Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Would you buy another Keystone RV?
Yes 325 90.78%
No 33 9.22%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Post Keystone...Would you buy from them again?

We have many visitors come here to see what we all think of our Keystone RVs. I thought I'd make it easy for them. I've added a poll to this post ( I think it is above this text at the top of the posting ), would you buy another Keystone product? I think that is succinct enough. Please click on a selection and let's find out what the consensus is.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Txoutback

Considering mine is only 1 week old and has not left the driveway I will delay responding to this for about three months. Is this a timed pole?

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Jim W

Yes, I would. By the way I would never contact Keystone customer service. I believe and always have that you need to work through the dealer for service issues and warranty. To me finding a good dealer is more important than the lowest price. The dealer will go to bat for you on warranty issues.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txoutback View Post
Considering mine is only 1 week old and has not left the driveway I will delay responding to this for about three months. Is this a timed pole?
Nope not timed. Vote at anytime.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Four years, over 10,000 mi., many good memories and very few problems. Maybe you guessed I voted yes. I think we will find this to be the norm, especially with experienced RVers who have owned other brands. Like many have said before it comes down to the most "Bang for the buck". A good dealer, constant inspection, periodic maintenance and common sense play a major part in how happy we are with our trailers. (Not necessarily in that order) Always willing to offer my 2¢ , Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
ktmracer

absolutely. floor plan fit us perfectly, After a 4 hour PDI inspection we found two very minor cosmetic issues the dealer fixed while we went to lunch. Trailer has been troublefree for the year we have had it (I know that's not very long). Traveled almost 5K miles, 30+ days camping. I'd like to know how well the dealer handles warranty issues, but I haven't found anything to take it back for. Impressed with the layout and storage. Seems like at least the Outback designers actually camp in the trailers and know what many folks want/need.

This year we have about 90 + camping days planned and probably 10K+ miles. We'll see how this year turns out! 30 camping days between June1 and July 30th alone!

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

We have been camping for over 40 years, owned everything from pop up campers to VW Campmobiles, big ones, small ones, expensive ones and entry level (cheap) ones. Our current 5th wheel, a Springdale, is Keystone's entry level fiver. We bought it new for about $10,000 less than the competetion from other manufacturers. Only had one problem with it, the referigerator cooling unit. Now, there's no way to blame Keystone for that, and our dealer, Camping World of Houghton Lake, had us back on the road 3 days after we took it in with a new cooling unit installed which was overnighted from Dometic. I've never had service like that from any other manufacturer. So, yes, we're happy, and we'd buy another Keystone. We've had some minor issues, but we also had minor issues with our new truck, our new home, our new patio furniture.... You get the idea.... If you want it perfect, either buy the most expensive (and hope you get perfection) and that's not a sure bet, or be prepared to tweek and polish to attain perfection.

As for our Springdale, it serves us well, was a very good buy, provides many upscale features that would cost much MUCH more than we paid in any other RV of comparable size and quality.

This might sound like an ad for Keystone, but I think, at least in our situation, we got more than we paid for with our RV. We're happy, and have no regrets. Sure, there's bigger and there's more luxurious, but I really don't think there's many that are better.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
mrxlh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.Bikes.Dogs View Post
We have many visitors come here to see what we all think of our Keystone RVs. I thought I'd make it easy for them. I've added a poll to this post ( I think it is above this text at the top of the posting ), would you buy another Keystone product? I think that is succinct enough. Please click on a selection and let's find out what the consensus is.
Good Idea Kent.

I would absolutly buy a Keystone product again. Not that mine didn't have some issues, however they were very small, and were all taken care of.

Everything that is posted on all these RV sites about additional PDI lists, tires and what to look for, shakedown runs before peak RVing season, ect ect would eliminate about 90% of most complaints. The other 10% would be eliminated if by nature we were not so cheap and lazy. I researched for 3 years before purchasing my Raptor 4014LEV, I found several who purchased the same model and now pm them from time to time to see what they have had issues with ect and they do the same. Getting a great deal on the purchase price from a dealer 300 miles away, and then expecting your local dealer to take care of everything like you purchased it from them is a tad unrealistic.

A RV is an investment, and a very poor one from a financial standpoint. Therefore like a risky stock market investment, it needs to be paid attention to or it will consume you. Especially people who procrastinate and think 2 days before the 1 year warranty is up their list of 65 things will be fixed in less than a week, often during peek camping season. If they missed something and the next trip out they notice it and bring it in to the dealer and the dealer refuses to fix under warranty, they come here and tell of how sorry Keystone and their warranty is.

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES
mrxlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
ftwildernessguy

So right now we're hitting over 90 % satisfaction rate. Bet Obama wishes he could hit those numbers.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Cool

HE HE !!! Doesnt every politician !!!!! Of course like RV manufacturers, no politician can please all the people all the time. My question is: Why can't they please me more often??? <smirk>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
GMcKenzie

Voted Yes.

Two issues with our trailer, first was the slide mechanics grabbed the heating duct and got stuck. Fixed before our first outing under warranty. Second was the brake on one side were misadjusted making the other side do all the work.

Day 2 of a 16 day trip through the US so hopefully nothing goes wrong so far from home. But we really like our Cougar. Same as others, we've owned pop-ups, campers and trailers and this one is built fine. Plus we love the layout and the size of the rear kitchen.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
cnbhand

Probably not. I travel at least 5K miles a year with our 5th wheel Cougar. The problem with most if not all models is the weak frame and suspension. Prior to the Cougar I owned a Laredo 2001, I broke the left rear spring from the frame on 2 separate occasions. It was in my opinion a design flaw, too much weight for the weak frame to support. Had there been gussets it may have held. The cougar, 2009 model has a suspension system that is way too weak for the weight. This 5th wheel has less than 8K miles on it and all the bushings are wore through. I recently replaced all shackles, bushings, equalizers, and bolts with a Dexter EZ Flex system. While replacing the bushings I found 2 holes that never had bushings installed. I also had a screw which holds the plywood floor to the joist back out right through the linoleum. The water pump for what ever reason has begun discharging water through the city water intake when using the on board water system. I rarely use hookups so I have temporarily capped the city water pipe at the pump. The slide mechanism is so weak Keystone has stated never to walk, sit, or use the slide area unless the slide is extended. This in my opinion is due to the lack of sufficient number of rollers. The bottom line is, if you are a casual camper, take the thing 10 miles down the road and set up, you will probably do OK. If you plan on extended trips be aware of the weak frames which tend to flex and the pitiful bushings and shackles.
cnbhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
gmohr

We would definitely buy another one. Our 318SAB is the perfect floor plan. We
have had NO problems other that a propane cut over switch fail. Replaced it
and it just keeps on trucking. We have over 30k miles on the original tires. We
keep them covered and properly inflated. Will finally replace them this year with
16"ers. The other small problems have all be due to operator error.
09 318SAB, 06 Ford F350 4WD, LWB, CC, Dually

gmohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
jramsey

The wife and I are on an extended trip through Oregon right now and are having a Great time. We love our Cougar 5ver and have had no major problems with it, as a matter of fact it has been very comfortable. The only problem that I have is I don't want to go home!

Fir Na Tine
Ora et labora
2011 Cougar high country 299 RKS
2014 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 L Duramax
jramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
therink

I voted yes. I am on my fifth rv and first Keystone. I had a few warranty issues that took forever to fix. This is due to the incompetentcy of my local Camping World. I wont go into details but everything was taken care of once I contacted Keystone and took the matter into my own hands.
I have also made numerous mods/improvements where needed to various things to prevent issues down the road.
People love to rant on how terrible Keystones are, but I have also read other forums (Jayco, FR, etc.). The issues are ni different on those brands.
As mentioned previously, RV's in general are poor investments to begin with and are even worse for those who don't properly maintain their rigs and then complain when things fall apart, leak, etc. and then don't understand why the manufacturer wont pay for repairs when beyond warranty period.
We love everything about our Outback. The only thing I would have done different is not settled for the Chinese load range D tires that came stock. Since I bought mine, Keystone now offers 16" load range E's as standard on my model. Live and learn.
Taking off tomorrow for two weeks. Can't wait to hit the road.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
jq1031

OOOOO I'm a big yes!!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Lots of comments about RV's being a "money hole" and expensive to repair if not maintained properly. I remember a boating friend's analogy of big boats:

"There are only 2 happy days in a yacht owner's life, the day he buys a new boat and the day he gets rid of it."

I think we are more fortunate with our RV's. We seem to have numerous "happy days" so I suppose that puts us ahead of the curve when it comes to being satisfied with our trailers. DW and I leave again tomorrow for a week long camping trip with the extended family and several RV's (probably 40 people total). Then home for a few days and back to the UP for more fishing. Keystone helps make this possible and I'd buy another one, but am satisfied with the one I now have...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #18
Txoutback

I say yes but I would not rule out looking at other manufacturers before the next sale to keep my options open for the best model for us at the time. We were looking for the largest unit my F-150 could handle safely with a nice aesthetic interior and I think we found it. I recently swapped from K-Z to Keystone and didn't have many issues with the K-Z but we liked the Outback 277RL floorplan and it was priced better and lighter to similar models of other manufacturers. We are quite pleased. As far as quality, I think it's a crap shoot at this time. With the cheaper/lighter comes a price. You get what you pay for sometimes but rarely get more.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
dea3851

Like my cougar

Hi we love are Cougar 2010 318SAB ,like others have had tents,popups, tt, and now the fifth wheel, spent 9 days last fall in michigans up,everything worked great and unit pulled great, have a f250 with a V10, Don from LUDINGTON MICHIGAN.
dea3851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:47 AM   #20
AlCherry

We had been looking for a replacment for our Thor, and studied preowned RV's for the best part of a year. Our search kept coming back to Keystone, and yesterday we got ours. Though it is 5 years old, the price was very right, and the condition was near perfect. The wife and I spent the whole day yesterday going from front to rear TRYING to find a problem. None there. That says alot for the quality of the workmanship. I'm sure there will be issues down the road, but we'll deal with it then.
06 Harley Sportster (Frankenstein) Trike (wife)
07 Harley FLHTC (mine)
4cam promod dragbike
SFC (ret) US Army
AlCherry is offline   Reply With Quote