Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
BlindGuyNAR

Converted table to bike mount

WHAT!!!! Stay with me. Needed a spot to carry bikes until I get around to getting a hitch welded onto frame and no bumper mounted hitch for me. The table is still a table.

The seats for the table flip up to access storage areas. So I put bike fork mounts and some hook mounts to the underside.

During travel I flip seats them over mount 3 bikes by removing front wheel and placing bike fork in mount and use bungies to secure back tires to hooks.

My bikes have quick disconnect front wheel hubs so tire removal is just a matter of seconds.

Get there dismount bikes, flip seats, and setup table. Bikes are protected inside coach (I have very expensive road and time trail bikes) during travel.

Funny cycling video that helps define the sport and cost of bikes.
http://youtu.be/47cGzu6-q40 (Warning -- some bad language)

You'll want to ensure bikes are clean before putting them in coach.

Fork mounts are from Ebay ~$8 each, hooks were in the towing section at lowes ~$1.50 each (hey are for a boat dock line), and ~$8 (nuts, screws, washers, bolts, etc)

Hopefully it makes sense on how they mount. Two one way and one the opposite direction.

I'll post a bike mounted later, but it is to cooollllllld right now to get the bike out and into the coach.

Ready to mount

Flipped over ready for padded cushions. Out of sight and mind when not being used!
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
DK Henry

Thumbs up

GREAT MODIFICATION!! I had the same problem findind a place to transport my bikes. Best inside storage I have seen.
DK Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
TomHaycraft

Fantastic idea! Bought my trailer last August, have had it out at least once a month since then, on each trip I've tried to figure out how to bring my bikes with me. Hadn't occurred to me to make use of the dinette space in such a way.

Would be easier / cheaper than moving the trailer's spare tire under the frame and adding a receiver hitch.

Do you find the boards "walk" any with the weight of the bikes and trailer movement?

Oh, and the video? That one makes me laugh every time I see it. Especially the girl in it. And yes, I consider myself a "cyclist!"

Thanks
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
SlowPoke

Dude, that is truly epic!

IOW...Very good use of space, and ingenious use of as table...who eats there while traveling anyway, right?

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote