't read it. It will definitely help someone understand the arguments they may encounter from the dealer/Keystone and some of the things they need to keep in mind as they take care of their RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #26
2011 keystone

Wrong size windows installed 2014 Springdale 311REGL

Soo inquiring minds want to no. What did they say?
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #27
mnman

I haven't been keeping up with posts to my leak problem. The repair dealer sent pics showing plastic in the corners to center the window. I have the window maker looking at the install pics to confirm it is done right. Keystone told me all the repair work being done is correct. Still no one has told me why this happened. This is a manufacturing issue and poor construction is the reason you only get a 1 year warranty.
Keystone has offered me nothing more than to cover the repairs. Am I owed more, maybe not. This was Keystones fault, not mine, and being offered something more might have kept me as a customer. The story I tell others about Keystone would have a better ending also. Give me an upgrade, a real mattress, something to show some concern for what I have dealt with regarding this. I only have a $26,000.00 trailer is basically what I was told, I should just be happy everything is covered under warranty.

Have to run, the Jayco dealer is calling me back regarding my trade in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	7434  
mnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #28
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnman View Post
Keystone has offered me nothing more than to cover the repairs. Am I owed more, maybe not. .
By covering the repairs do you mean that Keystone is covering the labor cost only or labor plus materials/parts?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #29
Ram189

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnman View Post
I haven't been keeping up with posts to my leak problem. The repair dealer sent pics showing plastic in the corners to center the window. I have the window maker looking at the install pics to confirm it is done right. Keystone told me all the repair work being done is correct. Still no one has told me why this happened. This is a manufacturing issue and poor construction is the reason you only get a 1 year warranty.
Keystone has offered me nothing more than to cover the repairs. Am I owed more, maybe not. This was Keystones fault, not mine, and being offered something more might have kept me as a customer. The story I tell others about Keystone would have a better ending also. Give me an upgrade, a real mattress, something to show some concern for what I have dealt with regarding this. I only have a $26,000.00 trailer is basically what I was told, I should just be happy everything is covered under warranty.

Have to run, the Jayco dealer is calling me back regarding my trade in.
You had a leak and they are fixing it. What more do they owe you??

This is the problem now with everyone expecting someone to owe them something because something went wrong. That is what the warranty is for a problem.

If everytime something broke they had to do something extra there would be no more Keystone or any other manufacture.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram189 View Post
You had a leak and they are fixing it. What more do they owe you??

This is the problem now with everyone expecting someone to owe them something because something went wrong. That is what the warranty is for a problem.

If everytime something broke they had to do something extra there would be no more Keystone or any other manufacture.
As ironic as it may seem, right now, GM is offering a $25 gift card to anyone who brings in their GM product withthea defective ignition switch recall. Seems that "owners" just aren't interested in their own safety ????

Using the concept of warranty work expected in this thread, I should expect Ford to upgrade me to a diesel if I have a flat tire on my F250 gas truck? I'm liking that concept, but like you, Ram189, I think Ford, GM and Keystone would soon be out of business if they upgraded every warranty item with a "free mattress or something to "show concern". I thought repairing the broken parts without charge is "showing concern"..... I'm sure glad I'm not the service manager at that dealership, I'd probably say some things that would be better left unsaid......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #31
Ram189

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As ironic as it may seem, right now, GM is offering a $25 gift card to anyone who brings in their GM product withthea defective ignition switch recall. Seems that "owners" just aren't interested in their own safety ????

Using the concept of warranty work expected in this thread, I should expect Ford to upgrade me to a diesel if I have a flat tire on my F250 gas truck? I'm liking that concept, but like you, Ram189, I think Ford, GM and Keystone would soon be out of business if they upgraded every warranty item with a "free mattress or something to "show concern". I thought repairing the broken parts without charge is "showing concern"..... I'm sure glad I'm not the service manager at that dealership, I'd probably say some things that would be better left unsaid......
The are offering customer with the ignition switch recall on the Cobalt/HHR style car only. This is due to the low owner response rates they are getting from customers that refuse to bring cars in. GM is catching heat from Congress to get the recall completion rate up over 70%.
That is why they are offering the $25 gift card and since that offering we still don't get phone calls to bring the vehicles in.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaking windows, wrong windows installed