Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Bunkhouse

RV Industry Service concerns

Hello Everyone,

We've had a very poor experience with our new 5th wheel. We bought it new, and have had a hole host of issues. The control panel went out. The remote never worked. The hot water heater did not function properly. The cap faded after 1/2 a season. The unit was delivered to us with the frame of the couch busted in half. The dealer didn't even clean the roof. This is all being addressed under the warranty, however it took 7 weeks to somewhat fix the panel and that was only because I called everyday. The dealer tried to tell me it would take up to three months. I was also told I should ge3t used to this and that "this is just how the RV industry is".

Earlier in life I worked in the automotive industry, and this would never have been tolerated. I now work in the business world and I would never tell one of my customers to just deal with it.

Any thoughts out there ? Is my frustration ill placed ?
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
gearhead

I share your frustration. I am not a promoter of government interference by any means, but I think legislation is about the only solution.
When the RV dealer service rep's first question is: "did you buy it here?", there are some serious issues in my opinion.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Your going to find that just like any other business, there are good ones and bad ones. Some RV dealers will sell you the unit you picked out, put a battery in it (maybe), shake your hand and send you on your way.

Others will take the time to check everything, fix any discrepancies that they can at the time, and explain how your unit works when you pick it up. I am sorry your dealing with issues that should have been dealt with BEFORE you took possession, but as long as they get addressed to your satisfaction, don't let it sour your taste for RV'ing.

I can say from firsthand experience, during the peak season, customers that purchased from us do get priority, doesn't mean we wont work on someone else's unit, but it the same thing if you take your auto to a dealership for work. Seen that first hand when I took my truck to the local Ford dealer for a safety recall.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
gearhead

So Chuckster what is behind the poor service?

It's not worth the investment in buildings, tools, and people?
They're making plenty of money in sales and don't have to do good service?
The manufacturer does not reimburse the dealer adequately for warranty work, so why bother?
They can't find decent repair techs for what they are willing to pay?
The service department is poorly managed and everyone there is overwhelmed?

It's gotta be something.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I wish I had the answer my friend...I wouldn't be just a lowly tech

I think it's a combination of factors, and the more poor factors the worse the service and the dealership in general. We could debate this til we both have sore fingers from typing, but I will say that it seems like overall (not just the RV industry) customer care/concern has taken a back seat.

Okay back on my soapbox for a second:

I have operated my own auto repair business "on the side" for over 40 years, and have some customers that I have had for the entire time. When I got hired at my present dealership, I carried that philosophy with me. Did it cause some friction with my boss? Only for a minute as I explained what an occasional "gimme" did for the bottom line. We are doing 10X the business as when I started, and we continue to grow. My boss has over 30 yrs in the RV service business, been through the boon and bust. He and I have seen techs come and go, and now we have 3 guys that "give a hoot" about their work. Hard to find that kind of worker in any line of work IMO. Maybe it's because I am over 55 and we had a different work ethic it seems. Anyway, lets not get each other all heated up this late in the evening, I do have to go to work in the morning... if you'd like to carry this conversation on, PM me and I'll be glad to give you my Phone number...I drive an hour each way to/from work.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
Bunkhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Your going to find that just like any other business, there are good ones and bad ones. Some RV dealers will sell you the unit you picked out, put a battery in it (maybe), shake your hand and send you on your way.

Others will take the time to check everything, fix any discrepancies that they can at the time, and explain how your unit works when you pick it up. I am sorry your dealing with issues that should have been dealt with BEFORE you took possession, but as long as they get addressed to your satisfaction, don't let it sour your taste for RV'ing.

I can say from firsthand experience, during the peak season, customers that purchased from us do get priority, doesn't mean we wont work on someone else's unit, but it the same thing if you take your auto to a dealership for work. Seen that first hand when I took my truck to the local Ford dealer for a safety recall.
Thank you for your service in law enforcement !

It won't sour my taste for RV'ing, it's just disappointing that there are some company's that think this is acceptable.
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkhouse View Post
Thank you for your service in law enforcement !

It won't sour my taste for RV'ing, it's just disappointing that there are some company's that think this is acceptable.
Your welcome. And I agree, when you find a company that finds crap acceptable, do, what you can to spread the word... Yelp, review sites and such. BUT all I ask is when you find the gem, share it too. Enjoy your trailer

Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
gearhead

It's the people usually. Sounds like you've got it Chuckster.
Actually me and the wife are sitting here at 11pm trying to find a place to deliver pizza to Crossroads RV in Lexington N.C. tomorrow. They thought they were repairing our Dometic A/C under warranty, but it was a Keystone issue, and they weren't Keystone.
No charge to us to fix a loose wire.
I still remember it from April.
Poppa Johns, 2 miles away from them. 1058 miles from us. Guess I should call first to be sure they will be there!
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #9
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Quote:

I have absolutely NOT seen that to be the case with Toyota dealers and I have taken our two Tundra's to dealers in Texas and California. Even though it was a free service- I ALWAYS receive nothing but the best service. Just my 2 cents...
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #10
Grolli

Quote:

Amen to this. Same at our dealership.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
mark1228

There are lots of reasons for the level of service you receive in the RV business.

1.) Seasonality- We simply don't have enough techs in season to handle the volume and we can't keep them busy in the off season so they don't stay in the industry

2.) Most RV manufacturers don't carry a large parts inventory to supply dealers. Plain and simple. Keystone is one of the best here. Many times when a dealer orders parts the manufacturer of the trailer then has to order it from their supplier. Often times it has to manufactured. This really takes lead times out

3.) Warranty- It simply is a money loser for the dealer. I currently own a dealership and I'm sorry but we don't do any warranty work on units we don't sell. It's not that we are mad at the customer for not purchasing from us, it's that we don't make any money on warranty work. We are running a for profit business and have backlogs for our shop so it really does not make sense to put a tech on a warranty job when that same time could be used billing out regular time to a paying customer. I know many of you won't like this answer, but it's the truth.

4.) The manufacturers don't care- They really don't or they wouldn't sign up dealers that have not shop or technicians, yet all of them do it.
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:14 AM   #12
Rex1vt

Just keep the cream and throw away the milk. No way someone needing service will ever buy again, and if they did they certainly would not consider someone that gave them good service in the past.You may not like the answer but it is the truth.Goodwill is way over rated.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

As to wrong parts: Keystone does a much better job than some. I have recieved the wrong decals 3 times now from (won't say) even with pictures submitted.

As the public demands more features and less weight, what appears to be low quality is in fact trying to meet new standards. Wall panels are thinner, exterior walls are vacum bonded and voids filled with styrofoam. When I work on new units I find myself regulating the air so my nail gun barely fires and doesn't blow through the panel I'm trying to secure.

I DONT need to work, but I enjoy it...

Old 12-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
theeyres

Good dealerships get the job done. They put the pressure on Keystone, or whoever, to get what they need to provide great customer service. The big problem is that Keystone and all other manufacturer's seem unwilling to cut loose the bad dealer. I've seen it personally where the man. had to come pick up a trailer of mine, take it back to the plant and fix a faulty fix of the dealer. Did they fire the dealer? No. They still let the lousy dealer sell, sell, sell. I honestly don't know how the problem will be fixed.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
carwheel_09

I'm a new Montana owner, bought a 2014 3610RL in November. Towed it home from Texas and when I got her home I found "frame flex" in the pin box area. Generator compartment had separated from the front wall. Going to take it next week, been making a punch list of what needs repair. Most of it is minor but the frame sure isn't. If I could figure out how to post a pic of let y'all have a look.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwheel_09 View Post
If I could figure out how to post a pic of let y'all have a look.
Two different ways:
1) If the file is on your computer, look above the box where you type your reply and you'll see a paperclip. Click on it and follow the prompts.

