Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
Azdryheat

I bought a DTV dish and tripod kit from Amazon. It came with a compass and signal meter. I use the DTV box from home. A few locations we had trees and mountains in the way that blocked the signal but we really enjoy getting DTV on the road.

2008 Everest 305T
2009 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
kenn209

We re-signed up after being gone for about 1 1/2 years. I still had the old dish. Took it off the post the day before the installer got here. He put a new on the pole. I showed him the older dish, He said it would work fine. We take the box from the Master Bedroom in the house. First time took a few minutes to aim it. But was great once we did. I run the cable up through the back window into the living room. Need to put in a plug through the slide or something.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #23
Azdryheat

I bought a Directv dish/tripod from Amazon and use the Directv box from our home. Go to [setup] on the DTV menu and input the zipcode where you're at and it will tell you the compass heading to point the dish and how much to tilt give it.

The kit came with a crude compass and a signal strength meter. I position the dish/tripod in the general direction of the satellite. The satellite coax plugs into the [satellite prep] on the outside of the trailer. I have the DTV receiver hooked up and turned on and the signal strength meter attaches to the coax inline between the receiver and the dish. From trial and much error I found to run the coax from the satellite 'in' on the receiver box to the top coax outlet of the dual coax outlet plate with the u-shaped coax. The TV coax plugs into the 'out'.

From trial and error I've learned to point the dish based on the compass heading and then tilt it till I get a tone on the signal meter. Basically I start out in the general direction of the satellite and use the tone to fine tune the signal. I can get it set up and running in about 15 minutes.

2008 Everest 305T
2009 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote