Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Benrubid

Propane hookup

Where my two propane tanks are hooked up, each have a line that hooks up into a central point. At that point there is the switch that you can change from left tank to right tank. My question is below that switch is a plastic cover, that i cannot see what is behind it. I was wondering if that was a spot to hook in a third line for a grill outside? I doubt it because it already has the low pressure line under the stairs. Then i thought that might be where the regulator is. I tried to pull the cover off, but I am afraid to break it. Anyone know what that is under the cover?

Thanks for your help.

2012 Fuzion 322
2012 F350 Dually
Benrubid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The changeover regulator with the black plastic lever has a cap or cover which is not all that easy to see. The "cap" is actually an indicator which shows either red or green --- again, not easy to spot. When the indicator or cap is showing red, it means that whatever tank you have been drawing propane from is empty and you need to switch over to the other tank.

You shouldn't be trying to pry off this cover ----- it is an indicator.

When you flip the lever over to the other side, the indicator will turn green.
There are different ways that you can use the twin tanks. Have them both open or just one and the switching procedure will be a bit different depending on how you have your tanks set up.

Hope this helps to answer your question.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Benrubid

Here is a link to a picture of what I am seeing

http://www.nelsonsrvs.com/rv/keyston...ne_Fuzion_322#

2012 Fuzion 322
2012 F350 Dually
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Benrubid

doesnt look like the link went right to the photo, but there is a photo of the propane taks with the white platic piece I am referring to. Looks like the main line hooks into there, but is that it.

2012 Fuzion 322
2012 F350 Dually
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Your propane setup is different from ours. Without seeing it up close, I suspect that the white plastic shroud /cover may do the same thing - show red or green when the tank(s) are full or empty. Somewhere in your unit, you should have some indication of whether or not your tanks have propane in them or are empty.

Do you see anything in the propane compartment that looks like a round "dome" with either a red or green band running around it? It should be located near the regulator which apparently you are unable to locate as well. Perhaps the regulator is located behind this white shroud???? There has to be a regulator between the two tanks.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
KJcachers

Why do you feel the need to take things apart? Is something not working or are you just being overly curious?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
christopherglenn

best guess it is the regulator (the top part is the change over valve, and possible a high pressure stage). If you want low pressure, you can Tee into the threaded hose connecting the bottom of the regulator to the steel pipe under the trailer. If you need high pressure, either unplug one of the tanks, or look at "extend a flow" devices.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Benrubid

KJcachers, I have no desire to take things apart (not very mechanically inclined.)
The reason I ask is I convinced my DW that I needed the Coleman grill and have been using a significant amount of the green propane tanks. i have read several threads on here that Colman uses propritery technology for their fittings and I can not buy an adaptor to go from my low pressure line under the camper stairs to the grill, so I was not sure if there was another high pressure hook up where the tanks were.
Oh, I also saw several postings about folks who have made there own adaptors for the Colman grills so they could hook up to the low pressure line (again not inclined enough to make this on my own).
If this is just the regulator then, I read, I can buy a big tank and a line that will scew into the Colman regulator. just trying to avoid carrying one more thing.

2012 Fuzion 322
2012 F350 Dually
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benrubid View Post
doesnt look like the link went right to the photo, but there is a photo of the propane taks with the white platic piece I am referring to. Looks like the main line hooks into there, but is that it.
The white plastic piece you're referring to is a CAMCO protective cover for the regulator. Here's a link for it:

http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merc...ct_Code=302008

Under that plastic cover is a black plastic screw-on cap that may have an adjustment screw for the low pressure regulator (most do not have the adjustment screw) which you can turn to increase or decrease gas pressure . This requires a manometer to adjust.

On the metal regulator body, the tube shaped protrusion pointing down is only the vent to allow the regulator to vent off excess gas pressure. The purpose of the plastic shield is to help keep it open and free of ice/snow buildup. Most RV's don't have the shield and that's why you are having problems with people recognizing it for what it is.

My advice to you would be: There are no user service items under the shield, leave it alone and don't tamper. Marshall two stage automatic changeover regulators are, for the most part, remove and replace items with no service required.

There is no third hose connection capability on the regulator.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Your Coleman grill has it's own regulator and needs high pressure LP. I use an adapter hose to replace the little tanks and a fitting on the tank and it works great and I leave the hose coiled up in the tank compartment. Can be used with anything that works on disposable cylinders. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benrubid View Post
KJcachers, I have no desire to take things apart (not very mechanically inclined.)
The reason I ask is I convinced my DW that I needed the Coleman grill and have been using a significant amount of the green propane tanks. i have read several threads on here that Colman uses propritery technology for their fittings and I can not buy an adaptor to go from my low pressure line under the camper stairs to the grill, so I was not sure if there was another high pressure hook up where the tanks were.
Oh, I also saw several postings about folks who have made there own adaptors for the Colman grills so they could hook up to the low pressure line (again not inclined enough to make this on my own).
If this is just the regulator then, I read, I can buy a big tank and a line that will scew into the Colman regulator. just trying to avoid carrying one more thing.
To further confuse things, which Coleman grill? If you are looking for a BBQ for the camper, you may want to consider the Weber Q series. Lots of campers swear by them and for good reason - it is a great grill and very durable.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
The changeover regulator with the black plastic lever has a cap or cover which is not all that easy to see. The "cap" is actually an indicator which shows either red or green --- again, not easy to spot. When the indicator or cap is showing red, it means that whatever tank you have been drawing propane from is empty and you need to switch over to the other tank.

You shouldn't be trying to pry off this cover ----- it is an indicator.

When you flip the lever over to the other side, the indicator will turn green.
There are different ways that you can use the twin tanks. Have them both open or just one and the switching procedure will be a bit different depending on how you have your tanks set up.

Hope this helps to answer your question.
FESTUS2,
Your description of the propane indicator is fabulous. I was about to post a question and decided to do a search on propane operation because I was thinking there should be an indicator at the second tank and didn't realize the indicator on the primary tank side, the side with the switchover lever, actually shows green when switched to the second tank.

I want to thank you and again stress how valuable this forum is. I love it.

Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Bob Landry

Unless you are just really attached to Coleman grills, I would opt for a Weber. The regulator can be easily removed and an adapter for a propane hose can be installed. Weber uses standard pipe thread fittings. That will let you plug into the low pressure QC under the trailer.

Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
CPE

Hose/Adapter

Thanks good info for me. I am planning on getting a portable grill and don't want to use the throwaway cylinders. Links were perfect info.!
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
Htfiremedic

Second that. We looked at several at CW Asheville last week.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote