Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
gepaine

All-Steel Belted Trailer Tires ??

The latest issue of Trailer Life has a letter-to-the-editor in which someone is recommending use of "all-steel" belted tires to avoid blowouts. The writer says other types of tires only have steel in the tread, and there is less chance of having a blowout with an "all-steel" tire. I couldn't find out anything about this with a web search. Does anyone know what the writer is talking about?

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
smiller

Most consumer tires (including most used on RV trailers) utilize synthetic materials (rayon, nylon, polyester, etc.) in the sidewall belts. This is true even if steel belts are used in the tread area. Some commercial tires (such as the Michelin XPS rib) also utilize steel belts in the sidewall carcass making them somewhat stronger in that area. One generally would consider that superior construction and I suppose the feature might provide (at least theoretically) 'less chance' of a blowout, although if the tire is otherwise well-designed and constructed it's pretty hard to say whether or not having an all-steel carcass could really be considered a weakness. The main issue is whether a given tire model has a habit of going to its normal end-of-life (age or tread wear) without incident, and if it does then the design is obviously adequate irrespective of construction details. IOW all-steel construction is usually considered a desirable trait but it's also just one of many factors to consider as there is no single item that determines a tire design's reliability.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Alpinecummin

Good answer and accurate. I put Michelin XPS on my fiver last July, and have been very pleased with them. I haven't notice any difference in the ride inside the truck, but I have noticed things in the fiver have a tendency to move around more. So the camper is riding harder, I just don't feel it in the truck.

A benefit of steel belted sidewalls is they are less likely to be damaged when rubbing or hitting curb. One big disadvatage is if you have a blow out a lot more damage will be done to your camper!

1977 Avon
2003 Jayco Designer 32FKS
2011 Alpine 3640RL
2007 Dodge 3500
Alpinecummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
RVUSA

The tires I had on the class A had steel in the sidewalls and not in the tread. I think they are all like that for the A's.
RVUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinecummin View Post
Good answer and accurate. I put Michelin XPS on my fiver last July, and have been very pleased with them. I haven't notice any difference in the ride inside the truck, but I have noticed things in the fiver have a tendency to move around more. So the camper is riding harder, I just don't feel it in the truck.

A benefit of steel belted sidewalls is they are less likely to be damaged when rubbing or hitting curb. One big disadvatage is if you have a blow out a lot more damage will be done to your camper!
Did you have the tires balanced? I just installed a set this May on my 5er and I thought the items in the camper road better than before. I did have the Michelins Ribs balanced. Since the tires from Keystone that were on the trailer were not balanced. The items seem to bounce around more and drawers would open sometimes.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote