Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
f6bits

How do you know when your tank is too full?

I’ve not found a description of this:
What happens when your grey or black tank is too full?

For the grey, does it just back up into the shower/tub basin? When my grey indicator is FULL, I’m not sure if it’s accurate or not.

For the black, does it just fill up to the valve, and then some? I’ve experimented by by letting the toilet flush a constant flow of water while shining a flashlight down the opening, but stopped before it got too close to the top.

In either case, are the tanks sealed well enough that overflow won’t send waste water elsewhere?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If your tanks are full, any additional water/waste will be dispersed elsewhere in the system and that is usually back up through the pipes into your sink basin(s) or shower/tub, or the toilet. The fluids have to go somewhere - the tank and pipes can't expand to hold any additional volume.
The holding tanks should already be sealed properly so they won't allow any excess fluids to leak out where the PVC pipes join the tanks.
Holding tank read-out indicators are notorious for giving false readings - especially the black tank. If they aren't flushed out properly or the insides allowed to dry out, any solids or other crud may build up around the sensors and give false readings. That is why it is important to keep your tanks both clean and moist.
There are numerous posts already on the forum about holding tanks and what people do to clean them out, to keep them and the sensors clean. I would suggest doing a forum or Google search since this topic has already been discussed at great lengths earlier on the forum.
You probably shouldn't notice any false readings if you are experimenting with clean water. These readings may appear after you have used them for a period of time.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
f6bits

That’s the info I was looking for. I’m a neat-freak, so my tanks are ridiculously flushed, cleaned, and treated. I’ve just noticed that when my FULL light turns on as expected, some more use hasn’t caused anything to overflow. It makes me think that “FULL” is more like 90+ percent of my 30 gallons.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 03-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
2011 keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
It makes me think that “FULL” is more like 90+ percent of my 30 gallons.

X 2 When mine reads full there is still a little room.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
allentx1

Just to add to what Festus said with a funny story... my in laws were using our 5th wheel and we got a call that the sink was backed up in the kitchen. I went over to assist and noticed a plunger outside the door. When I asked what that was for (my trailer, I want to know if something is broken) mom in law says we tried to plunge the sink... didn't work. I informed them that all the water they washed down the sink had to go somewhere and that somewhere was a small tank under neath. That has to be emptied periodically. Anyway, emptied and the water drained. I have also found that the toilets will fill into the pipe and really cause you not to want to use them...

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
mhs4771

Ditto the Gray water backing up in the tub or kitchen sink. On ours we can continue using the toilet till it "Burps". A little hard to explain, but once it does it you'll know. Some times you can just tell by the different sound it will make as it's flushed.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
hankaye

Howdy All;

Forgive me please....

"How do you know when your tank is too full?"

You know when you hear a squishing sound when you walk around in the RV.

Hard to pass-up a good one-liner when someone lays out the streight line for ya... I'll behave now.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
golfpro

I saw a video on this very question. the guy filled his black and his grey tank with a five gallon bucket, until the sensor light just came on, then he kept filling to see how many gallons he could put in before the water came up into the shower. then he knew for sure just how many gallons he could safely put into the tanks. to me it was a waste of water. I for one go until the lights come on then dump. As far as I'm concerned it is full and needs to be dumped ASAP
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
outbackmac

agreed

i agree with Golgpro when my sensor reads full i flush real soon after that, chemicals are cheaper than getting that lovely smell in the trailer,
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
f6bits

If it’s 10 at night and I’m camped without a sewer hookup and the FULL light comes on, I’d like to know if I can make it until morning.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
hankaye

golfpro, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro View Post
I saw a video on this very question. the guy filled his black and his grey tank with a five gallon bucket, until the sensor light just came on, then he kept filling to see how many gallons he could put in before the water came up into the shower. then he knew for sure just how many gallons he could safely put into the tanks. to me it was a waste of water. I for one go until the lights come on then dump. As far as I'm concerned it is full and needs to be dumped ASAP
I think the 5 gallon bucket trick is great! if that's how one takes a shower or flushes a commode.....
The commode sounds different (Lighter pitch/tone whatever), when it's near full (ALL my lights are lit ALL of the time),
the amount the shower tank holds/amount of flow for the shower head ='s X number of minutes of shower time or # of showers
Add to that (or subtract glass full/empty principle applies), a gallon or 2 for lavy usage. BINGO!!! time to flush.....
Common sense is terriffic when used...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

This is a true story. While camping in Canada these 3 very nice ladies form hooland pulled in next to us with a class c form 1800 rent rvs. the agent just gave them the keys with out instructions. they set hooked up the city water after about 3/4 of an hour i was outside and noticed the hose was hooked to the black water flush. I ran over shut the water off and somehow managed to tell them what they did wrong and not to touch the toilet. then we hooked up the sewr hose and I had one lady pull the black valve while I stood on the hose where it went into the ground. That hose realy flapped around. i can onlyimagin how much pressure that toilet held back but if they had used the potty oh lord can you imagine the mess!! one thing for sure it was well flushed for sure. we all go a good laugh over that.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
If it’s 10 at night and I’m camped without a sewer hookup and the FULL light comes on, I’d like to know if I can make it until morning.
That's more a function of how much you plan to use it between 10 PM and whatever time in the AM that you can dump. I am pretty certain that if the light has just come on, you and the Mrs. will be fine overnight under normal usage.

If you are a site with full hookups, I don't see that this is much of an issue. However if you're dry camped like we do for two weeks at a time, relying on the indicator lights alone is probably not the best plan. With my last trailer, the bottom of the toilet was an inch or two above the top of the tank so I could just look down there and accurately judge how full the tank was at any time. However, the Cougar has that basement under the toilet and above the tank which is going to make it a lot tougher to know how full the tank really is.

I tend to treat the tanks as full when the 3/4 light comes on and plan to dump the next morning.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
john I

i know when mine is full when i hear,"Honey why is the tub not draining". but seriously my tub not draining is how i know it is full, the indicator light comes on around 90% full.