Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
callicks

Question Hydraulic slide out

Does someone know the location of the slide out hydraulic pump on a Montana Mountaineer 29FK? My slideout makes a clicking sound and does not always move easily when I start to retract it
callicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
DocData757

I've had 2 5vrs with hydraulics and both times the pump and valve manifold were located in the same area/compartment as the battery.

Since it is a TT with a single, are you sure you have hydraulics vice electro/mechanical?

Good luck!
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Johnnyfry

Slide retraction

The clicking sound is a clue here. Electro-mech click because of the override clutch hydraulic systems generally do not use this type of limiting. My Cougar is the electro-mech type.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
callicks

Type of slideout motor

Only reason I thought it hydraulic was the large cylinder next to the rack and pinion gear track on the bottom of the slideout. Cylinder goes into the underbelly and before I start removing the insulating cover, I wondered who else had tried to fix one of these trailers. Steve
callicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
Johnnyfry

Slide out

Mine has a large cylindrical device next to the rack also. I believe that is a guide or stabilizer. The presence of the rack and pinion assembly definitely indicates that it is am electro -mechanical drive.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
DocData757

That's not necessarily true. Mine is hydraulic (of that I am sure because of the large hydraulic leak I had due to a blown cylinder seal) and each slide has two rack and pinion arrangements as well. The 2 gears are linked together by a rod so that they both turn together. I believe that is used to evenly transfer the movement of the slide (due to the cylinder pushing/pulling) to 2 points on the slide. This ensures the slide will move out parallel to the camper side and not get cocked. There is one cylinder per slide and it is attached to one of the rack and pinion rails.

BTW, my hydraulic cylinder are little more than 1" in diameter so the 'large cylinder' does not sound like a hydraulic cylinder.

You can confirm if you are hydraulic by looking for a shiney rod coming out of the frame and attached to the slideout. This is the hydraulic ram the moves in and out of the cylinder.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote