Keystone RV Forums

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues

Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM

Cool Peeling Decals - Montana

I have a 2005 3650 Montana, and the decals are peeling off pretty bad. I store it outside in an RV storage lot. There's a couple of other 05 Montanas stored there as well. Their decals look like new. I take very good care of my unit. I do wash it, at least once a year. I use the RV wash & wax that you can pick up at Wal-Mart. And that product states that it is safe to use on decals. I do not pressure wash at all. So why are the decals peeling off? Buying a new set is just about $1200.00. To have the peeling decals removed and the new ones installed is another $1500.00 to $2000.00 dollars. As for painting the graphics on...that will be very expensive. I already asked someone and was shocked. As I look around at other brands, Forestriver, Fleetwood, just to name a few I really don't see a problem with their decals. I really like my unit, for being six years old, everything on it works very well. I haven't had any problems. Knock on wood. Here in the first part of October I'm pulling my Montana out to Keystone RV and let them see how bad it really is. I don't want any money from them, I just want my Montana fixed.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Peeling decals seemed to be a problem with certain Keystone RV's built around that time. If I am not mistaken, Keystone did switch to another brand of decals and the problem of peeling decals seemed to have lessened considerably.
I wish you well in your dealings with Keystone and hope that you can get your decals removed and replaced at minimum or no cost to you.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

A number of owners here have reported very similar problems with decals on their Keystone products. Some report that Keystone sent them decals but they had to provide their own labor to remove/install them. Others report that Keystone refused to help, still others report that Keystone hasn't even answered their letters/phone calls.

What's the difference in these responses? Probably more than luck is involved.

ME THINKS that maybe you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Good luck when you get to the Keystone plant. Have you arranged an appointment or are you just going to show up?

2013 F250 FX4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Previous RV's
1971 VW Campmobile
1972 Dodge Camper 7500/Harvest Cabover Camper
1968 Airstream 26' TT
1972 Jayco Jayraven 20' TT
1966 Apache Tent Camper
1978 Dodge SuperCab/Real Lite Cabover Camper
1993 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel/34' Alumalite TT
1999 Ford SD F250 7.3L TF Diesel
1994 33' Seabreeze Motorhome
2005 Ford Ranger FX4/Sunlite Skyhawk Popup Camper
2010 Ford F150 FX4/Springdale 242FWRLSS
Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Default I feel your pain

Decals on my 2007 Fuzion in terrible shape, Keystone says warranty period was just one year. So I have been removing the decals and residual adhesive myself, using a 3-M stripe remover wheel first (attaches to standard drill) and then wiping area down with lacquer thinner (NOT paint thinner). It is a pretty slow process but a couple hours here and there and you'll be done. I actually like the cleaner look of fewer decals. No way I'm going to buy replacements unless they can guarantee they won't peel if properly cared for. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 AM

All the decals on our 07' fiver were fine until about 9 months ago, then the front one (that hits the wind......so to speak) started peeling a little around the edges.

The DH decided to take it off and so it is gone. I have no intention of replacing it as it doesn't matter to me if it is there or not.

Maybe the next owner will want one there .........

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A number of owners here have reported very similar problems with decals on their Keystone products. Some report that Keystone sent them decals but they had to provide their own labor to remove/install them. Others report that Keystone refused to help, still others report that Keystone hasn't even answered their letters/phone calls.

What's the difference in these responses? Probably more than luck is involved.

ME THINKS that maybe you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Good luck when you get to the Keystone plant. Have you arranged an appointment or are you just going to show up?
No I don't have an appointment, I'm just going to show up. Plead my case. Like I said, I'm not interested in the money, I just want my unit fixed to look nice again. It's so bad that it's really imbarasing to pull it down the road.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

I havent heard of anyone getting Keystone to replace decals at the factory on a unit that far out of warranty. Maybe you'll be the first, but it might help to call ahead and get an appointment just so you have a "slot" to plead your case. With no appointment, you very well may be told that there's no availability to help you..... It's my understanding (someone correct me if I'm off base here) that the factory proper doesn't do any repair work but they have a contracted service center in another part of town that they pay to do the repair work for them.

Also, there are some Keystone decals available on Ebay. You might find some that would work on your trailer (assuming Keystone says NO to you) From what I've seen, the Ebay decals are fairly inexpensive, but that solution leaves you doing the work.

You say you're not interested in getting money from Keystone, but you are asking them to spend money to repair your 6 year old RV. They may, if you're lucky, offer to give you the decals that are damaged, but I wouldnt expect them to do any repairs unless you agree to pay for the work. I'd suspect that the labor rate at the factory is at least as much as your local dealer, maybe even more, so it might not be the bargain you are looking for.

Again, good luck, but don't get your hopes up too high that Keystone will take your trailer in and reapply the decals and send you on your way. It probably won't happen that way.

2013 F250 FX4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Previous RV's
1971 VW Campmobile
1972 Dodge Camper 7500/Harvest Cabover Camper
1968 Airstream 26' TT
1972 Jayco Jayraven 20' TT
1966 Apache Tent Camper
1978 Dodge SuperCab/Real Lite Cabover Camper
1993 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel/34' Alumalite TT
1999 Ford SD F250 7.3L TF Diesel
1994 33' Seabreeze Motorhome
2005 Ford Ranger FX4/Sunlite Skyhawk Popup Camper
2010 Ford F150 FX4/Springdale 242FWRLSS

Last edited by JRTJH; 09-27-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:37 AM

Default Same issue

With my 2008 Montana, thankfully I caught it before warranty expired and dealer fixed. He mentioned that they had problems with decals and switched vendors. I agree with you, I would show up there and plead my case. At the very least they need to see it.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Default Replacement Decals

I purchased a used 2008 Montana in 2011 that had the decals peeling from the slide side. The dealer worked with us and after I contacted Keystone, we sent them pictures and they sent us a complete set of decals, free. Of course since the unit is out of warranty, it is up to us to remove and replace. I removed them and will be paying to have the new ones installed.

Last edited by Railcop345; 03-12-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Wrong info.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 AM

Some of the decals on my 2005 Zepplin are in poor shape too. I'm going to attempt to remove and replace one or two them myself this year.

Keystone no longer sells replacement decals for my model... no point of begging keystone for new stickers when they don't even have any.