Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2024, 06:09 AM   #1
JoeVMorton

Cougar 23MLE noob questions

We just brought home our 2023 23MLE (first RV) and there are a few things that I haven't been able to find a clear answer on after going through the manual and searching some. Having said that, sorry if some of these have been answered before!

1.It's stored on a concrete drive that slopes several inches from driver to passenger side. Is it Ok to lower the front stabilizers, leave the rear up, and chock the wheels while it's parked? It won't auto level without some blocks and if I don't need to do that, I don't really see a point to it.

2.There are several battery disconnects - do I disconnect all of them? If so, will the solar still trickle charge the battery and keep it in good order?

3.It is supposed to be pre-wired for TPMS and Rear Camera but I can't seem to find any more details. Where do I look for that information?

TIA,
Joe
JoeVMorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 06:31 AM   #2
Camping family

Welcome I’m not an expert but from reading other post and questions I have asked this is information I have found. I’m also sure others with more experience then I will provide answers also.

Don’t see any problem with lowering the stabilizer jacks if that’s going to help to level.

Myself when I had mine parked in driveway before I got 50 amp service set up I always kept in plugged in just to keep batteries charged. There is always some drain on the batteries.

As for the solar can’t answer that never had solar on my unit.

If prewired for rear camera the wires should be at the center top of rear. Should be a light that you just remove and the wires are there. At least that how mine is.

Might also tray a u tube google I have found a lot of answers to my questions there.

Hope this helps some.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:24 AM   #3
JoeVMorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Welcome I’m not an expert but from reading other post and questions I have asked this is information I have found. I’m also sure others with more experience then I will provide answers also.

Don’t see any problem with lowering the stabilizer jacks if that’s going to help to level.

Myself when I had mine parked in driveway before I got 50 amp service set up I always kept in plugged in just to keep batteries charged. There is always some drain on the batteries.

As for the solar can’t answer that never had solar on my unit.

If prewired for rear camera the wires should be at the center top of rear. Should be a light that you just remove and the wires are there. At least that how mine is.

Might also tray a u tube google I have found a lot of answers to my questions there.

Hope this helps some.
Thanks, that's helpful. I think I have the terminology down now. My landing jacks are down (front), but my stabilizer jacks aren't. It sounds like they don't need to be down for safety, which is what I was worried about.

I came across this area on the Keystone site that does seem to have some useful info (but still pretty generic):

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-how-to

I believe that the 2023 came equipped with the Lithium battery, so this should help with that:

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-ho...hium-batteries

Going to do that next.
Joe
Old 03-17-2024, 09:09 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

To answer the question about "Can I store my trailer off level?

Yes, you can STORE it off level with no significant harm. But DO NOT open or close the slides when off level "by several inches". Your slides require "first level the trailer before slide activation" (it's in the Owner's Manual)....

The "pre-wired rear camera" usually means that there is a "plastic mount and cover" installed under the center clearance light with a white/green wire pair behind the mount. Remove the mount cover and you "should" be able to see the white/green wire. About half the owners find the wires, the other half wind up "digging in the rear wall" to locate the wire.

There is no "real pre-wired TPMS". The valve stem transmitters work on a battery that sends a signal to the receiver located in the truck cab. It's an "independent system with nothing wired to the trailer"... That said, you "may find a wire pair in the front passthrough" (probably zip-tied to the ceiling of the passthrough) that is intended to power a "TPMS booster" which only amplifies the weak signal from the valve stem transmitters. That is "useful for longer trailers" but not necessary on most shorter length trailers where the signal is strong enough to reach the cab display without the booster.

As for "battery disconnects" that also depends on how good a day the installer was having.... IMO, if there is sufficient sunlight where you're parked, then leaving the batteries connected and everything energized will do no harm. i wouldn't leave the refrigerator or inverter turned on and would make sure all the lights are also off, but as for the memory circuits, safety devices (CO/smoke detector) and In-Command system (if you have that option), the solar panels should provide enough solar power to keep the batteries charged with those "phantom drains" drawing power. The way to determine that is to "first try it with the battery switches turned on and monitor the battery voltage. If it keeps up, you're good, if the battery voltage is going down, then you would need to try different switch combinations to see what works. Keep in mind that someone who has the EXACT same trailer as you and is parked in a location where the sunlight hits the trailer at a different angle or for more/less hours per day, their results will be different from yours... So, it's more a "one off result".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:57 AM   #5
cougar23

Joe
On our 2023 Cougar 23MLE it came with 2 Lithium 100AH batteries and 400 watts of solar. If refrigerator and lights are left off the solar will keep the batteries charged. No need to turn disconnects off.
Camping Family answered about the rear view camera connection.
As for the TMS connection in pass-thru, you have to buy the Lippert system for it. You can get a cheaper and better system on-line. I bought the Truck System Technologies TM-507 unit for our Cougar. Same system as used by tractor trailer drivers.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:07 PM   #6
JoeVMorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
To answer the question about "Can I store my trailer off level?

Yes, you can STORE it off level with no significant harm. But DO NOT open or close the slides when off level "by several inches". Your slides require "first level the trailer before slide activation" (it's in the Owner's Manual)....

The "pre-wired rear camera" usually means that there is a "plastic mount and cover" installed under the center clearance light with a white/green wire pair behind the mount. Remove the mount cover and you "should" be able to see the white/green wire. About half the owners find the wires, the other half wind up "digging in the rear wall" to locate the wire.

There is no "real pre-wired TPMS". The valve stem transmitters work on a battery that sends a signal to the receiver located in the truck cab. It's an "independent system with nothing wired to the trailer"... That said, you "may find a wire pair in the front passthrough" (probably zip-tied to the ceiling of the passthrough) that is intended to power a "TPMS booster" which only amplifies the weak signal from the valve stem transmitters. That is "useful for longer trailers" but not necessary on most shorter length trailers where the signal is strong enough to reach the cab display without the booster.

As for "battery disconnects" that also depends on how good a day the installer was having.... IMO, if there is sufficient sunlight where you're parked, then leaving the batteries connected and everything energized will do no harm. i wouldn't leave the refrigerator or inverter turned on and would make sure all the lights are also off, but as for the memory circuits, safety devices (CO/smoke detector) and In-Command system (if you have that option), the solar panels should provide enough solar power to keep the batteries charged with those "phantom drains" drawing power. The way to determine that is to "first try it with the battery switches turned on and monitor the battery voltage. If it keeps up, you're good, if the battery voltage is going down, then you would need to try different switch combinations to see what works. Keep in mind that someone who has the EXACT same trailer as you and is parked in a location where the sunlight hits the trailer at a different angle or for more/less hours per day, their results will be different from yours... So, it's more a "one off result".
That's exactly what I was looking for John, also good to know about the slides. Starting to understand why everyone recommended a model that had access with them in.

I see the "dome" on the top back of the trailer, hopefully I won't have to dig into the wall for the wires.

Good to know on the TPMS, that isn't obvious at all from what I have read.

I think that you are right about enough solar to keep it charged while connected. It's not facing South, but I think the sun is usually high enough to keep it charged. I just discovered the Victron app, so I will try it both ways.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-17-2024, 04:12 PM   #7
JoeVMorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
Joe
On our 2023 Cougar 23MLE it came with 2 Lithium 100AH batteries and 400 watts of solar. If refrigerator and lights are left off the solar will keep the batteries charged. No need to turn disconnects off.
Camping Family answered about the rear view camera connection.
As for the TMS connection in pass-thru, you have to buy the Lippert system for it. You can get a cheaper and better system on-line. I bought the Truck System Technologies TM-507 unit for our Cougar. Same system as used by tractor trailer drivers.
Great, I appreciate you sharing your experience. It looks like the 2024 doesn't come with the Lithium batteries, so I guess that's a positive on finding a 2023 model.

I will look into the TM-507, thanks for the lead on that. What do you use for a backup camera on your Cougar?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-17-2024, 04:47 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVMorton View Post
Great, I appreciate you sharing your experience. It looks like the 2024 doesn't come with the Lithium batteries, so I guess that's a positive on finding a 2023 model.

I will look into the TM-507, thanks for the lead on that. What do you use for a backup camera on your Cougar?
Thanks,
Joe
Neither the 2023 Cougar nor the 2024 Cougar models with the standard SolarFlex 220 nor the optional SolarFlex 440i comes from the factory with lithium batteries unless the dealership ordered the option. Two DragonFly 100 amp/hr batteries with heat packs are available as an option from the factory. Cost for that in 2023 was $2400 in 2024 cost is $2700. The optional SolarFlex 660i does come with a 270 amp/hr lithium battery included in that package for a cost of $11,430.

So, if your trailer has any brand other than DragonFly batteries, they are an aftermarket install by either the dealer or a previous owner. AFAIK, everything from the factory is DragonFly and that brand is not available except for OEM at the factory. The dealerships are installing BattleBorn (if they are using the same quality battery or an "off brand" if they are installing something that is not the same as OEM.

DragonFly is the commercial side and BattleBorn is the consumer side of the same company.

Ain't nuthin' free these days .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-18-2024, 05:37 AM   #9
JoeVMorton

Quote:
Neither the 2023 Cougar nor the 2024 Cougar models with the standard SolarFlex 220 nor the optional SolarFlex 440i comes from the factory with lithium batteries unless the dealership ordered the option. Two DragonFly 100 amp/hr batteries with heat packs are available as an option from the factory. Cost for that in 2023 was $2400 in 2024 cost is $2700. The optional SolarFlex 660i does come with a 270 amp/hr lithium battery included in that package for a cost of $11,430.

So, if your trailer has any brand other than DragonFly batteries, they are an aftermarket install by either the dealer or a previous owner. AFAIK, everything from the factory is DragonFly and that brand is not available except for OEM at the factory. The dealerships are installing BattleBorn (if they are using the same quality battery or an "off brand" if they are installing something that is not the same as OEM.

DragonFly is the commercial side and BattleBorn is the consumer side of the same company.

Ain't nuthin' free these days .....
I think that applies double to RVs. Thanks for the info, armed with that, I discovered that ours has the 400i with the DragonFly batteries.

In our negotiation I mentioned that the MSRP they had for the 2023 was quite a bit higher than the base 2024 MSRP. They never even mentioned the Lithium, so I guess they didn't know, or they had it long enough it didn't matter.
Joe
Old 03-18-2024, 07:25 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

It was my understanding that the trailer was off-level more than a few degrees, the ammonia in the refrigerator would pool and the cooling unit would be harmed.

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/know-...work-properly/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:22 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
It was my understanding that the trailer was off-level more than a few degrees, the ammonia in the refrigerator would pool and the cooling unit would be harmed.

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/know-...work-properly/
You're right, George, with regards to the "gas/electric absorption refrigerators". The jury is still out on the 12 volt compressor style refrigerators that are now "standard build" on most Keystone trailers. I say, "the jury is still out" only because there's no "warning in the Owner's Manual" about only operating a compressor refrigerator when it is level or nearly level, although after a couple of years of people replacing their refrigerator as soon as the warranty expires, we may find that "suddenly" there's a warning in an obscure section of the Owner's Manual. Whether it may appear in the refrigerator manual or in the Keystone manual (if there even is a traceable issue with operating compressor refrigerators off level) remains to be seen...

Right now, I don't know of any warnings about "off level operation" with the current 12 volt compressor refrigerators. Of course, it makes NO sense to try to operate a refrigerator if it's impossible to stay in the bed without rolling out due to the "off level parking space"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-18-2024, 12:05 PM   #12
cougar23

Quote:

Thanks,
Joe
I had our dealer install the Furrion Sharkfin Camera with a 7in. monitor. This is a rear view camera stay's on while driving. Had this on our motorhome that we sold and it worked very well.
Larry
Old 03-19-2024, 03:48 AM   #13
JoeVMorton

Quote:
You're right, George, with regards to the "gas/electric absorption refrigerators". The jury is still out on the 12 volt compressor style refrigerators that are now "standard build" on most Keystone trailers. I say, "the jury is still out" only because there's no "warning in the Owner's Manual" about only operating a compressor refrigerator when it is level or nearly level, although after a couple of years of people replacing their refrigerator as soon as the warranty expires, we may find that "suddenly" there's a warning in an obscure section of the Owner's Manual. Whether it may appear in the refrigerator manual or in the Keystone manual (if there even is a traceable issue with operating compressor refrigerators off level) remains to be seen...

Right now, I don't know of any warnings about "off level operation" with the current 12 volt compressor refrigerators. Of course, it makes NO sense to try to operate a refrigerator if it's impossible to stay in the bed without rolling out due to the "off level parking space"....
Thanks John and George, I will make sure not to run it while parked. Another thing that I wouldn’t have thought of.
Joe
Old 03-19-2024, 03:50 AM   #14
JoeVMorton

Quote:
I had our dealer install the Furrion Sharkfin Camera with a 7in. monitor. This is a rear view camera stay's on while driving. Had this on our motorhome that we sold and it worked very well.
Larry
Thanks Larry, that looks like a great option. I feel like it would be really helpful to have one.
Joe
Old 03-19-2024, 05:19 AM   #15
cougar23

Joe, Info for your consideration. Does your unit come with a tankless/on demand water heater? The motorhome we sold had the on demand water heater and we hated it. We had the on demand heater in our 23MLE replaced with a conventual gas/elect. heater before we took it home.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:30 AM   #16
JoeVMorton

Quote:
Joe, Info for your consideration. Does your unit come with a tankless/on demand water heater? The motorhome we sold had the on demand water heater and we hated it. We had the on demand heater in our 23MLE replaced with a conventual gas/elect. heater before we took it home.
What didn't you like about it Larry? I already have it home, but we are planning our "shakeout" trip and I will try to test everything out there.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-24-2024, 09:49 AM   #17
cougar23

We bought a new class c motorhome in 2022. It came with a tankless/on-demand water heater. Things worked ok when we were in a campground with full hook-ups. However, many Corp of Engineers and state parks do not have full hook-ups. With full hook-ups we could let the water run without shutting off just like at home. Did not have to worry about filling the gray tank with sewer connection.
However, many/most Corp of Engineers, State Forest, National Parks and State Parks do not have sewer connections and you can fill your gray tank with just a couple of showers. When we took Navy showers and turned hot water off we got a blast of cold water when hot was turned back on. This happened when cold side of spigot was closed. These heaters work by water flow which in turn ignites the propane burner. Thus you get a shot of cold water before hot water gets there every time spigot is opened. This can use more water from your tank and quickly fill the sewer tanks.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:01 AM   #18
JoeVMorton

Quote:
We bought a new class c motorhome in 2022. It came with a tankless/on-demand water heater. Things worked ok when we were in a campground with full hook-ups. However, many Corp of Engineers and state parks do not have full hook-ups. With full hook-ups we could let the water run without shutting off just like at home. Did not have to worry about filling the gray tank with sewer connection.
However, many/most Corp of Engineers, State Forest, National Parks and State Parks do not have sewer connections and you can fill your gray tank with just a couple of showers. When we took Navy showers and turned hot water off we got a blast of cold water when hot was turned back on. This happened when cold side of spigot was closed. These heaters work by water flow which in turn ignites the propane burner. Thus you get a shot of cold water before hot water gets there every time spigot is opened. This can use more water from your tank and quickly fill the sewer tanks.
Haven't really thought through the boondocking side of things yet, that makes total sense. That type of thing is definitely in our plans, so will have to consider an upgrade at some point. Thanks Larry.
Joe
Old 04-16-2024, 04:37 PM   #19
JoeVMorton

Click image for larger version

Name:	23MLE.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	46738

We just got back from our "shakeout" trip to a local RV park and tested everything that we could think of. It took a bit to sort some things out, but we got through most everything. In the off chance that it could be helpful to someone, here they are:

1.The pilot in the oven is "hidden" unless you crouch down and look under the metal plate. Took a little while to figure out that what I was looking at was a sensor.

2.The hot water is LP, not sure why I thought it was electric. Anyway, it was set to 124 and kept cycling between hot and cold. I found a thread that said to set it to 112-115 and just turn on the hot. That seemed to work perfectly, but is a bit confusing. I guess the manual states the default is 115 - not sure why they had it set to 124.

3.The latch for the fridge is too high and only the freezer lock works easily. Has anyone had this? I plan on trying to lower it.

I had no idea how much fun it would be - thanks for all of the help from everyone on here!
Joe
Old 04-16-2024, 08:10 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Attachment 46738

We just got back from our "shakeout" trip to a local RV park and tested everything that we could think of. It took a bit to sort some things out, but we got through most everything. In the off chance that it could be helpful to someone, here they are:

1.The pilot in the oven is "hidden" unless you crouch down and look under the metal plate. Took a little while to figure out that what I was looking at was a sensor.

2.The hot water is LP, not sure why I thought it was electric. Anyway, it was set to 124 and kept cycling between hot and cold. I found a thread that said to set it to 112-115 and just turn on the hot. That seemed to work perfectly, but is a bit confusing. I guess the manual states the default is 115 - not sure why they had it set to 124.

3.The latch for the fridge is too high and only the freezer lock works easily. Has anyone had this? I plan on trying to lower it.

I had no idea how much fun it would be - thanks for all of the help from everyone on here!
Joe
A campers oven, given the miserable trial of lighting via pilot light hidden in the back corner is actually more useful as a place to store bread and potato chips especially if you occasionally share the trailer with mice.

I am not sure what type water heater you have but suspect tankless? I know nothing about them.

As far as the fridge lock not working, what type fridge do you have? 2 door AC/LPG? You might want to post a picture of the lock as it is hard to imagine how it can't latch if mis-located.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar