Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Radioguy

Massive delamination (I'm baaack)

A couple of months ago, I posted some pictures of delamination on my 2010 Keystone Cougar 24RKS. The delamination was occuring on the forward and rear radiuses....as the front and rear caps arched to meet the rubber roof. The delamination was awful....and the factory refused to stand behind the product, in that it was outside of warranty by 1.5 years. The cause was down to two possible things...water intrusion and delamination caused by heat. My trailer is back in the driveway tonight. I have just spent 4 thousand dollars to have the front and rear caps replaced. The verdict? No water intrusion whatsoever. The delamination was caused by the melting of the glue that bonds the filon to the cardboard backing. The weather never exceeded 86 degrees for the ten days I used my new RV cover. It amazes me that Cougar does not warn owners of possible delamination with the use of brand name sun covers. It also amazes me that the well-known manufacturer of these sun covers does not warn users of possible delamination of fiberglass RV's when using their covers. Happy to have my trailer back...but out 4 thousand dollars to do it. I have a friend who has the same issue with his identical model...and is a whole lot more serious about a legal remedy that I have opportunity to do.
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Glad your RV is repaired, but not real happy about how you had to go about it. Keep us posted on your friend's outcome, you may find that he paves the way for you to follow to recoup some of your expenses...

Happy camping

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
antiqfreq

I used an ADCO cover on my previous RV, which was a 21 footer for 4 years and living in So. FL we had lots of sun and nothing ever delaminated on my RV.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
azlee56

I was wondering what the outcome was, because of your experience I am afraid to use a cover. I hope someone is able to battle this out, because it should never happen. I remember your pictures very well.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
zippy

I posted on previous post about my 2012 Passport with bubbles and cracks on the front and rear panels caused by heat from a cover. I was lucky, mine was still in warranty. I was sick when I uncovered my new 3 month old camper and seen the damage. I will not cover mine again. I agree with you that no where in the owners manual or the manufacture of the cover do they state to not cover it in the heat. I thought that is what the cover was for to protect it from the sun. Sorry your was not covered under the warranty.
r
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Radioguy

Thank you...

You do certainly meet the best folks in the RV'ing world. Thanks for your comments and thoughts. Yes, I really hope this experience can at least lead to some warnings from the companies involved. On another subject, it was really interesting to see what filon looks like when it's off the trailer and on the refuse pile. About 1/8 inch skin, backed by two layers of cardboard. Easy to see why it goes nuts if water intrudes a seam. Anyhow, thanks for your support and have a great winter RV'ing. We're just going to go out about every two to three weeks and enjoy the close-by county and state parks. Still working for a living! Best to you all.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
LaserRob

Radioguy: Thanks for the update. I believe I have the same model & year trailer. I acquired it this past summer. I've been thinking about covering it, but now, I am concerned about covering it.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
fred1609

Wouldn't putting your rig under cover be OK for the winter? But maybe not fr the summer
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Radioguy

I guess I could do that. But, I'm just a little skittish after paying the 4 grand. My repair guy said that he would warrant his work for one year...but, please don't use the cover. I know his primary meaning to keep it off in the summer. I also had a radio antenna installed and I don't think the cover will work with that. Don't want to keep it bent over like that.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

The radio antenna may be able to be removed or laid flat. Check to see if it simply screws into a threaded base and removed or if it can be lowered by loosening a nut to lay flat on the roof.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Radioguy

Antenna

Thank you....great idea.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
BruLaz

So the front and back wall Filon layers of Cougar Half-Ton and Passport trailers are not backed by lauan, just some cardboard.

Guess the Fibreglass cap of the Cougar X-Lite, Laredo and others fixes the front. But I wonder about the rear wall on these: cardboard or lauan?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
ewkearns

I can't image anything a cover could do to increase the temperature of a surface directly exposed to the sun.... unless the cover was of a very dark shade and had no reflectivity.

Aircraft made of "plastic" are covered all of the time and I have never heard any instances of delamination due to heating.....

Quite to the contrary, I would think that the constructions should be accomplished with thermoset materials..... in which case NO amount of heat (short of burning) would cause an issue.....

If the manufacturer is using thermoplastic sealing materials then they, not the cover, are at fault....
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
ewkearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Terry B

Delamination Problem

I have a 2007 243RKS that also has started showing signs of delamination on the front radius. Mine has never been under a cover but unfortunately it is parked outside with the front of the trailer facing south. Our Southern California summer temps. often get up in the 90-100's. Decals have taken a beating as well!!

I gather from all the posts that there is no recourse with Keystone on this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougar Trailer.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	4079  
Terry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
beer breath

I notice that the new 5th wheels seem to have the Filon hanging on the back. What I mean is, if you push on it, it flexes and then you feel the solid surface beneath. I had a Rockwood that delaminated badly on the back wall (FR covered under warranty), so when we shopped for our 5er I tested the back panel of Keystone and FR products and both have the same method.

I guess it eliminates de-lam because it is not laminated to start with.

Most seem to have the molded front caps too.

-Matt
2013 Sydney 340FBH
beer breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Ken / Claudia

My Artic Fox showed signs of delamb on the front after about 3 years, I waited another 3 years where it went from golf ball size to soft ball size. Took it back to factory (200) miles. Paid 1200 for new front. Got a cover from CW put it on for the winter , next spring after several weeks of warm temps. I removed cover and found decor had bonded to the cover in different places. I did not use a cover anymore.
The delamb was due to water from roof to front seam. And I had applied decor to it 2 times thru those years as I thought I should. But, I did not apply in time. The leak was already there.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

Terry B

Since your RV is well outside the 1 year warranty with Keystone, it is highly unlikely that you would receive any compensation from them about both the delamination and the peeling decals. You might inquire about the decals - you may get lucky and Keystone might send you replacements but won't cover any costs/labour for removal and installation.

Might be worth a try. "All they can do is say 'no'".
Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
gearhead

Jeez, I need some help here. We just bought a new Cougar XLite 28SGS. Immediately bought an Adco Tyvek cover. Someone please explain their thought process on how a white breathable cover would increase the temp enough to cause delamination.
Maybe just an excuse from the manufacturer??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
antiqfreq

I never used a cover on our fiver but our previous rv, a 21 ft trailer, we did for four years with no problems at all.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
rdowning

2009 Cougar 300 SRX Delaminating

I have a 2009 Cougar toy hauler. We purchased a new RV cover for it in early July this year. We covered the camper with it in mid July, to "protect the roof from the suns damage". We removed it in mid August to use it. The front end cap has completely delaminated. Our camper was perfect and is now trashed because we used an RV cover to try to protect our camper from the suns damage. We are a retired couple and don't have the money to fix it on our income. Somebody should be responsible for this damage.
rdowning is offline   Reply With Quote