Keystone RV Forums

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Trailers > Modifications and Upgrades

Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

As ktmracer pointed out, your choice of amp rating depends upon your RV's electrical system, its components and their current draws. If you have a simple, basic system with no "add ons", I would suggest installing something in the neighborhood of 100-125A. With higher demands, you should be considering 275-325A and there are several marine-type switches such as Perko, Blue Sea and others that are available.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Any Perko or Blue Sea switch you get is going to be heavy enough. They're made for the marine industry and that covers handling starters for gas and diesel engines as well as power distribution systems.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollockd View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to install a battery disconnect switch on my Laredo 291TG. What brand are you using? Thanks.
On my Laredo I used one similar to this from Canadian Tire. 325 amp. Mounted it on top of my battery box.

http://toolmonger.com/2008/07/07/bat...onnect-switch/
Old 06-05-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
Hi Pollockd,
Just want to throw in a word of caution about installing a battery cutoff switch. If you install the switch and forget to set it to the ON position before towing your trailer and (here's the 1:1000000 chance) your trailer somehow uncouples from your truck while you are driving down the highway, the safety brakes will not activate.

Would this stop me from installing a battery cutoff switch...no way! But always remember to set it to the ON position before towing the trailer. Sometimes Stuff does happen!
It should be direct wired to the battery. It does you no good if you do forget to turn the battery switch on.