Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2023, 08:36 AM   #1
Drewl

When to use WDH

Hi all. What length of TT should one be using a WDH? A buddys son is towing a 24ft TT with none. Is this safe? are these mandatory? I would think for stability purposes they are. Thank you for your reply.
Drewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 09:04 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would say it depends on his tow vehicle. It can’t hurt, only help.

If the trailer is single axle, then I would definitely use WD with sway

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 09:24 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I think that there is a bucket load of opinion about trailer length and weight distribution hitch "requirement".... It's all, for the most part, OPINION....

There are commercial tractors (18 wheelers) pulling 80' mobile homes (trailers) on the highways with no weight distribution. So, trying to "lock down a trailer length" and a "appropriate tow vehicle category" based on trailer length will almost always fall back to the "OPINION" not "ENGINEERING REQUIREMENT" type of argument. In other words, for every "post stating a specific length trailer" you will get a response saying, "My trailer is a foot longer and I don't use WD and have no sway"... Whether it's because they've never towed in a sidewind, never towed above 45 MPH or some other factor, you'll almost always get an "exception to the opinion"...

What is NOT opinion is the actual engineering weight limits on the receiver mounted under the tow vehicle. Every receiver was installed with a label on it that mandates the weight limits for that receiver. Here are a couple of photos of specific receiver weight limits attached to the actual component. These weight limits MANDATE when the use of a WD hitch is mandatory. They are based on the receiver being installed on an appropriate vehicle and the tongue weight of the trailer.

It's trailer tongue weight, not trailer length that "establishes the requirement for a WD system"...

Now, when it comes to "sway control", that "consideration" is not based on weight, but multiple factors such as tow vehicle suspension, distance behind the rear axle to the hitch ball, trailer weight configuration, sidewall square footage and a host of other factors....

But, when it comes to "engineering requirement for a weight distribution hitch" look at the decal on the receiver. It will give you the information you need to determine if a WD hitch is required for a specific trailer load.

ADDED: Now that this has been stated, also keep in mind that you simply have to use some "common sense" in the factors involved. As an example, you can't put a class V receiver under a Fiesta and think you can tow a 12K GW trailer "because you've go the receiver rating to meet that trailer weight.

ALL of the ratings, tow vehicle ratings for GVWR, FAWR, RAWR, Tire ratings, receiver rating, even the payload rating fall into the considerations when "determining if weight distribution is needed for a trailer. Trailer length is a consideration, but more "weighted toward sway control" than toward "weight distribution need".....

Here's the sample receiver labels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Expedition receiver weight limits.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	44545   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch data plate.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	44546   Click image for larger version

Name:	HITCH PIX.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	44547  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 09:56 AM   #4
Max23

Yes, It will very greatly depending on what he is pulling it with. My ( previous ) f150 had a hitch weight of only 500lbs. Ad a WDH and it was magically 1325lbs. As JRTJH stated, its all about what your pulling it with. I would say just for "safety sake", yes he should have a WDH but thats my "opinon".
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:31 PM   #5
Drewl

The tow vehicle is a 2012 Tundra now. He had an 06 2500 ram. Same there too though, no WDH. The Tundra is lower at the hitch so the trailer is up in the rear. A different hitch config should level it off I imagine.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:40 PM   #6
Max23

Yes. the Tundra is a half ton and will "in my opinion" need the WDH. If he's unable to hold it level, he needs one. His 2500 was probably fine without, although I have a 2500 and still use one. Just keeps things nice and level and safe and gives some sway control and peace of mind. I wouldn't consider using a half ton without a WDH pulling any RV. I mean unless it's like a little teardrop or something of that nature.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:44 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewl View Post
The tow vehicle is a 2012 Tundra now. He had an 06 2500 ram. Same there too though, no WDH. The Tundra is lower at the hitch so the trailer is up in the rear. A different hitch config should level it off I imagine.

The fellow needs a good wdh with 4 point sway without a doubt. A 24' trailer will overpower the Tundra without thinking about it. That is an unsafe condition.

The sway should be used on any travel trailer on any 1/2 ton. They should also be used on any SRW truck and even DRWs depending on the size of the trailer - I would use one no matter what it was (travel trailer not utility etc.). A bigger truck can handle the sway because it doesn't push/pull the truck as much so you don't feel it, it doesn't mean the trailer isn't swaying. Once it starts whipping the size of the truck really doesn't matter if it wants to twist off that ball.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 01:07 PM   #8
Drewl

Thats my thinking exactly. Better safe than having the trailer pass you going down the highway after a semi passes you.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:23 PM   #9
Max23

Ya them darn semis do create a bit of turbulence! Nothin like being sucked in as they fly by. Lol
Old 07-24-2023, 04:30 AM   #10
jvbutter01

Quote:
Hi all. What length of TT should one be using a WDH? A buddys son is towing a 24ft TT with none. Is this safe? are these mandatory? I would think for stability purposes they are. Thank you for your reply.
funny you ask, was talking to a neighbor the other day. Pretty smart guy, a bit cheap at times. He has a 30+ ft toy hauler, tipple axle. Tows it with standard hitch. I asked why? i would never tow my out camping without. Mind you when getting or putting into storage, i use standard hitch. Its also 4miles from the house. He's got a 2012 Ram 2500.Truck can handle it, just any wind would worry me.
Old 07-24-2023, 01:08 PM   #11
Traveler2017

Just the other day saw the direct results of pulling a trailer without a WDH. The truck was a GMC 2500 pulling a 30' toy hauler with a side by side in the back. Truck was on a winding road and came around a tight corner and his trailer decided to try and pass him.
When the CVSE and RCMP were doing there analysis of the accident it was determined without much thought that if he had been using a WDH this accident probably would never have happened.
BTW Trailer, Quad and Truck were all total write offs. Luckily everyone in tow vehicle walked away with only minor injuries.
VE7HSQ
Traveler2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:21 PM   #12
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2017 View Post
Just the other day saw the direct results of pulling a trailer without a WDH. The truck was a GMC 2500 pulling a 30' toy hauler with a side by side in the back. Truck was on a winding road and came around a tight corner and his trailer decided to try and pass him..
thats a lot of weight swinging on a pendulum back there. Glad they were safe.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:53 AM   #13
crowbar

Hi Drewl. My trailer is a bit longer than that and I have and use a wdh hitch. But at times, if the campground is close, I'll leave it at home and just take it easy. It is safer though and more comfortable when you use it. I live just a little south of you.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:04 AM   #14
Mainer

Oh Oh!

Quote:
We dumped our 2016 Tundra after going to a Catscale and finding our lightly loaded 21 ft ultralight put us right at GVW. I'd suggest he visits a scale or just go back to a 2500/250.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:27 PM   #15
Drewl

I hope he takes these posts/comments to heart. I mean wt*! Not sure why he's hell bent about not using the wdh.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:35 PM   #16
Drewl

Hey Crowbar we're practically neighbours. I'll be down your way checking out the bass fishing at the lake. I hear its good.
Old 08-24-2023, 04:52 AM   #17
dutchmensport

I used WD with a 24 foot long travel trailer and a (gasser) Chevy Silverado 3500 dually, long bed, crew cab. I never towed without the WD. Overkill? probably, but I also had 100% trouble free towing experiences too!

Use WD. It hurts nothing and helps everything. Take the safest route you can, as far as hitches and towing goes. If the inevitable ever happens, you'll kick yourself for a long, long time for cheezing out in the first place. You've spent a small fortune on your tow vehicle and trailer, so why cheap out when it coms to towing?