Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2015, 03:56 AM   #101
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog130 View Post
Esmoglo,
I like the door lock mod. I just installed one on my house because my daughter constantly forgets to take her house key to school with her. And it's very convenient for the whole family. I looked at a few like yours online and can't believe the prices. More expensive than residential door locks. I'm going to stick with my key for now but might consider one once I do some other mods.

No doubt it is quite expensive however at the rate I lose stuff from time to time I can only imagine $200 is much less versus having to have somebody break the lock to get inside the RV. Unfortunately, I missed the bandwagon they had a black Friday deal for $189.00 however at $204 with free shipping it still wasn’t bad, no tax in the purchase either. Lock itself is quite hefty and well-made is not a cheap piece of junk so you can certainly rest assure it will do the job it needs to do.

Next up for me is trying to rectify the bedroom storage issue mattress itself is quite heavy my wife cannot lift it which makes using the storage underneath it difficult to use because it requires two people all the time. Will order strut kit from camper’s world over the Christmas holiday and see what I can come up with. Overall platform for the that is actually quite flimsy so it may very well require me to use an additional pieces of wood here and there to bolster the strength. I will keep you all posted.

At the rate I’m changing stuff on this RV whoever buys it in the future will be quite happy because I fixed all its shortcomings…LOL.

To be honest with you in some sense I have buyer’s remorse and wish I would’ve spent 8000 more on a Winnebago but you live and learn.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #102
mfifield01

I ended up with the standard strut kit (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...lift-kit/66717). I have a 3" topper that is about 20-30lbs, so I tried the heavy kit. It didn't work. It was a pain to get adjusted correctly. I used 2x4's to add support, but you can't run one all the way across. There's the support in the middle of the bed.

In the end, it helps hold the bed up. You need to be careful when lifting and shutting, since the platform can bend a little. I can do it by myself, but I don't know if my wife can. You need to reach all the way across to shut it and pull from both corners to open it.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #103
lawdog130

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
Lock itself is quite hefty and well-made is not a cheap piece of junk so you can certainly rest assure it will do the job it needs to do.

Next up for me is trying to rectify the bedroom storage issue mattress itself is quite heavy my wife cannot lift it which makes using the storage underneath it difficult to use because it requires two people all the time.

At the rate I’m changing stuff on this RV whoever buys it in the future will be quite happy because I fixed all its shortcomings…LOL.
Glad to hear that the door lock seems well made. I'd like to get one but have other mods in mind first. Regarding the bed, like mfifield01, I have a large topper which adds significant weight to the bed so I didn't think the hydraulic openers would work. I ended up attaching a 1" dowel to a hinge at the end of the bed that drops down to the floor when I lift it. I usually lift the first foot by hand and then bend over and lift the rest with my shoulder until the dowel drops down. So far it works great.

I agree with you on the mods. At the rate I'm going I will complete all the upgrades just about the time my daughter decides she doesn't want to camp with us anymore and we will end up up getting a new camper without a bunk house and I'll have to start over again!

Good luck with the bed mod!

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #104
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I ended up with the standard strut kit (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...lift-kit/66717). I have a 3" topper that is about 20-30lbs, so I tried the heavy kit. It didn't work. It was a pain to get adjusted correctly. I used 2x4's to add support, but you can't run one all the way across. There's the support in the middle of the bed.

In the end, it helps hold the bed up. You need to be careful when lifting and shutting, since the platform can bend a little. I can do it by myself, but I don't know if my wife can. You need to reach all the way across to shut it and pull from both corners to open it.
Yea I have a matress topper as well think I will also need the heavy kit as well don't know for sure.

Can you post a photo of what you have done to yours?
Old 12-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #105
esmoglo

Quote:
esmoglo,

yes, both the porch light and the LED strip are powered by the single circuit supplied to the porch light. The porch light is a replacement to the original and came with the square LED bulb. It is not as bright as the original incandescent bulb but the LED strip makes up for any light shortcomings! I purchased the porch light, switch and LED strip through Amazon.com. Here are links to each item:

Switch:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00

LED strip:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

Porch light:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

The main reason I chose this LED strip was that in came with a channel to slide the light strip in. This way the LED strip itself is not permanently attached to the camper and I can replace it with a different color if I want to.
Ok ordered all of this from Amazon if I need any technical assistance I will send you a message...LOL.. Now I see you used a small srip of some kind to hide the wires coming out of the light what is that exactly?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #106
mfifield01

Quote:
Yea I have a matress topper as well think I will also need the heavy kit as well don't know for sure.

Can you post a photo of what you have done to yours?
You'll probably need the standard. The wood platform is so thin that the heavy may not lift it. I'm using the standard. I'll grab a pic early next week.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #107
lawdog130

Quote:
Ok ordered all of this from Amazon if I need any technical assistance I will send you a message...LOL.. Now I see you used a small srip of some kind to hide the wires coming out of the light what is that exactly?
I used a small piece of WireMold cord channel and painted it black. I got it at Home Depot in the electrical section.

Here is a link form the HD website:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiremold-...-C10/202059078

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 12-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #108
lawdog130

water leak

It has been warm and wet (raining for 2 days) here in New England. Today I went out to the camper to place something in the front storage compartment and when I opened it the floor was wet. I had several items in cardboard boxes on the floor that were completely soaked. The "ceiling" area and walls were completely leading me to believe the water is coming in through either the foam seal or the door frame.

Anyone else have a similar problem and if so, what did you do to correct it? Unfortunately the warranty expired in September so it's on me to fix it. For now, I'm going to tape a plastic bag over the entire door.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 12-25-2015, 06:17 AM   #109
Tbos

I saw some water in there on the slide side after I towed in the rain. I checked after some other rains and it was dry. I need to check it again since we have been having a deluge of rain here in MD too. When it hasn't been raining it's been real humid. Not fun. Merry Christmas everyone.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:15 AM   #110
slow

Quote:
............. when I opened it the floor was wet. I had several items in cardboard boxes on the floor that were completely soaked. The "ceiling" area and walls were completely leading me to believe the water is coming in through either the foam seal or the door frame.

Anyone else have a similar problem and if so, what did you do to correct it? Unfortunately the warranty expired in September so it's on me to fix it. For now, I'm going to tape a plastic bag over the entire door.
Mine was leaking at the joint between the door frame on the sidewall and the extrusion that serves as the hinge for the door. The door frame and the hinge extrusion at first glance appear to be one piece but they are not. A bead of sealant at this interface took care of the issue.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #111
Tbos

Checked mine today. Looked ok. Hope you can figure it out easily.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:14 AM   #112
esmoglo

Installed the new LED light strip with new LED outside fixture. Works well special thanks to lawdog130 for posting all the info on were to purchase all the needed items to make this installation a snap. Did have to drill two new holes to make the new stock looking RV fixture fit because the holes were not the same distance but other than that it was not a big deal. Fitting the LED light into the track was a PITA very tight fit. Also polarity is reversed for the LED’s VS the stock incandescent bulbs.

Took a few photos of the finished product along with my wiring diagram, and new bug cover installed on the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	9854   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	9855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1439.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	9856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1471.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	9857  
Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 AM   #113
Tbos

Looks real nice. I want to do this mod this coming spring.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #114
mfifield01

I was just mocking my Led strip up last night. I'm using an aluminum channel and plan to spray it black. Also, I picked up the remote dimmer.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:18 AM   #115
esmoglo

Quote:
I was just mocking my Led strip up last night. I'm using an aluminum channel and plan to spray it black. Also, I picked up the remote dimmer.
Cool good luck with the install, my channel is plastic and quite strong indeed. Over all I spent like $75 for everything including shipping so it was a nice upgrade at a reasonable price. The extra light will be welcomed because the small porch light is not adequate at all.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #116
Tbos

Quote:
I'm interested in how your install comes out too. Sounds like you are using a different LED set. Where did you get yours?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #117
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I'm interested in how your install comes out too. Sounds like you are using a different LED set. Where did you get yours?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I got most of the items from Amazon (below). I had one issue with running the wires and making it look clean. I wanted to have the light go over the main entry door, so I had to run the wires inside the aluminum channel. It didn't really want to fit. Basically, I had to run it to the sides of the LED strip. The final results are below.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01339F5ZO/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/lederTEK-Wirel...ct_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers...ct_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o00_s00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151231_131233.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	9868   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151231_131223.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	9869   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151231_131114.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	9870  
Old 01-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #118
Tbos

2016 Passport 2810BH

LED install came out looking really nice. How did you run the wires next to the track? Did you have to use RTV to keep them in place? I don't have the aluminum wheels. That option looks sharp.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #119
mfifield01

I ran them inside the track. It's mostly under the LED strip.

Tires are a little dirty from the ground at storage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #120
Tbos

If you still have your rig out of storage can you take a picture of the area just under the front diamond plate? Interested in seeing if it looks like mine. I think you said it did.