Keystone RV Forums

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Trailers > Travel Trailers

Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM

Default Electric Awning & Lights

We will soon be picking up our new Springdale with an electric awning. Can you put a tie down on it and can you hang party lights off it with the kind of canvas hangers and s hooks that feed into the traditional awning roller?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevandNorm View Post
We will soon be picking up our new Springdale with an electric awning. Can you put a tie down on it and can you hang party lights off it with the kind of canvas hangers and s hooks that feed into the traditional awning roller?
Unlike conventional awnings, there are no posts from the ends of the rollers to the ground. Tie downs are only effective on awnings with the posts. If you tied down the roller ends without posts, a gust of wind would still damage the arms as they are differently configured from what we all are used to.

The electric awning really needs to be rolled up if the wind kicks up. Same when you go away for the day.

If the adjustment knobs are loosened, the electric awning should self dump if there is any ponding in the rain. If they are tightened without setting the awning to rain position, you are pretty much guaranteed that the fabric will tear away.

The roller on ours has the traditional 3rd groove that will take the hangers for party lights.

Without the posts, the awning probably is not strong enough for hanging plants. I suspect that Patio-Rooms can not be hung off them either.

One final point. On our trailer, the awning is very high off the ground, even when fully extended and in its lowest position. I am 6'2" and can not reach the roller without my trusty little step ladder. So even though the extra slot is there, I suspect hanging party lights in the traditional way may become a thing of the past.

'11 Cougar 326MKS
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Dispatcher II Rochester-Monroe County (NY) 911 Center 1976 to 2003.
Now retired, busier than ever, and loving every minute of it!

The search function is your friend. Much of what you seek is already here for the reading.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:55 AM

BevandNorm

I have a fluorescent drop light that I attached to a couple of the plastic hangers. I stand on the entrance steps and pull the awning down on that side and lock the arm. Slide the light into the tracks, lay the cord in the awning arm and plug into my photo cell timer. Then release the awning arm back to its normal position. If the wind comes I slide the light out and roll up the awning.

I have also been looking at a screened in room made by Carefree (Vacation'r) that will fit the Dometic electric awning.

Scott

Fulltimer
2011 Cougar 326MKS
1997 F250 Reg. Cab. 7.3L
Old 09-30-2011, 06:07 AM

Default tie downs

i have a 2011 outback sydney 325fre and i use tie downs to hold it in place, never had a problem with the wind as i live in lousisana. i do roll it up if the wind does get to strong or heavy rains. the lights will work in the tube slot, but a stool might be needed.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 PM

Thanks for your input. Guess I might not be able to use the new party lights my husband bought me!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Don't fret. You can still party --- but in the dark.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:16 AM

Now that's FUNNY Festus2!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:39 PM

I installed some led ribbon lights to the bottom of the rail that holds the awning to the camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED Awning lights.jpg (37.2 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by dunnnc; 10-31-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:50 AM

I have a 299 BHS with elec awning, I add lights to the track all the time. If it looks like it will be windy I take them down and roll awning in. I did tie my awning down a couple times with ratchet straps and tent stacks in the ground it worked well. I was thinking of adding a loop or eye bolt to the end of awning to secure the strap
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevandNorm View Post
I use the aluminum telescoping poles I made and hang the sun screen to the awning tube. The poles are self storing and support the tube and take all the load off the flimsy adjustable arms. I don't even tighten the arms, but leave them loose. They never move in the wind.