Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2024, 08:33 AM   #1
Peto

TV Mount - Wall Thickness?

Hello, new owner of a 25RDS and trying to install a TV mount. There is a built in area for a 32" tv. I can find the stud but am not sure how much depth I have to work with when mounting the bracket to it.

The kit came with 1-3/4 in lag bolts but I am afraid they will be too long. The stud appears to be framed flat instead of on edge like a typical framed wall.

Does anyone know if this wall (exterior wall ) is flat framed or conventional framed. Or if the stud I am finding is only framed in as a mounting support since it's in the designated TV alcove.

My first thought is to get 1-1/2' bolts to use for the mount since I do not want to drill through the skin of the RV.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:55 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

The first step is to only mount the TV where there is a white sticker with black letters that says "Television Mount Backer Located Here". I would not screw anything to an exterior wall trying to hit an aluminum stud, and I would not suggest anything other than stainless steel screws if you do try to screw into a stud.

You might be okay if they installed the backer in the TV cabinet like they were supposed to since it is "prepped for TV". In any case, I don't think you need more than a 1" screw to do the job.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:52 AM   #3
Peto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
The first step is to only mount the TV where there is a white sticker with black letters that says "Television Mount Backer Located Here".

Yeah. It would be nice if they had installed a sticker but no luck. I can hear the stud and will have to do my own measurements to find center line etc... for mounting.

Just curious how much room is available but agree 1" bolts should be fine enough.....

I plan to drill a small hole in the paneling next to the "Backer" and probe it with an ice pick to see if I can get a definitive answer....
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:29 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If it has a metal backer glued to the wall, just use a decent magnet. As you move it, when it no longer “sticks” mark the edge with a piece of tape.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:40 PM   #5
SargeW

When I cut a hole in the side wall of my rig to install a dryer vent the side wall including the luan wall panel measured just 1 1/4" thick. So be very careful with the length of your screws.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...&d=1680497629h
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:19 PM   #6
dutchmensport

Not sure what model a 25RDS is (Cougar, Springdale, other), but these campers are made all pretty much the same. If yours is aluminum framed, the outside walls, on the inside is filled with Styrofoam fitted between aluminum frames. Here's a couple photos from when I installed an outside shower and cut a hole in the side of my Montana. This will help, I hope!

What you need to do is mount a backer board, something bigger and catch both ends on actual studs. Then use metal screws (not wood screws) and attach the board. Also, apply a very generous amount of wood bonding putty, like Liquid Nails or Gorilla Calking to glue the board to the wall as well. Let the glue / calking dry, then attach the television mount to the board using 1 - 1/2 inch wood screws. ... like this --- which is what I did on a previous camper I had:

Old 02-12-2024, 03:11 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The OP's trailer is a Hideout. The Hideout brand is a wood frame, spun fiberglass blanket insulation, 0.0024" aluminum sided trailer. It is not built with aluminum studs, "vacuum formed rigid foam wall" technology. The "good part" of that is that a 2x2 spruce wall stud will probably hold a screw better than the 0.030" square aluminum tubing used in aluminum frame trailers.

Many of the "limitations" are the same, such as 2" MAXIMUM wall thickness (likely a bit less thickness), wide spaced or irregularly spaced vertical wall studs, "mismeasured or missing decals" to indicate a backer plate location, or even a missing backer plate along with the missing decal.

About the only "similarity" between the two technologies is the interior 1/8" luan wallboard. In both the rigid foam/FILON walls and the fiberglass insulation/aluminum walls, the interior wall surface won't support a television.

If the OP can't locate the backer plate, you might consider spanning two "known stud locations" with a piece of plywood that's thick enough to support your TV, attach that plywood to the two known studs and mount your TV bracket to the plywood. You can "finish it to match/contrast your decor as you see fit. Here's a couple of examples of a plywood mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV MOUNT 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	46226   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV MOUNT 3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	46227  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:39 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

I guess the 25RDs can be one of several models. I was suspecting a newer model (Cougar) not the Hideout. But there is a big difference between the construction of them that would dictate the best method of mounting the TV.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:12 PM   #9
cougar23

We have a Cougar 23MLE. I mounted a 42in. TV to one stud using a PAW mount. The TV hangs very close to the wall and cannot be pivoted. I had to modify a backing board for the other half of the PAW mount for the back of TV.
Today's TV's are very light and unless you need a pivot mount I would not hesitate to mount on a single stud. I will add that I remove the TV for traveling and carry it on our bed. PAW mounts are available from Amazon.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:13 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I guess the 25RDs can be one of several models. I was suspecting a newer model (Cougar) not the Hideout. But there is a big difference between the construction of them that would dictate the best method of mounting the TV.
Yep, the 25RDS is available in the Hideout line and the Cougar line. The general layout is similar, but there are some substantial differences in floorplans and some remarkable differences in construction materials.

Unfortunately, the OP's profile as to "which 25RDS" he owns isn't visible to the general membership until he has 5 posts. The site team has access to that info as soon as a member joins, but that part of the profile is restricted until a member has 5 posts. The purpose of that limitation is intended to prevent someone from joining the forum, "shotgunning SPAM", illicit profile photos or avatars as well as harmful "home page links" that might go to a site that can lead to harm by downloading files that may infect a computer or worse. The hope is that should that occur, the site team would have found and eliminated the danger before 5 posts. It may present an inconvenience, as in this thread, but better safe than sorry.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-18-2024, 01:28 PM   #11
MrKABC

202QBWE here.

