Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
pmbeck

Television Problem - Interference

Hi I am wondering what would cause television signal to break up when using anything electrical in our new travel trailer. Retreat Model with television that came with the trailer.
pmbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Englishman

sound like electrical interference. Does this happen when using both dvd and antenna or just antenna? if it just when using the antenna then you may have a power cable that rapped around the coax.

try running the tv from a different power source thats not in the trailer via an extension cord. and also try an external antenna if you have one.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
pmbeck

Okay I can check that out for sure. I also noticed on television in the bedroom placed by myself does not hardly break up and also picks up a lot more channels than this one that came with the new trailer.
pmbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Englishman

lets us know if anything changes with each test.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
azlee56

I tried to get channels on the Sansui 1900 bedroom TV in our 08 Montana 3500RL (whew that was mouthful). BUT, I couldn't get many channels. This happened to our the living room tv, but then I learned about the booster button and they all came in fine. This TV is back at the booster button and only gets a few Spanish channels and says "digital signal low". The booster is on and this is just to get channels with the attenna, not cable or satellite.

Did the channel search with the booster on and off and it was the same stuff picked up. Takes it forever to scan them too.

Any suggestions?
azlee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Englishman

do you have a stand alone booster? Ie the type you can get for the old crt tv's. if you do try that it sound like the jack in the bedroom not connect to the booster.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
I tried to get channels on the Sansui 1900 bedroom TV in our 08 Montana 3500RL (whew that was mouthful). BUT, I couldn't get many channels. This happened to our the living room tv, but then I learned about the booster button and they all came in fine. This TV is back at the booster button and only gets a few Spanish channels and says "digital signal low". The booster is on and this is just to get channels with the attenna, not cable or satellite.

Did the channel search with the booster on and off and it was the same stuff picked up. Takes it forever to scan them too.

Any suggestions?
If you go to Antenna Point and enter your present location it will tell you what direction to aim your antenna. Most of the digital channels are on UHF and aiming is critical. Every time you move the antenna you must rescan for channels. Setting the tv to just scan OTA (AIR) channels will shorten the scan time. Hope this helps, Hank ............... Just sitting by a nice campfire at night requires no scanning. ..... I know, I like my tv too.

This does not help with the electrical interference but may help get more channels
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
azlee56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman View Post
do you have a stand alone booster? Ie the type you can get for the old crt tv's. if you do try that it sound like the jack in the bedroom not connect to the booster.

No, I have the booster that was installed in the fifth wheel (and a 12v jack). It is on. I checked the cable and it goes from the tv to the connector.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
azlee56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If you go to Antenna Point and enter your present location it will tell you what direction to aim your antenna. Most of the digital channels are on UHF and aiming is critical. Every time you move the antenna you must rescan for channels. Setting the tv to just scan OTA (AIR) channels will shorten the scan time. Hope this helps, Hank ............... Just sitting by a nice campfire at night requires no scanning. ..... I know, I like my tv too.

This does not help with the electrical interference but may help get more channels
I like that site, thanks. I can tell the direction to aim it but I sure wouldn't know how to do the concordinates without guessing. (I guess that is what they are called).

Yeah a fire is great and we do that most of the time, but we are going to be in a park and I was messing with the TV. Most of the time we will watch a movie with a generator running because we dry camp. Besides, this is new and I have to play with everything and figure it out and he says that it is fine with him. lol. He does it first then he will hand it to me. I will read and read and try this and try that, but this one had me scratching my head. If one TV can do it the other one should too. I think I will play with the attenna direction and see what it does.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
azlee56

OH and if NASCAR is on then I better find the channel!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Roberson4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
OH and if NASCAR is on then I better find the channel!
THIS is why tv is a must while camping.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
azlee56

LOL, I think I have the man spoiled, but hey I like it too.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberson4 View Post
THIS is why tv is a must while camping.
Do you think they will ever learn to make right turns ??????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Roberson4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Do you think they will ever learn to make right turns ??????
Someone tries a right turn every week. It never turns out good though.

Most of the time I end up watching it, thinking "Man I miss that 3 car!"

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote