Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
alliejadon

issues with new,5th wheel

Does anyone have issues with workmanship in there 5th wheel. Shower door on crooked, boarder in kitchen on crooked, balance on crooked. Back of drawers wood split by screws. Let me know....thanks
alliejadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

alliejadon -
I would guess that many of us have had both "crooked and loose" issues in varying degrees in our units. I have had loose hinges and door handles that aren't aligned properly and others will testify about their workmanship (or lack of) issues. Many of the hinges are screwed into particle board which is notorious for its inability to hold screws. The solution? Place a toothpick into the hole, break it off to the right length, apply some glue and put the screw back in. Worked for me and I know this remedy has worked for others.

I think most of us have gone through the RV and carried out these simple but aggravating repairs ourselves wondering why the folks on the assembly line don't take more time and care with the units they build.

Unfortunately, it's just the way it is. I've found that there isn't much sense in getting uptight about it. I'd suggest trying to straighten those "crooked" items yourself knowing that your repair job is probably better than anyone else's.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejadon View Post
Taken our 5th wheel out twice now. I have noticed a few things that I missed when webought it. All can be fixed I think. Mostly cosmetic. Anyone else had the same thing happen?
As you get more familiar with your unit you are going to continue to find things that you did not notice on the initial walk through. I think the key thing is to document these and take pictures so they can be addressed under the warranty. We all would like to buy items that have no faults but the reality is they do not exist.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
denverpilot

I'm also learning it isn't worth getting uptight about. Plus, after you tow it for five years, everything inside will be crooked and new stuff will break. Welcome to RVing, grab the glue gun and some duct tape!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Broose0

Workmanship with any RV is poor with any brand but once in in a while you get a good one. I've had 2 roofs and various other issues. Now after 2 roofs they find out the black water tank isn't even attached to the pipe on the roof. How can that be. I go up on the roof and I can pull the pipe out by hand. Once your out of warranty your even screwed more. My rig is a 2013 Fusion 342 not even a year old.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
2014 Polaris Rzr 1000
Broose0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
alliejadon

Smile

Thanks everyone for your input. As to.e goes by these things will be less important. We really do love our rig and hope for many many years of enjoyment. We have only had it 2 weeks and u are right, I need to relax and enjoy. Thanks again.
alliejadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
I'm also learning it isn't worth getting uptight about. Plus, after you tow it for five years, everything inside will be crooked and new stuff will break. Welcome to RVing, grab the glue gun and some duct tape!
I actually do carry a glue gun and extra glue sticks in the RV and have done so for many years. It has come in handy numerous times..... from squeaks and creaks to loose moldings... lol
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

SOME TIMES THE BEST REPAIR SHOP IS IN YOUR OWN YARD!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote