Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
bigracenut

Grey tank overflow??

I just purchased a 2013 Sprinter 331. On the maiden voyage, we noticed that the grey tank, when full and ready to dump, ( i let it fill to flush my hose after draining the black tank), when i went to dump the grey tank, water was running out of a hole in the center of the underbelly cover. Its a hole that looks like it had been punched into it right in the dead center of the camper, in the "swag" of the underbelly cover. I had noticed the hole when i got it home and was inspecting the underside and wondered why a hole would be there. I have never heard of a grey tank overflow. I purposely let it fill to full again to see, and it drained out the hole again. I am wondering what I'll see when i let the dealer drop the underbelly cover to inspect, or is this a new "overflow feature" that Keystone has put in? Nothing in the manuals mentions it.

Any ideas or thoughts before the Saturday trip to CW?
bigracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
f6bits

Tanks should never “overflow” to the outside. They should back up into your tub (or toilet). When my grey tank is full, the tub backs up.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

It sounds to me as if either the inlet or vent is not attached properly to the tank. An overflow as you mention would violate waste water dumping laws and is highly unlikely. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
j0hnburks

The grey water tank on our Outback has been leaking for a while. It has been at the dealer for the last three weeks. They finally got to it and Keystone is replacing the tank under warranty. I wonder how many more Keystone owners have this leaking problem? It sounds like a bad tank design.
H&S Mini-Maxx, S&B Air Box, Sinister EGR delete, 4" turbo back EPF/CAT delete
50 gallon TransferFlow inbed fuel tank
j0hnburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
f6bits

What part of the tank was it leaking from?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
It sounds to me as if either the inlet or vent is not attached properly to the tank. An overflow as you mention would violate waste water dumping laws and is highly unlikely. JM2˘, Hank
Tend to agree with this.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
SteveC7010

Gray (or black) holding tanks are not supposed to overflow. If they do, it is a sign of a serious problem. They are fairly simple devices however, so it is almost always a disconnected or broken vent pipe connection, or the inlet is partially disconnected or broken, or the tank itself is ruptured.

It is also possible that the drain connection is damaged. However, if that were the case, you'd have a constant leak of gray water until the tank is completely empty. Add any gray water and it would run right out of the leak.

If you know the tank is completely empty, it is possible to figure out how high up on the tank the leak is located. If it holds any small amount of liquid without leaking, you can rule out the drain.

If it leaks when only partially filled, it may be a rupture or leaking sensor.

If you have to fill the tank completely full before it leaks, that would suggest that either the inlet or the vent is the culprit.

It is also possible that the drain line is leaking.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
bigracenut

After a trip to my CW dealer, it was found that the grey tank is cracked near the top of the tank. Not sure why the factory would have "poked" a hole in the underbelly to let the grey water drain if they had not known the tank had a problem. Now, my 3 week old camper can only be used with sewer hook ups.... waiting for the 6 to 8 week delivery on the new tank. This new 2013 Sprinter has had more than its share of bugs this early.
bigracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Seamore43

Angry I think i have the same problem

We just got our 2001 Keystone Laredo home and took it out this weekend. After returning home, I noticed that the bottom of the back of the trailer is hanging down and all wet. When I got up there to fix it, there is some kind of tank and a hose poked out of a "hole" on the underbelly. There is a tank connected to this hose, and the insulation is all wet. Called the dealer and they told me to just get some self-tapping screws and put it back up. lol Don't think so! Now, I'm hoping no critters crawl up there before the dealer can look at it at my expense. Anyone know if that is the gray water tank below the couch in the 25RL in back? We are new at this and bought this used from Holiday World.
Seamore43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamore43 View Post
We just got our 2001 Keystone Laredo home and took it out this weekend. After returning home, I noticed that the bottom of the back of the trailer is hanging down and all wet. When I got up there to fix it, there is some kind of tank and a hose poked out of a "hole" on the underbelly. There is a tank connected to this hose, and the insulation is all wet. Called the dealer and they told me to just get some self-tapping screws and put it back up. lol Don't think so! Now, I'm hoping no critters crawl up there before the dealer can look at it at my expense. Anyone know if that is the gray water tank below the couch in the 25RL in back? We are new at this and bought this used from Holiday World.
If it has a hose with a cap coming out of it it is your freshwater holding tank. Remove the cap to drain the tank. Your problem may be just a loose clamp or fitting. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Seamore43

Hi Hank, abd yes, I did drain it yesterday. I'm going to fill it up again today and see if I can see where it is leaking, then drain it quickly. Thanks for the information!
Seamore43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
eanddrice

I just found this problem yesterday on 2-Nu-Us 2007 Passport. When I came down my driveway with the camper nose down, I noticed water came out from under the camper. Come to find out, there is water in the underbelly. Now I have to get under there and cut an opening, so I can find out where the water is coming from
eanddrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
eanddrice

I think I found the source of my leak, and it wasn't the holding tanks but the rain pouring into gaps in the underbelly cover across the back of the trailer. A water hose is going to tell me tonight!!
eanddrice is offline   Reply With Quote