Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2024, 04:18 PM   #1
Craig G

How Fast?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to camping in a full TT. We used to have a pop-up years ago when our kids were young.

My question is "How Fast" does everyone drive when towing your TT, whether bumper pulled or fifth wheel? A little under the speed limit, the speed limit or comfortably over it?

I understand that road conditions vary and play a big factor as does experience. I've towed our pop-up and a 24 foot food trailer (although weighing 10k), yet this last 200 mile trip to Pennsylvania towing our 2013 Keystone 2890RL with high winds made me "pucker" more than once. So I humbly traveled about 5 mph below the speed limit and in the outside lane.

Hoping to gather some wisdom here!

Thank y'all
Craig G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:32 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

How fast is highly subjective. Lots of factors will influence how fast I drive.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:58 PM   #3
Old Mustanger

Speed limit but no faster than 65MPH
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:01 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Speed limit but no faster than 65MPH
IIRC aren’t ST tires rated for 65 mph?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:17 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
IIRC aren’t ST tires rated for 65 mph?
My tires are ST and are “N” speed rated which is 87 mph.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:20 PM   #6
rhagfo

Well freeways65 to 70, although I favor 65 for fuel mileage. The better two lane state highways I will try to stay with the flow as long it isn’t crazy fast. Doing that is actually funny when coming to a passing lane. All those drivers feeling the big 5th wheel was slowing them down, and in truth it was the line of traffic in front of me!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:51 PM   #7
GlasNav

I have a friend in Michigan that is a full time trailer delivery driver, TT or 5er he tows the new units at 80 MPH.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:54 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Towing a 6,000 pound 31' travel trailer behind a 1 ton DRW truck at 65MPH on a "clear and uncrowded interstate" is significantly different than towing the same trailer behind a half ton truck under the same highway conditions which is SiGNIFICANTLY different than towing the same trailer behind a Explorer with a "tow package" on the same highway....

There's MUCH more than speed to consider. As an example,

If the highway is crowded and everyone else is driving 10 over, bumper to bumper, does that mean it's safe to pull that trailer with 3 kids in the back seat at 80MPH because that's the speed everyone is driving? Even with a 1 ton dually, I'd say that's pushing beyond reasonable speeds.

Then,

If the road is wet with a slight drizzle, but not raining hard enough to need the wipers on full time, with just a bit of gusting side winds and not much traffic, does that increase or decrease the "comfortable speed" ???

Then,

It's toward the end of a long day on the road, just about dusk, you should have been at the campground 2 hours ago, but because if traffic and road construction, you're late, tired, the kids are screaming in the back seat. Does that mean it's OK to "push it up to 5 over, to try to make up some time"? Does your stress level really go down when you're tires and the kids are screaming?

The speed limit is not the deciding factor. Your condition, road conditions, equipment condition, weather and the others on the road are major considerations in whether you can safely tow at or near the speed limit (maximum allowed speed) or whether slowing down enough to reduce your driving stress, stay within the emergency handling characteristics for the rig and keep those in the back seat safe, even though they don't have the benefit of those "dash air bags" that likely will keep you aliven in the front seat.

I'm not suggesting you are reckless or unsafe driving as you described, but if you consider that there's a significant difference between driving a Corvette or a Mustang GT at 5 over the speed limit and dragging 6,000 pounds of square box with 6,000 pounds of truck around those same curves is "more or less the same handling and performance conditions" ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:57 PM   #9
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Towing a 6,000 pound 31' travel trailer behind a 1 ton DRW truck at 65MPH on a "clear and uncrowded interstate" is significantly different than towing the same trailer behind a half ton truck under the same highway conditions which is SiGNIFICANTLY different than towing the same trailer behind a Explorer with a "tow package" on the same highway....

There's MUCH more than speed to consider. As an example,

If the highway is crowded and everyone else is driving 10 over, bumper to bumper, does that mean it's safe to pull that trailer with 3 kids in the back seat at 80MPH because that's the speed everyone is driving? Even with a 1 ton dually, I'd say that's pushing beyond reasonable speeds.

Then,

If the road is wet with a slight drizzle, but not raining hard enough to need the wipers on full time, with just a bit of gusting side winds and not much traffic, does that increase or decrease the "comfortable speed" ???

Then,

It's toward the end of a long day on the road, just about dusk, you should have been at the campground 2 hours ago, but because if traffic and road construction, you're late, tired, the kids are screaming in the back seat. Does that mean it's OK to "push it up to 5 over, to try to make up some time"? Does your stress level really go down when you're tires and the kids are screaming?

The speed limit is not the deciding factor. Your condition, road conditions, equipment condition, weather and the others on the road are major considerations in whether you can safely tow at or near the speed limit (maximum allowed speed) or whether slowing down enough to reduce your driving stress, stay within the emergency handling characteristics for the rig and keep those in the back seat safe, even though they don't have the benefit of those "dash air bags" that likely will keep you aliven in the front seat.

I'm not suggesting you are reckless or unsafe driving as you described, but if you consider that there's a significant difference between driving a Corvette or a Mustang GT at 5 over the speed limit and dragging 6,000 pounds of square box with 6,000 pounds of truck around those same curves is "more or less the same handling and performance conditions" ????
John: That's what is called situational awareness, and I fully endorse your assessment.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:10 PM   #10
LnS

if you are puckering, that's your instinct telling you to slow down. Different condition = different speed but instinct takes that all into account. Ever get surprised by how fast you actually are going on occasion with no pucker? Instinct didn't feel necessary to give you a squeeze. Of course if you fall asleep then all bets are off except, you gonna lose.
keeping up with the flow is nice but not necessary, I like to keep a little speed head room in reserve.
LnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:28 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
My tires are ST and are “N” speed rated which is 87 mph.
Been a while since I really paid attention to speed ratings. I’m not in a hurry, I leave early and have reservations so I know I’ll have a space when I get there.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:35 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

The question has no answer with the information provided.

What I could find on RV USA says that's a 7200lb. 33' trailer. What do you pull it with? Tow vehicle makes all the difference in the world...but there's a lot more. My general guidelines for driving are condition of the driver, condition of the road, condition of the vehicle, traffic, weather/light conditions etc. I rarely care about posted speed limits. The parameters above keep me at, near or below posted speed limits after a couple million miles.

No matter the tow vehicle I try to stay at 65mph or so. Things can go sideways really fast with a 10-15k trailer in tow when trying to stop fast or take evasive maneuvers...oh, there's no such thing with that trailer behind you.

More info on the tow combo would be in order - I've had a truck/trailer combo that I finally got to the point I wouldn't pull over 55mph (fixed that).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:43 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

For my particular situation I have found that 60-63 mph gives me the best mileage, and with only 240 HP under the hood, I don’t really care how long the line gets as I climb a hill. I will pull over at the top and let everybody continue on.

I have had some rude drivers and that’s what 153 Db train horns are for!!

Old 03-26-2024, 08:59 PM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
For my particular situation I have found that 60-63 mph gives me the best mileage, and with only 240 HP under the hood, I don’t really care how long the line gets as I climb a hill. I will pull over at the top and let everybody continue on.

I have had some rude drivers and that’s what 153 Db train horns are for!!
First to John's post about different situations, that is so true. My eariler response was in good conditions, two lanes 60 to 65, interstates 65 to 70, but likely 65 for best mileage.
To add to John's statement about light drizzle, one must be very careful if that drizzle comes after a several week dry spell, as oil droppings and slight dampness makes for a very slippery surface.
I will say that when traffic allows, I use my cruse control on both Interstates and better two lane state highways, otherwise I find my speed creeping up.

Chuck, in this day and age, your statement concerns me, holding up a line of traffic may really pi$$ off someone in that line.
I added a small chip to the old 2001 Ram 2500, maybe boosted HP about 40 hp, took stock 235 hp to maybe 275 hp, enough to climb hills at 55 to 60 mph pulling close to 13,000#.
In addition to your train horn, I have a set also, I would recommend a dash camera.

One needs to consider conditions also, the picture below was coming home from the Oregon Coast with a bit of a surprise snow storm. We were towing at about 45 mph, at one point State Police stopped traffic for a spun out car, on an up hill grade. With the 4X4 and manual trans, no issue getting going again, but the road was slick. Also notice the distance between us and the pack, that was by choice, not because they were driving faster. This was towing our 1986, King of the Road 28' 5th wheel.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:07 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Russ: my truck is an IDI, totally mechanical. When I bought it it was factory turbocharged with the infamous “smashed” downpipe, label on valve cover said 180 HP.

I spent the $$ for an upgraded turbine housing/ outlet housing and 3” downpipe. Then new exhaust from downpipe back, and “cowl” induction for better breathing. After talking to ATS, we figured I was at about 240 HP.

I’d love a newer truck, but in my neck of the woods a CC LB DRW diesel is out of my price range. As I stated, I do pull over when possible to allow people to pass me. In all my years of towing, I have found a majority of people understanding and tolerate of my slow climb.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:53 AM   #16
dutchmensport

Everyone one of us who tow a trailer, fifth wheel, pop-up, conventional travel trailer, or even a utility trailer, ... all of us travel at different speeds on the same roads under the same conditions. In the end, the final speed you select at any one time in your travels is YOUR choice.

As others stated above, you absolutely must take into account situational awareness, weather conditions, the actual road condition, and other traffic on the road.

But, here is something to consider: the faster you travel when towing, the more fuel you will use. There is a fine point where your vehicle's max efficiency occurs. You have to weigh the cost of that fuel efficiency vs. time.

On a short trip of 25 to 100 miles, a mile or two a gallon might not make much of a difference. But, on a longer trip of a few thousand miles, that one or two mpg can add to to quite a sum.

On the other hand, driving those thousands of miles can make a huge difference in the time it takes if traveling at 55 mph vs at 75 mph.

You may travel 55 mph and get 12 miles a gallon towing, but it may take you 20 hours of actual driving time. That's 1,100 miles driving. (That will translate to 91 and 1/2 gallons of fuel)

On the other hand, if you travel at 70 mph, it will take you only 15 and 3/4 hours, but your fuel mileage may drop to 9 miles per gallon for fuel. That's going to cost you 122 gallons of fuel.

The cost difference is 91.5 vs 122 gallons of fuel. At $3.00 a gallon, that difference is $274.5 vs $366 for the same trip at different speeds. Is the $91.50 worth the 5 hours longer it would take to drive at the slower speed? Or is the $91.50 worth the cost to arrive 5 hours earlier.

THIS is always my deciding factor. Actually, I always drive for maximum fuel efficiency when towing. That speed is 55 mph for my rig. At 55 mph I get around 10 mph. For every 5 miles faster, my mileage drops. At 70, I'm getting only 8.8 mph. The cost of diesel is just too much. When traveling I factor in my time at 50 mph, and this works out pretty well actually driving at 55. It averages 50 mph because of breaks, fuel stops and stops for the dogs to potty!

So think it through.... which is more important, speed or cost? Then only YOU can decide.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:27 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

I typically cruise between 63 to 65, occasionally hitting higher speeds to overtake or carry a little more momentum for a very steed grade. That being said, that's IF conditions support that decision. At 63 my rpm is around 1700 and that provides not only the best mpg but also the setup seems to ride/respond well. This is my experience with my rig, YMMV

With my experience being said I will make some general statements. Remember the tortoise �� and the hare story? In reality it applies. One common mistake folks make is justifying higher speeds by computing simple math. If I'm driving 200 miles @ 65 mph then it will take 3 hrs. If I drive @80 mph then it will take 2 1/2 hrs thereby saving 1/2 hrs! Well, that may be true IF you don't stop OR slow down for traffic. That rarely happens.unless your in a train

