Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
RottVille

Advice on possible delamination

I have been RV shopping for over a year, back and forth between new and used. This week I finally found a unit that has exactly what I need in floorplan and size, and it was for sale for a very good price. It is a 2009 Sprinter 25RB, and overall in very nice shape and has been well maintained.

Here is the problem - I noticed what looks like delamination on the front wall of the trailer. I spent an hour combing every possible spot inside and out for leaks or evidence of moisture, broken seals, etc. Nothing. Owner says it has never leaked, but the back wall bubbled up within the first year and was replaced under warranty. The front wall happened the next summer, and he was told it was out of warranty and did not pursue it. He is offering the balance of his dealer-purchased extended warranty, but I doubt that would cover it. I really love this trailer, and the price point is good considering. He lost the awning in a windstorm and I have costed having a new one put on.

He purchased new from a local dealer, and I talked to them and they said it is expensive to fix, but believe it to be cosmetic. I have seen more discussion indicating it is water damage, but some info says it can be a manufacturing problem with adhesive, pressure, etc. that can bubble up mostly from sitting in the sun.
Here are pictures of the front of the trailer - I would love opinions on this! I am deciding on whether to pick this one up tomorrow...I really want this unit, but don't want to buy a tragic problem - I can handle a cosmetic flaw in exchange for a great price. HELP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_web.jpg
Views:	2431
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front2_web.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1085  
RottVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
RottVille

One more thing

Rig does not have a ladder, so I will bring one with tomorrow and have a good look at the roof...anything specific I should look for that would not be an obvious issue?

TIA
Old 03-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
rjsurfer

What sticks out to me are those two front facing lights. They are notorious for leaking and take quite a beating facing ahead like that, I'm sure the wind can force a lot of water into them if not properly sealed.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
RottVille

I didn't notice the lights until I saw the picture on my computer (taken with my cell phone). Hard to tell for sure, but it almost looks like it comes down from the lights and settles across the front edge.

So would you touch this with a 10 foot pole? I have a lot of reasons to take this one today...cost, a trip I am leaving for on Thu, and this floorplan is no longer available.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
2011 keystone

This is just me thinking outloud, I would run away this looks like it could be a major problem
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
rjsurfer

The choice is up to you, I'm thinking you can repair the lights and if need be any roof leak you may find pretty easily, the big question is can you live with the look of the delamination on the front cap, something that will be very expensive to fix.

But if you play it smart try and get a better price, remember that will be an expensive repair and most people wouldn't want the delam as a permanent part of their front cap.....only you can decide.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

If it is fiberglass delamination, the separation and subsequent bubbling that you see could be caused by moisture penetration into the fiberglass layers from a leak somewhere, it is more than "cosmetic". If the delamination/bubbling has been caused by an improper layup at the factory, a bad mix of glue, or conditions within the factory - excessive moisture, etc., then it is more likely to be cosmetic. It will also be hard to say whether or not the delamination will continue or stay as is.
Not an easy decision to make but if it were mine to make, I'd be walking away. Firstly, it looks "crappy" and secondly, I'd always be thinking "leak". But if the price is such that you can't turn it down and you can live with its appearance ---- then you might want to consider it.

When you examining the roof, take a look at all the caulking around vents, etc., and make sure there are no cracks and that it looks to be well-sealed. Abrasions, rips, etc., in the rubber itself are things to look for of course. Check the seams where the front and rear cap join the roof -- these joints can often be troublesome and you shouldn't find any gaps or separations or unusually wide expanses of caulking which may have been applied to cover the gaps.
Let us know what you've decided.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
RottVille

I've basically crawled across every seam and surface inside and out, especially along the front wall - no evidence of moisture other than the surface of the front cap.

I can re-seal the lights, but would have to feel like this is a good enough deal to live with the look (or pop for the repair), knowing that I will have to get a really good price to not take a loss on this if/when I want to upgrade to a new unit. That is if I am convinced that will stop the cause, or that it is not moisture. He is advertising at the bottom of the retail blue book, I think it needs to come down lower. He has a loan to pay off so that might be his floor.

Is there ANY shot to having Keystone help with this? They should have records of having to replace the back wall inside the warranty. My guess is no, but maybe others have had better experiences. The dealer thought this was a $2-3K repair at a body shop (they replace the whole cap), and suggested that Keystone would respond better to an owner than to them asking about an out of warranty unit. Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
RottVille

I hate the look - I was all excited about this one (oh and I have looked at SO many now) and just deflated when I drove up and saw those wrinkles.

Is repair any kind of option? I feel bad for the owner, he bought a bad product and perhaps did not pitch a big enough fit in year two to get them to offer anything. Dealer thought that was worth a try...would the original owner have better luck than me, as a second owner? Any ideas on what the replacement of the front cap might cost?

Ack, this is a tough one.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

I'd be very, very surprised if Keystone were to come to your rescue on this one. It's long past warranty but worth a try --- you never know!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
RottVille

Just talked to the owner and got the dates. Purchased in Aug 2009, had the back wall done under warranty in Oct 2009...so Keystone should have records, and he has all the service orders.

Extended warranty was for 84 months, from Camping World - CW Care. I'll go over that carefully when I go back up today to get on the roof. He did not see any exclusions for de-lamination...but they might make the water excuse.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions...I'm leaning towards taking it at 3-4K off the book value, as the rest of the unit is like new. Doesn't have as many goodies as some (Sprinter Select was a value line), but price is hard to beat and if it doesn't actually affect structure or integrity of the unit, I will enjoy it just the same...it is the perfect floor plan for what I need, and they don't make them like this now.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
RottVille

So, anyone have experience with a Camping World Care extended warranty? That is what he purchased with the unit in late 2009. I can't find that exact title on the Camping World site.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
RottVille

So for any that are still interested, I bought the Sprinter 25RB yesterday. Went up on the roof and checked every seal on the thing, especially the front running lights and all around the front cap. Clean and tight. Looking at his service history, he also had the decals on the front replaced within a month, and the bubbles are all around those decals. They appeared over the 2nd winter in storage with with an adco cover over it...so I am convinced it is not moisture related. Here she is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09Sprinter25RB_med.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1087  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

Thanks for the update and I hope everything turns out well for you. As you said, the price was very attractive and if you are pleased with the way it looks and its condition, that's all that matters. Enjoy.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
RottVille

Of course now I am wondering if I should have shopped for a lighter unit - it was a big dog to pull home (brisk wind too)...my van has the specs to tow it, but disappointed with the difference.

My old TT was about 4900 empty, this is 5910 - surprised at the difference. Have a V10/3.73
Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

All this worrying is going to put wrinkles on your face to match your trailer. It's yours now ...... get out there and enjoy it. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #17
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottVille View Post
So, anyone have experience with a Camping World Care extended warranty? That is what he purchased with the unit in late 2009. I can't find that exact title on the Camping World site.
Check your GS warranty papers......under Exclusions. You will probably find that delamination is NOT covered.
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need Checklists?
adVentureMan is offline   Reply With Quote