This is the "sticks and tin" type install, and hoo boy did the studfinder NOT work. I have a good Franklin one too. I'm not sure what type of wall plate there is behind the wall or how big it is, but I got two bolts to bite (left ones) and not the the other two - those were a "if I keep turning the bolt it will just spin" type of installation.

I decided to "let it ride" with just the two bolts that I thought should support the 17.5lb 40" TV.

Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240217_171422.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	46263   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240217_173911.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	46264   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240217_180013.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	46265   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240217_184940.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	46266  
Mods: 800w Solar, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter, Victron 100/50 MPPT, Battle Born GC2 LiPo (x5), FOS07TASF Furrion backup camera, RVLock v4, Mopeka PRO (x2) LPG tank sensors, TireMinder i10 TPMS, Micro Air 364 soft start capacitor, 40" TV, Garnet See Level 709P3W1003 tank monitor system, RVLovent 14" Roof Fan.
Coming attractions: 9880 Dirt Devil central vacuum, Nautilus RV shower door system.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:09 PM   #12
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Yeah. It would be nice if they had installed a sticker but no luck. I can hear the stud and will have to do my own measurements to find center line etc... for mounting.

Just curious how much room is available but agree 1" bolts should be fine enough.....

I plan to drill a small hole in the paneling next to the "Backer" and probe it with an ice pick to see if I can get a definitive answer....
I would recommend buying the ultrasonic stud finder that hooks to your phone. It will show you exactly where the stud is, so you can center on it.

I was fortunate enough to find a stud inside of the towel closet in our bathroom. The opposite side of the wall is where the clock and multimedia center were, in the living room. I hung a flat screen TV hanger, on that stud. It works like a charm. We have a 40 inch TV there.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:28 PM   #13
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
We have a Cougar 23MLE. I mounted a 42in. TV to one stud using a PAW mount. The TV hangs very close to the wall and cannot be pivoted. I had to modify a backing board for the other half of the PAW mount for the back of TV.
Today's TV's are very light and unless you need a pivot mount I would not hesitate to mount on a single stud. I will add that I remove the TV for traveling and carry it on our bed. PAW mounts are available from Amazon.
You put a 42” on that wall? I know the wall. Not a lot of space. The mounting board inside the wall was larger than I thought it would be after finding it with a Franklin. I mounted a flush pivot bracket there with ease and no additional backer needed. It’s about the same size as the PAW you referenced.

Yes, the tv travels safe and sound off the wall.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:31 PM   #14
Mr Mojo

I wouldn't rely on the sticker anyway. When I was mounting my TV, the sticker was off by several inches. I would go the backer board route as shown above.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:31 AM   #15
Panacash

I have a 2021 keystone bullet bunk house 287QBS and want to mount a tv in the bedroom. The wall says mount bracket here so what kind of bracket do I use and what is in the wall that will hold the tv as you bounce down the road? or do people remove the tv when traveling?
Panacash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:49 AM   #16
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacash View Post
I have a 2021 keystone bullet bunk house 287QBS and want to mount a tv in the bedroom. The wall says mount bracket here so what kind of bracket do I use and what is in the wall that will hold the tv as you bounce down the road? or do people remove the tv when traveling?
I used a swinging, pivoting wall bracket, which I remove the TV from when we travel.
Not a good idea to leave the TV hanging when you roll.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:21 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Remember that this thread is about installing a TV on the sidewall of a Hideout WOOD FRAME trailer. Your Bullet has an ALUMINUM FRAME, so installation, while on a similar location, is going to be done on a different sidewall technology (wood frame with fiberglass insulation and aluminum siding versus aluminum frame, laminated rigid foam insulation and FILON siding).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-18-2024, 05:40 AM   #18
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo View Post
I wouldn't rely on the sticker anyway. When I was mounting my TV, the sticker was off by several inches. I would go the backer board route as shown above.
Yep, what he said ^^^. I trusted the sticker in the bedroom of my 25mle and ended up with a hole inside my bathroom medicine cabinet.

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:51 AM   #19
curtiscapk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBears View Post
Yep, what he said ^^^. I trusted the sticker in the bedroom of my 25mle and ended up with a hole inside my bathroom medicine cabinet.
Yep my old hideout had a misplaced sticker. TV on the floor the first trip. Unbelievably it wasn't broken. Used a stud finder and tv off the wall while travelling after that.
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:40 PM   #20
MrKABC

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Z7NVBK...roduct_details

Get this bad actor. It's designed for RVs. Simple to install, and is compatible with TV VESA mounts. It latches your TV to the wall when traveling. Pull the cord to release the latch when you want to swing it out away from the wall.

Check out my pix in this thread, you can see it installed in my rig.
Mods: 800w Solar, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter, Victron 100/50 MPPT, Battle Born GC2 LiPo (x5), FOS07TASF Furrion backup camera, RVLock v4, Mopeka PRO (x2) LPG tank sensors, TireMinder i10 TPMS, Micro Air 364 soft start capacitor, 40" TV, Garnet See Level 709P3W1003 tank monitor system, RVLovent 14" Roof Fan.
Coming attractions: 9880 Dirt Devil central vacuum, Nautilus RV shower door system.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tv mount