Admittedly I'm near 70yrs old and retired so I've gained a little patience. Last night. I was in Georgetown in D.C. taking the DW to the hospital. Going home around the notorious Capitol Beltway (I495) to I95 I start to notice a few cars passing me, or should I say, cutting me off. These 3 cars would passed like I was parked while I'm running at 65 mph WHEN I CAN. They would jump every lane and about 3 miles ahead traffic would slow to about 40 mph. There they were, about 6 cars ahead in the fast lane. The slow lane that I'm in moved ahead of them when things started moving again.

So a mile or so down the road I see in the mirrors these folks looking like the pinball in the arcade and blowing by at at least 80 (my guess) and currie folks off. Guess what, a few miles ahead another accordion type slow down and there they are, a few car lengths ahead. This revered several times over a 18 mile stretch of road. The point of this long post is to illustrate that high speed doesn't accomplish much if it isn't consistent.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:17 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's go back to the OP's first post in this thread. I'll highlight some things I believe are critical to any answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig G View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to camping in a full TT. We used to have a pop-up years ago when our kids were young.

My question is "How Fast" does everyone drive when towing your TT, whether bumper pulled or fifth wheel? A little under the speed limit, the speed limit or comfortably over it?

I understand that road conditions vary and play a big factor as does experience. I've towed our pop-up and a 24 foot food trailer (although weighing 10k), yet this last 200 mile trip to Pennsylvania towing our 2013 Keystone 2890RL with high winds made me "pucker" more than once. So I humbly traveled about 5 mph below the speed limit and in the outside lane.

Hoping to gather some wisdom here!

Thank y'all
Now, doing some reading of his previous posts, he joined the forum in January of this year (2 months ago) and posted this:

"As an adult with kids, we've had a pop-up camper, but this is the me and the wife's first travel trailer. We purchased a 2013 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 2890RL, which we will tow will my 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with the towing package and a weight distribution hitch."

Considering the context of his previous posts and this post, he recently bought his first travel trailer and he's new to towing a 2013 Passport 2890RL with a 2015 half ton truck. The trailer is 32'9" long with a 10' tall sidewall. It is 11 years old (but looks like new) with 11 year old mechanical parts. Empty weight is 5400 pounds and typical towing weight is in the 6000-7000 pound range. There is no information about the hitch (other than it's a W/D style) so no knowledge of any sway control with the hitch.

The truck is a 2015 Chevrolet 1500, no info other than that about the tow vehicle except that it is a 4x4 with a tow package. However, it's a 9 year old vehicle, likely with 9 year old technology and 9 year old mechanical components.

So, putting things into perspective, the question is closer to:

I have a 11 year old 33' trailer that weighs around 6500 pounds that was parked by the previous owner for an extended time, looks good, and I tow it with a 9 year old half ton truck and a weight distribution hitch. Last trip, "high winds made me pucker more than once" so I slowed down to 5 miles under the speed limit. Hoping to gather some wisdom here.....

So, the "response might be" :

In your situation and with your equipment, I might consider ________.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:11 AM   #19
Camping family

Myself I feel save at 55 or 60. I am not in a hurry have no -pace to be at a certain time. Always have reserved site so when I get there I. Get there
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:27 PM   #20
pawpaw

I always drive per road conditions. In a 70mph zones I'll usually run 60-62mph if conditions are OK. Rain..wind..snow or icy conditions use good judgment and pull over if necessary. I ran semi trucks when the speed limit was 55mph and we had tachographs in the trucks that charted everything you did while on your driving shift. Always check tires before leaving on a trip and at every stop if possible. Wife and I downsized to a smaller camper and tow vehicle so I travel slower then when we had a fifth wheel and dually but only by 2 or 3 mph.