2) Upload to an online photo hosting site, many are free. Then simply follow their instructions for copying the direct link. Once that is copied, look above the box for the square with the mountain in it, click on it and follow the prompts.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

I probably have the right to work/hire at will thing wrong. I was a state employee for 25+ yrs and now I'm working in the private sector so labor law was of no concern.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #18
carwheel_09

I'm going to throw my two cents in. I also purchased from that infamous mega dealer. I will never again buy from any dealer except a family owned business. With the big boys I got lost it their shuffle from sales to service.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #19
ggrant119

I have been reading this topic and wanted to jump in on numerous occasions.. This is my $.02.....lol..

mark1228 - I appreciate you telling us what the dealership goes thru when dealing with warranty. I was in the John Deere Equipment business for many years. As an Operations Manager for the dealership there was a constant give and take with the manufacturer when it came to warranty work... That all came to a nasty crashing hault the day John Deere Corp. signed the contract with Home Depot to sell equipment in the big box stores. What the dealer is now required to do to get paid on warranty sounds like both company's where going from the same text book. Dealerships that have been in business for 30 - 40 - 50 years starting loosing money in the service department for first time. What was there answer...? Only do warranty work on units that where sold here!!. #1. Reason why.. setup and PDI!! #2. Reason why.. the shop labor rates from the manufacturer (what the dealer makes) was about 1/2 the posted shop rate. Nobody wants to work for half pay.

The over all out come of this mess (long of the short) Dealers all came togeter and formed a counsel that layed out to Deere how there warranty "Service plan" doesn't work!! They had there trained service professionals try and do repairs at what the "book time" said it should said take... not one repair could be made correctly by there time they where given. Today.. JD pays dealers POSTED shop rates!! parts are credited to dealer at MSRP. You would be hard pressed to have a dealer turn down warranty work now. And... if there's something that's in the Grey area .. there's working room for all!!!

Why did JD do this... people will never buy a #2 .. if they couldn't find someone to fix #1

I know the camping world is different from the equipment business. . Just thought it was funny how... with warranty it appears to be exactly the same!
ggrant119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
mark1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrant119 View Post
I have been reading this topic and wanted to jump in on numerous occasions.. This is my $.02.....lol..

mark1228 - I appreciate you telling us what the dealership goes thru when dealing with warranty. I was in the John Deere Equipment business for many years. As an Operations Manager for the dealership there was a constant give and take with the manufacturer when it came to warranty work... That all came to a nasty crashing hault the day John Deere Corp. signed the contract with Home Depot to sell equipment in the big box stores. What the dealer is now required to do to get paid on warranty sounds like both company's where going from the same text book. Dealerships that have been in business for 30 - 40 - 50 years starting loosing money in the service department for first time. What was there answer...? Only do warranty work on units that where sold here!!. #1. Reason why.. setup and PDI!! #2. Reason why.. the shop labor rates from the manufacturer (what the dealer makes) was about 1/2 the posted shop rate. Nobody wants to work for half pay.

The over all out come of this mess (long of the short) Dealers all came togeter and formed a counsel that layed out to Deere how there warranty "Service plan" doesn't work!! They had there trained service professionals try and do repairs at what the "book time" said it should said take... not one repair could be made correctly by there time they where given. Today.. JD pays dealers POSTED shop rates!! parts are credited to dealer at MSRP. You would be hard pressed to have a dealer turn down warranty work now. And... if there's something that's in the Grey area .. there's working room for all!!!

Why did JD do this... people will never buy a #2 .. if they couldn't find someone to fix #1

I know the camping world is different from the equipment business. . Just thought it was funny how... with warranty it appears to be exactly the same!
Grant- thanks for jumping in. It's always good to hear a different point of view. I'm happy to hear the end result for JD, I can only hope we go that way in the RV industry. Believe me, if there was money in warranty work, we would all do it but as it is today only a shop that is slower will take it on just to keep guys busy
mark1228 is offline   Reply With Quote