Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
j wise

Slide out issues

On my Springdale slide out when I retract it the top of the slide hits but the bottom is still out a couple of inches. I know everybody says to take in to dealer to adjust but is there any way to do yourself and or is there something more wrong with it to be doing that? Any thoughts.
j wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You don't indicate what year your Springdale is, so it's difficult to say exactly what type of slide you might have and what may be wrong with it.

If it is a new, in warranty, Springdale, the slide adjustment is only covered during the first 90 days, so if that applies to you, I'd urge you to get it in soon !!!

Not knowing what your mechanical aptitude may be, what tools and equipment you may have available and your physical abilities (to crawl under and lift/adjust) it's really impossible to even begin to suggest you tackle something like slide adjustment on an RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

If you have a slide out by Lippert, you can go to their website and download the Operation and Service Manual which gives instructions on how to make slide out adjustments. This is not a quick and easy DIY project so I'd look carefully at what's involved before tackling this yourself.

Their website is www.lci1.com
Old 11-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by j wise View Post
On my Springdale slide out when I retract it the top of the slide hits but the bottom is still out a couple of inches. I know everybody says to take in to dealer to adjust but is there any way to do yourself and or is there something more wrong with it to be doing that? Any thoughts.
For clarification, .... if you continue to retract the slide after the top makes contact with the RV body, does the bottom of the slide eventually pull in? Or... is this as far as it goes?

The reason I ask is because this is exactly the way my Cougar slide works. I asked the Service guy (where I bought the RV) about this and he said that this is normal operation. Top contacts first then the bottom.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
BeaverRZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
For clarification, .... if you continue to retract the slide after the top makes contact with the RV body, does the bottom of the slide eventually pull in? Or... is this as far as it goes?

The reason I ask is because this is exactly the way my Cougar slide works. I asked the Service guy (where I bought the RV) about this and he said that this is normal operation. Top contacts first then the bottom.
Exactly. Slide it in until the motor bogs down. Then go check again
Old 11-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Alpine

I concure with the above posts... the tops of my slides touch first with the bottoms pulling in last.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
bobbecky

Attended the Montana Owners Club rally in Goshen in September, and we were told the slides should contact the top first, with at least an inch to go at the bottom of the slide. The reason is to keep water from intruding while the slide is in, as when towing, the added pressure at the top helps keep the slide from leaning out.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with the above posts. I had the same problem with my Cougar High Country and I was told the same...it does come in at an angle, top hits first and the bottom then comes in until the motor stops. I have had it seem like it wanted to bind and I just stop it, reverse it for a couple of inches, then pull it on in. Tried to get the dealership to look into that but they could not replicate the problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote