Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
cfwin

2012 Cougar High Country 321res

Hello,

We have just ordered our 2012 Cougar HC 321res and have a few questions for anyone out there that has this unit. We have traded in our 2007 Jayco Eagle 328rls...so the size of the trailer is comparable, other than it is about 700lbs dry weight heavier and has a full length Queen bed...which is actually one of the main reasons we were looking.

There are a few things that I will miss with the Eagle...my RVQ! It seemed ridiculous to us when we bought the Jayco that it had a BBQ that attached to the side of the trailer and connected to the propane with a quick connect. But...it has actually been very convenient and fast when travelling...and I don't want to give it up! Is there such a BBQ for the 321? I also saw on line that on a lot of the Keystone trailers there is a slide out utility/bike rack at the back bumper. Does anyone know if the 321 has this? It would be great to not have to attach our bike rack as well.

Now I can't wait for next May...so that we can try out our new unit.

Thanks!
cfwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
pkemmerlin

Cougar HC 321 RES

We just ordered ours on Saturday. Congratulations!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfwin View Post
I also saw on line that on a lot of the Keystone trailers there is a slide out utility/bike rack at the back bumper. Does anyone know if the 321 has this? It would be great to not have to attach our bike rack as well.
Keystone's website lists the slide out bike/utility rack as an option for the Cougars, but there's no mention of it at all in the Cougar High Country section.

I think it would be wise of you to contact your dealer and have him make sure that it is part of your order.

FWIW, if you read through some of the threads here, there are a lot of issues with the slide out bike/utility rack. I can't say that all owners are having all the same problems, but the ones reported and discussed here are certainly worthy of your consideration.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

We have one of these pull-out bike/utility racks on our 5th. It seems that almost everyone who has one has modified it to some extent. Some have welded on extra supports, some have added a receiver to accept a "real" bike rack, and others have removed the spare tire to reduce the stress and weight.
As it comes, its usefulness as a bike rack is questionable and obviously there is enough concern about its structural strength and integrity to cause people to make changes in order to strengthen it or make the bike rack more user friendly.
If you do order one, be prepared to make some changes. Depending upon your ingenuity and handy-man skills, you might choose to leave it as is, change it yourself or have someone do it for you.
Also you should realize that with the extra footage extending out the rear, you need to be extra cautious about inclines and dips as it may scrap or drag when its tail hits the low spots.
As Steve advised in his post, browse through the posts and threads which deal more extensively with this topic. Use the forum search feature to access these articles.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
cfwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Keystone's website lists the slide out bike/utility rack as an option for the Cougars, but there's no mention of it at all in the Cougar High Country section.

I think it would be wise of you to contact your dealer and have him make sure that it is part of your order.

FWIW, if you read through some of the threads here, there are a lot of issues with the slide out bike/utility rack. I can't say that all owners are having all the same problems, but the ones reported and discussed here are certainly worthy of your consideration.
Thanks! We did check with our dealer and you are right...the bike rack is not available on the High Country. We have our bike rack that we used on our Jayco Eagle...so it'll be fine. I did read a lot of the comments about the slide out bike rack...but, was still intrigued!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
cfwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkemmerlin View Post
We just ordered ours on Saturday. Congradulations!
Congratulations to you too...pretty exciting stuff! It's going to be a long winter. We ordered it this Fall, but have arranged to complete the deal in May, when we trade ours in and pick up the new one. My husband wanted to make sure that we arranged it for the 3rd week in May...so that we have the warranty still in effect when we open it up for the next year to make sure all is good still. We did the same thing when we purchased our current trailer (although Jayco had a two year warranty) and it served us well!
Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
ScoobySue

Quote:
Hello,

We have just ordered our 2012 Cougar HC 321res and have a few questions for anyone out there that has this unit. We have traded in our 2007 Jayco Eagle 328rls...so the size of the trailer is comparable, other than it is about 700lbs dry weight heavier and has a full length Queen bed...which is actually one of the main reasons we were looking.

There are a few things that I will miss with the Eagle...my RVQ! It seemed ridiculous to us when we bought the Jayco that it had a BBQ that attached to the side of the trailer and connected to the propane with a quick connect. But...it has actually been very convenient and fast when travelling...and I don't want to give it up! Is there such a BBQ for the 321? I also saw on line that on a lot of the Keystone trailers there is a slide out utility/bike rack at the back bumper. Does anyone know if the 321 has this? It would be great to not have to attach our bike rack as well.

Now I can't wait for next May...so that we can try out our new unit.

Thanks!
Congratulations on your purchase! You will love the camper. We bought a2012 in May of this year and used the heck out of this season. Let me know if you have any questions!!
ScoobySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
byrdr1

Quote:
Hello,

We have just ordered our 2012 Cougar HC 321res and have a few questions for anyone out there that has this unit. We have traded in our 2007 Jayco Eagle 328rls...There are a few things that I will miss with the Eagle...my RVQ! Now I can't wait for next May...so that we can try out our new unit.
Thanks!
Keep your RVQ! You not going to get anything extra for the trade with it in it. Keep it and use it. If you new camper has a quick connect. You can easily buy the slider piece that attaches tot eh side of your new camper.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
321res, cougar, high coountry, quick connect