Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2024, 07:46 AM   #1
mboge

Detailed dimensions for my rig?

We are waiting to pick up our 2870RL - and in the meantime, we wanted to do some planning and shopping ahead of time.

What I'm looking for are some detailed measurements and dimensions of our RV? Room dimensions, closet and storage compartment sizes, distances from ball to front of body, ball to front tire, etc...

Are there any places online that have this level of detail?
mboge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:18 AM   #2
dutchmensport

Short answer "no."

Be patient and wait till you have the camper in your possession to purchase or change anything. Actually, you REALLY should use your camper a couple times first before adding or changing anything. Your initial impressions will change after you've actually used your camper a couple times. Start out with a drive way camp, get the feel for it. Experience it's natural flow for a couple weeks. THEN begin doing outfitting changes. BECAUSE..... what you initially thought would work stowed away in THAT cabinet is really NOT where it's the most practical place to put it.

Actually, you'll be moving things around for a year before they find a final resting place.... And you'll be swapping things in and out for a year before you stablize. And 2 years from now, you'll be throwing OUT all the stuff you haven't used since it entered the camper. And 3 years from you, you'll have most everything in your camper on sale on Craigs list because it's all been replaced with stuff that actually works and fits in your camper.

That's OK though.... we've all done that!

My advise ... WAIT till you have the camper in your possession .... then have fun!
Old 03-18-2024, 11:29 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I would wait. Every unit is different to some degree, even with units of the same model.

I get that you are excited (we have a new 5th wheel on order). But measurements are only part of it. You really need to see and feel the space, sit inside, and look around.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:37 PM   #4
mboge

Points taken (now, to convince my wife she should wait! )

Although there is one thing I would like to do before I take possession, and that is try to determine where I will be able to park this on my property (and IF I'll have enough room to back it in from the street).

Is it safe to assume that the stated length of the trailer on the Keystone website is from "ball to bumper"?

I know it's a little nerdy, but I'm trying to mock up my street and driveway and based on my tow vehicle, determine if I'll be able to make the turn (and if I will need to move my mailbox). So, the other measurement I'm looking for is the distance from the ball to the back tire, since that's the pivot point where I'd need to calculate the radius and the space I would need.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:10 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If the neighbors park on the street, if there's a curb that joins your driveway, if there is any "rise or fall" to the drive, all of that will change how you can approach your drive. Any slope can easily catch the rear of the trailer or the stabilizer/leveling jacks (as can that curb next to the drive), depending on the trailer, tow vehicle hitch height, length of the tow vehicle (when trying to maneuver around that mailbox and a long list of other "variables" that you'll encounter, the reality of "if it's not an open acre spot with no low hanging branches", you'll do better not worrying about it and just let "reality dictate what you need to do" after the trailer and tow vehicle are "in the space"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:10 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

The length listed for your unit (32’ 7”) is close enough for your purposes. That is from the center of the ball to the most rearward protrusion. On my current unit, a 240BH, the listed total length is 27’ 4” and that is spot on with my own measurements.

I do have a helpful suggestion though; round up! When making reservations, I list mine as 30’ just to make sure I have room to maneuver and park at sites.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:54 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with above. Look at my sig and you'll see my hitched up length is just over 55'. Go larger on reservations and unless your street and driveway are unusually narrow parking should be similar to many cg back in sites.

The plus side is that the longer the trailer the esier they are to back up. After a few sessions the easier it becomes. Just note where your trailer tires are, how you turn your truck and the final results. Keep in mind the overhang of the trailer and where the trucks front tires are at all times. Don't get in a hurry and don't be too embarrassed to pull up and try again. It's much better to pull up and correct vs getting panicked and getting in a jamb.

Like a lot of thing, practice/repetition makes it easier. Most times I'll back in to a very tight space in one smooth shot without touching the brakes. This comes from many years of towing various boat, camper & utility trailers. Thing is, we can all have a bad day (at least I can) and end up looking like it's our first time. When that happens to me I'll just drive around and circle back to give it another go. For me, it resets my brain and prevents frustration from blocking better decisions.

It's good to prepare yourself but don't overthink it. All the layouts, drawings, measurements, etc. are no substitute for doing it. You need the brain - muscle coordination experience. It's like hitting a baseball or riding a bike, you can read all about it or watch videos but you just need to do it and you'll likely find out that you can.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:04 AM   #8
mboge

I sincerely appreciate all of the advice, and based on my past experience in other areas, I couldn't agree more that confidence will come with practice.

However.

My experience has also taught me that planning and visualizing is also very helpful. While there is a fine line "between thoughtful planning" and "over-thinking" (I'll admit that I've crossed that line several times before), I think it can be useful for avoiding mistakes but also in building confidence.

Having said that... I'd still like to know the distance from my axels to the back of the trailer. Other than driving to the dealer with a tape measure, any suggestions?
Old 03-19-2024, 05:12 AM   #9
cougar23

Call Keystone! They can give some valuable information.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:14 AM   #10
PolarisCobra

Depending on the layout of your property, you may not need to back in. My street is busy, speed limit is 45, which means lots of people are going faster, and aren't always patient. They will pull right up to you.

My driveway is 100 plus feet long, with an open lawn on the right as I drive in. I pull straight in, back the trailer onto the grass, and pull out towards the street. Basically a form of a three point turn.

As long as we haven't had a ton of rain, the trailer doesn't rut up the lawn, and it takes the pressure off me.

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2018 Bullet 272 BHS
PolarisCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:21 AM   #11
notanlines

Dutch, "And 2 years from now, you'll be throwing OUT all the stuff you haven't used since it entered the camper,"DW says that's your first 'lie' of the day!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:15 AM   #12
Bliss53

We just traded up to a 2024 2870 RL. We made a lot of initial purchases that we thought would be useful for our first trailer that were not. Most were able to be returned some were not. Going much slower with this trailer. It is further complicated by the addition of a puppy.
Bliss53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:57 AM   #13
dutchmensport

Do some detailed measurements of your property, drive way entrance. Measure the street width, your drive way width, and any angle or curves in the road. Transfer all those measurements to a drawing on paper.

Now take several ground hocky cones, or even styrofoam cups filled with water and use them to set up your driveway and street in an open parking lot when it is not in use. Take the new camper and now practice backing into the dimensions of the cones or cups, or blocks of wood, or whatever you may use for markers. Practice until you get the feel of backing in.

Now, most important .... do this before you attempt to back into your own driveway at home the first time. In other words, do this the day you take delivery of your new camper BEFORE you get home.

After you have a good feel for where the pivot point is on the tires of the trailer, how wide of an angle you need to make the turn, and what it takes to straighten everything up once inside your own driveway, you'll have the information you need to finally go home and park in your own driveway.

Do this and take the time to figure it all out and get comfortable before you find yourself in the road blocking traffic.

I've done similar with every camper I've owned. It was the best hour I spent with all my campers when they were brand new.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:17 PM   #14
mboge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Do some detailed measurements of your property, drive way entrance. Measure the street width, your drive way width, and any angle or curves in the road. Transfer all those measurements to a drawing on paper.

Now take several ground hocky cones, or even styrofoam cups filled with water and use them to set up your driveway and street in an open parking lot when it is not in use. Take the new camper and now practice backing into the dimensions of the cones or cups, or blocks of wood, or whatever you may use for markers. Practice until you get the feel of backing in.

Now, most important .... do this before you attempt to back into your own driveway at home the first time. In other words, do this the day you take delivery of your new camper BEFORE you get home.
Great advice and this will be my plan!

Here's what I'm working with, just FYI:

Old 03-19-2024, 02:30 PM   #15
GlasNav

IF you don't have a lot of room for a gradual swing and approach, recommend starting on your side of the road, same side as your driveway. Be careful not to turn too hard and jackknife. But, this will most likely keep your front wheels on the road and from tearing up your neighbors front lawn or taking out their mailbox.
If you have a real friendly neighbor and their driveway is long enough, you could pull into that head first, then back across the street into your driveway.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:07 PM   #16
rlh1957

While year, model# & floor-plans are the same the actual sizes of individual compartments, closets, etc can and do vary.
Best to measure and upgrade for your individual rig and not measurements of your bro in-law’s same rig, unless general dimensions are what you want.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:38 AM   #17
Stangfire

I would think that Keystone would be able to provide the specific dimensions you need. Overall length, Wheel base, axle spacing, etc. Find your VIN and model number and send them an email.

Be sure to take in account tail swing.

Last year when I brought home my 31’ (34’ overall) Hideout I had to cut down trees, branches and move landscaping rocks to get it in the driveway. I then had to air down the tires to clear the eve of my garage. Fortunately I only had to back that in the one time. It is now setup at a permanent camp.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:46 PM   #18
LadyCPA

Hey Matt Tell your wife to be just a bit patient for all those little things. More importantly have her go to the stores, and measure the various items she likes from different stores so that when you get the rig, she knows where to go buy the stuff she wants.
After over a year, my hubby still asks where stuff is as I am still trying to figure out where all of this stuff should live. Especially with us making this our full time residence in a few months and I try to find a spot for everything.
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led